Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

God vs. Satan

510 posts in this topic

Posted

If I had to pick a philosophy, I'd go with Buddhism.

Me too.

Posted

i wouldn't. buddhism was made to help people cope with poverty. teaching people to desire nothing outside of themselves isn't healthy, in my opinion. i want nice food, my xbox, and regularly being laid. there is nothing wrong wanting things that make you happy and hurt no one.

the only philosophy anyone should ever need to follow is 'live and let live.'

Posted

i wouldn't. buddhism was made to help people cope with poverty. teaching people to desire nothing outside of themselves isn't healthy, in my opinion. i want nice food, my xbox, and regularly being laid. there is nothing wrong wanting things that make you happy and hurt no one.

the only philosophy anyone should ever need to follow is 'live and let live.'

That isn't my understanding, but boats of different size travel the same waters and reach the same destination.

Buddhism does value nonattachment towards material goods, and promotes the virtue of having less wants, yet that is not the same as encouraging poverty. Poverty, as ordinarily understood in early Buddhism, consists in lacking the basic material requirements for leading a decent life free from hunger, exposure and disease. Buddhism recognizes the importance of such minimum material needs even in the case of those who aspire to its spiritual goal, and in fact the basic needs of a monk or nun provide a useful benchmark for measuring that level of subsistence below which human beings should not be allowed to fall. The four requisites of a Buddhist renunciate are food sufficient to alleviate hunger and maintain one's health, clothing sufficient to be socially decent and to protect the body, shelter sufficient for serious engagement with cultivating the mind, and health care sufficient to cure and prevent disease. Buddhism considers people who voluntarily renounce worldly possessions and pleasures in favor of a life of such minimal needs as belonging to the community of "noble ones" (ariyapuggala).

http://ccbs.ntu.edu.tw/FULLTEXT/JR-MISC/101785.htm

1 person likes this

Posted

i don't see anything in that quote that changes my understanding. i don't think it encourages poverty, i think it was born out of helping people deal with their poverty. it advocates only wanting those 4 basic things that humans need to survive. even says people are more noble for only wanting them and nothing more.

i don't think it's wrong to want more than the minimum you need to live. life is short. want what you want and enjoy yourself. i don't think that's a bad thing.

Posted

Everyone has a choice: ;)

yourchoice.jpg

Posted

That clears it all up now. I totally by into your religious beliefs. Who knew a photoshopped escalator could save my soul.

1 person likes this

Posted

that clears it all up now. I totally by into your religious beliefs. Who knew a photoshopped escalator could save my soul.

lmao

Posted

That clears it all up now. I totally by into your religious beliefs. Who knew a photoshopped escalator could save my soul.

I know right. That one photo of Jesus on a raptor ruined everything for me.

Now Im just walking the Earth and I only log on from random Starbucks that have WiFi.

Posted

is the Jesus on a raptor pic supposed to make a point? i thought it was only for teh lulz.

Posted

Trying to stay employed will do that. I'm sorry I don't have time to instantly reply to ever post addressed to me. I will talk to my boss and see if we can get that changed.

:eek:

Bet you drive a Dodge.

Mr. Smartypants gets awfully defensive when he's asked to back up his statements.

Posted

It won't be slam dunk evidence like the dead sea scrolls(that do exist) on the actual deaths.

I can grab some books for you after I go home. While I get that, can you get the books that make the opposite argument that those same authors lived lavish lifestyles and profited immensely due to writing the NT? :smile5:

bump

If you have some book recommendations I'd really like them.

As for my own book recommendations, I never suggested that the authors of the NT books agenda was monetary.

Misquoting Jesus by Bart Ehrman (it starts at a basic level, how the NT was passed down, the actual information we have about authorship and info on our earliest manuscripts).

Jesus Interrupted by Bart Ehrman (more information regarding theological issues covered in different books, goes more in depth over authorship and the differences in the gospels etc. )

Lost Christianities by Bart Ehrman (this book is just an interesting read, its about early Christianity and the fight over the theology)

I would love to recommend other books by other authors. There are many good ones out there but Bart Ehrman does the best job imo of laying out the information clearly. He really does a great job of taking a complicated subject and making it understandable for a layman.

1 person likes this

Posted

Why is this thread not dead yet?