119 replies to this topic

#46 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,527 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:10 PM

Maybe, but is it the cornerstone of basic high school biology? to explain the basics of biology in terms of evolution is like explaining the basics of chemistry in terms of quantum mechanics. Sure, it makes sense of more complex questions that some of the brighter students may have, but it also needlessly muddies the water and makes for some pretty disjointed curriculum. JMO.

Agree to an extent. But you need to teach the general concepts. And they can be backed up with evidence not just assertions.

#47 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,677 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:12 PM

in my high school biology class, the teacher taught evolution, then said "it's not required, but would you guys like to talk about creationism as well?"

we laaaaaaughed. then said no.

students are smarter than you give them credit for. kids already know that creationism is a crock of poo.

#48 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:22 PM

I hate kids. We have an entire nation of cheap labor at our disposal, something to get this economy working again, and we instead have them learning worthless info all day from people who couldn't find better jobs out there. And we wonder why China is overtaking us...

#49 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,101 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:42 PM

This is like as if Panthers Lover was beamed up into two personalities like Captain Kirk in "The Enemy Within".

#50 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,746 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:55 PM

No for the pledge

No for the other question (within reason)

also the teacher called the cops. That is getting ridiculous as well.

So, if a teacher tells a kid to stand up in class, you think the kid has the right to say no? If that is what you mean, I completely disagree.

#51 The Link

The Link

Satire Enthusiast

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:57 PM

So, if a teacher tells a kid to stand up in class, you think the kid has the right to say no? If that is what you mean, I completely disagree.

Any other time asking a kid to stand up would be acceptable, and if the kid said no, it would be right to punish them. However, like I said, the pledge of allegiance requires you to stand with your hand over your heart whilst you recite the words. She was asked to stand to take part in the pledge, and she refused, which is her right. She then got in trouble for exercising her right.

#52 Ccat

Ccat

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 667 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 12:58 PM

church and state. Gotta keep em separated. Ideally, I would like prayer in school. But I see where the founders are coming from of what happens when you mix certain elements together.
Which is the thrust of my other comments which are gonna get parsed to the inth degree and miss where I'm getting at.

There is a big difference between requiring people to pray and ALLOWING people to pray. If I want to pray when I'm at school, I can, and it is perfectly legal. No one is requiring me to do so, but I have the choice and that does not somehow combine church and state.

#53 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,746 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:03 PM

Any other time asking a kid to stand up would be acceptable, and if the kid said no, it would be right to punish them. However, like I said, the pledge of allegiance requires you to stand with your hand over your heart whilst you recite the words. She was asked to stand to take part in the pledge, and she refused, which is her right. She then got in trouble for exercising her right.

Got it. I was confused by your second line in your post.

I tend to agree about standing for the pledge. If she was not being disruptive nor confrontational, the teacher should have allowed her to quietly stay seated.

However, I guarantee you that the kid's motives were more to show the teacher up than being offended by the pledge. If she politely said that she did not feel comfortable with the pledge, she should be been left alone.

I bet it went something like this....

Teacher tells class to stand and recite the pledge. Kid kicks her feet up onher desk and says "Hell no, I ain't got to say no pledge to no flag...and you can't fugin' make me".

#54 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,677 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:27 PM

i don't even agree that a teacher should be able to tell a student to stand on their whim. it's not the military, schools aren't there to instill discipline, they're there to teach. students should be able to use their judgment on if they agree with what they're being told to do when it doesn't directly involve school work.

a student's job is to listen, do their school work, and learn. not obey their masters' arbitrary whim.

#55 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:36 PM

i don't even agree that a teacher should be able to tell a student to stand on their whim. it's not the military, schools aren't there to instill discipline, they're there to teach. students should be able to use their judgment on if they agree with what they're being told to do when it doesn't directly involve school work.

a student's job is to listen, do their school work, and learn. not obey their masters' arbitrary whim.

When you colored with crayons you didn't stay in the lines, did you? You probably made your hippos purple and the sky green and all kinds of communist things.

#56 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,746 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 01:36 PM

If you allow students to decide what teacher instructions they will abide by, you are in trouble.

School is there also to teach respect, discipline, etc...

#57 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,527 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:02 PM

When you colored with crayons you didn't stay in the lines, did you? You probably made your hippos purple and the sky green and all kinds of communist things.

Wouldn't the commie make children stand up, color inside the lines and color the hippos the exact color they told them too.

#58 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:11 PM

Wouldn't the commie make children stand up, color inside the lines and color the hippos the exact color they told them too.

Don't interrupt my cross examination again, counselor.

#59 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,896 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:13 PM

You and CatofWar were separated at birth weren't ya?

#60 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,869 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 25 February 2010 - 02:14 PM

That depends, is the teacher a capitalist pig?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com