• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#61 thejimmy

thejimmy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:41 AM

Sorry. I am completely on the side of JR here. He offered a big, and credible, deal to Pep. Pep refused b/c he wants to be the highest paid defender. He's not good enough to warrant that kind of jack. So you accept your losses and move on.

Second, free agency sucks. I can't believe you guys think free agency is the way to go. You overpay, and the player usually doesn't play up to his deal. I am a firm believer in building through the draft and I'm thrilled the Panthers do to. I think they draft well and that's the route I want to go.

Third, we've got some important players that we need to re-sign. Signing Pep means some of those players wouldn't. Do you guys honestly want to break the bank on a player who doesn't give his all versus a collection of guys (TD, Marshall, Dwill) that do?

Hey losing Pep sucks. But I'm not in his corner on this one. This franchise has bent over backwards for him. And he's all about the money? Forget him. Move on.

#62 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,896 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:13 AM

I don't think you guys read into the article. JR might not be a big player in free agency this year (which goes in line with Hurney saying he wants to put the biggest emphisis on the draft) but he didn't say the team wouldn't spend the extra money to extend it's own players. If we go uncapped, tender all our restricted free agents (and nobody signs them away from us), and then a new CBA is worked out for the 2011 season with a new cap, here is a partial list of our UFA's this time next year:

Deangelo Williams
Thomas Davis
Ryan Kalil
Matt Moore
Richard Marshall
Charles Johnson
Dante Rosario
Jeff King
Damione Lewis
Brad Hoover
Dwayne Jarrett
Louis Leonard
Tank Tyler
James Anderson
Quinton Teal

oh and Jon Beason will be entering his final year of his contract this time next year (yep, only two years left)

In other words, lets work on the extensions with this money. And with an uncapped season, we may be able to front load them allowing the biggest cap hit in the first year. With it being uncapped...why not.

#63 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 11:34 AM

I don't think you guys read into the article. JR might not be a big player in free agency this year (which goes in line with Hurney saying he wants to put the biggest emphisis on the draft) but he didn't say the team wouldn't spend the extra money to extend it's own players. If we go uncapped, tender all our restricted free agents (and nobody signs them away from us), and then a new CBA is worked out for the 2011 season with a new cap, here is a partial list of our UFA's this time next year:

Deangelo Williams
Thomas Davis
Ryan Kalil
Matt Moore
Richard Marshall
Charles Johnson
Dante Rosario
Jeff King
Damione Lewis
Brad Hoover
Dwayne Jarrett
Louis Leonard
Tank Tyler
James Anderson
Quinton Teal

oh and Jon Beason will be entering his final year of his contract this time next year (yep, only two years left)

In other words, lets work on the extensions with this money. And with an uncapped season, we may be able to front load them allowing the biggest cap hit in the first year. With it being uncapped...why not.

that's just crazy talk.

#64 KatsAzz

KatsAzz

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 12:56 PM

Deangelo Williams
Thomas Davis
Ryan Kalil
Matt Moore
Richard Marshall
Charles Johnson
Dante Rosario
Jeff King
Damione Lewis
Brad Hoover
Dwayne Jarrett
Louis Leonard
Tank Tyler
James Anderson
Quinton Teal

The front load plan would be a good idea but i believe i read somewhere that the league was going to make it a rule a team could not go the heavy front load route.

If someone can find this rule print it up for all to view.

#65 Snake

Snake

swagaholic

• HUDDLER
  • 11,654 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 02:43 PM

So because Peppers is gone the whole team is garbage? I think the consensus last year even when Peppers wasn't playing well early in the year was that most of the games we lost were mostly because of turnovers/ineffective QB play. I don't think we are downgraded that much as a defense since Peppers disappeared for long stretches anyway. Of course losing a great pass rusher like that hurts but over all the defense was playing extremely well as a whole. I mean besides the minnesota/arizona game, there wasn't any other game in which Peppers played so well that he looked irreplaceable. Plus he only has had 27.5 sacks the last 3 years and we paid him 44 mill. That's not worth 15 mill or 21 mill salary cap or no salary cap. Plus we can't continue to let JP hold us hostage on what might happen. There is no reason he shouldn't have had a 18 sack year.

Not Garbage... Worse.... Your dont lose a Pro bowler and replace him with no one and become better. Also if what Gantt says is true then we will be playing with the same players as last year. That was an 8-8 team so what makes us better this year.... Please do enlighten me on how that happens.

Edited by Snake_Fist_Gung_Fu, 27 February 2010 - 02:45 PM.

#66 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 03:58 PM

Not Garbage... Worse.... Your dont lose a Pro bowler and replace him with no one and become better. Also if what Gantt says is true then we will be playing with the same players as last year. That was an 8-8 team so what makes us better this year.... Please do enlighten me on how that happens.

better QB play.

#67 Mjphillips86

Mjphillips86

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:05 PM

I think it would be sweet justice if Peppers ends up taking less than that somewhere else.

#68 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,679 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:16 PM

You do if your offense improves because you have a better QB.

#69 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• HUDDLER
  • 3,098 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 10:19 PM

I think it would be sweet justice if Peppers ends up taking less than that somewhere else.

No, sweet justice would be that no one offers as much as we do and he plays here cheaper.

#70 magnus

magnus

Eternal Gameface

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 02:04 PM

This part concerns me, though I'm not familiar with Gantt as some of you in the Carolinas are. So how credible is he?

Gantt is credible. some guy taking "$13-14 million per year offer" to mean that it's definitely a deal of X length and X money is not credible.

#71 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,367 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:08 PM

Who thinks Peppers comes crawling back after he hits FA and nobody else offers him anything near that?

No, sweet justice would be that no one offers as much as we do and he plays here cheaper.

i've been thinking that this is possible, but wasn't sure about the rules of UFA. i guess it could happen then? still unrealistic if so.

#72 magnus

magnus

Eternal Gameface

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,261 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:20 PM

could return here if teams like Philly, NE don't want to offer $10 mil a year to him and we are allowed the ability to match; we'd also have to want to do so.

On the other hand, he could chase money and go to Cleveland or Chicago.

#73 Kettle

Kettle

I'm Stainless.

• HUDDLER
  • 13,367 posts
  • LocationThe Brew Wing

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:34 PM

chicago i could see, but not cleveland. in any state of mind, i can't see anyone wanting to play there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com