Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Teacher calls for police because student won't say pledge

120 posts in this topic

Posted

i got nothing to defeat the holocaust/evolution comparisoin..

Posted

I don't remember specifically from 10 years ago, but I can tell you that evolution was a part of my biology class and the text was speculative and very very general about it. It also had almost no bearing on the rest of the class. (cells, mitosis, genetics, botany, ecosystems, etc)

That's sad. Evolution is the cornerstone of biology.

Posted

i got nothing to defeat the holocaust/evolution comparisoin..

Sarcasm is a great defense mechanism. no worries.

Posted

*hands up in the air*

Posted

Good...good...now wave them...wave them like you just don't care...excellent...

Posted

I won't say the pledge because I feel it constitutes idol worship.

Posted

Good point. Sometimes I find myself kneeling at the flag, praying to it, I even get the feeling that it wants me to sacrifice my own son as an offering. How can I distinguish the flags voice from my own? I just want to be in its will.

1 person likes this

Posted

That's sad. Evolution is the cornerstone of biology.

Maybe, but is it the cornerstone of basic high school biology? to explain the basics of biology in terms of evolution is like explaining the basics of chemistry in terms of quantum mechanics. Sure, it makes sense of more complex questions that some of the brighter students may have, but it also needlessly muddies the water and makes for some pretty disjointed curriculum. JMO.

Posted

the thread slippage proves moi's point..but..what did I expect..ha ha

Posted

Maybe, but is it the cornerstone of basic high school biology? to explain the basics of biology in terms of evolution is like explaining the basics of chemistry in terms of quantum mechanics. Sure, it makes sense of more complex questions that some of the brighter students may have, but it also needlessly muddies the water and makes for some pretty disjointed curriculum. JMO.

Agree to an extent. But you need to teach the general concepts. And they can be backed up with evidence not just assertions.

Posted

in my high school biology class, the teacher taught evolution, then said "it's not required, but would you guys like to talk about creationism as well?"

we laaaaaaughed. then said no.

students are smarter than you give them credit for. kids already know that creationism is a crock of poo.

Posted

I hate kids. We have an entire nation of cheap labor at our disposal, something to get this economy working again, and we instead have them learning worthless info all day from people who couldn't find better jobs out there. And we wonder why China is overtaking us...

1 person likes this