• Please log in to reply
507 replies to this topic

#316 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:31 PM

So you have a disbelief in religion, many do....I do but what about God/gods/something greater?

I am not ignorant enough to believe in a god, but an not arrogant enough to cast off any chance of the existence of some higher power. I need more evidence to convince me.

#317 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,007 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:34 PM

My disbelief in religion doesn't come from my childhood. My mom was a catholic when convenient, and dad was a methodist. Religion wasn't pushed much growing up (it interferes with drinking and gambling). As an adult I sought religion as an answer to the ever increasing dilemmas of adulthood. After trying several different churches, I found a ton of hypocrisy, intolerance, and inconsistencies.

Your going to find that everywhere..Thats one thing that made me seek church.People are just too stupid to know the answers.IMO

#318 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:37 PM

Your going to find that everywhere..Thats one thing that made me seek church.People are just too stupid to know the answers.IMO

Yeah everyone says that, then they run to the polls to prevent two people in love from getting married or to condemn someone whose god is called something else.

#319 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,960 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 02 March 2010 - 01:57 PM

I was raised in a pretty strict setting, not just religiously speaking, and look how awesome I turned out.

Making note to definitely be less strict with my kids....

The world is only equipped to handle one Panthro.

#320 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,381 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:23 PM

What % of people on here who do not believe in God, gods, something greater in play came from a strict religious upbringing

not really. my mother was active in a church, and i went as a child, and i would sit there and think 'wow this is stupid, i don't believe any of this.' all different churches; baptist, methodist, assembly of god (who spoke in tongues, it was a riot).

when i got to middle school she figured i was old enough to opt out if i didn't believe it, and that was the end of that.

there was one time, though, in like 4th grade that i did a school report on ozzy. she saw it and got mad and redid the whole thing for me on a christian rap group.

Edited by rodeo, 02 March 2010 - 02:29 PM.

#321 I AM

I AM

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 02:29 PM

Crazy... but that's how it goes...

#322 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,056 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

So you have a disbelief in religion, many do....I do but what about God/gods/something greater? Man is full of hypocrisy, intolerance, and inconsistencies and it sucks donkey *******.

The way religious people act never effected my belief in god or their religion. I never counted that as a strike against the religion.

I was raised in church. I found church to be a lot of fun. God and church was our life.

Now I don't hold a belief in any type of god. I'm not saying some sort of greater power or god/gods don't exist. Something greater very well could exist. My knowledge is limited. If I were to choose to practice faith and hold a belief in some sort of god, I would still not consider myself to have knowledge or certainty of god, just a leap of faith. I wouldn't not let that faith control my life or put much value in it because it is nothing but faith.

Edited by Cat, 02 March 2010 - 03:23 PM.

#323 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:08 PM

If I had to pick a philosophy, I'd go with Buddhism.

If I had to pick a religion, I'd worship the Sun and liquid water, since the tangible, everyday benefits to human society of these two "gods" seem more important than an imaginary friend of any name.

#324 I AM

I AM

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:11 PM

That Sun sure is a hot motherfuger... ;)

I get your point though, and I agree...

#325 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,056 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 04:16 PM

If I had to pick a philosophy, I'd go with Buddhism.

Me too.

#326 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,381 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 05:10 PM

i wouldn't. buddhism was made to help people cope with poverty. teaching people to desire nothing outside of themselves isn't healthy, in my opinion. i want nice food, my xbox, and regularly being laid. there is nothing wrong wanting things that make you happy and hurt no one.

the only philosophy anyone should ever need to follow is 'live and let live.'

#327 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

• HUDDLER
  • 4,182 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:01 PM

i wouldn't. buddhism was made to help people cope with poverty. teaching people to desire nothing outside of themselves isn't healthy, in my opinion. i want nice food, my xbox, and regularly being laid. there is nothing wrong wanting things that make you happy and hurt no one.

the only philosophy anyone should ever need to follow is 'live and let live.'

That isn't my understanding, but boats of different size travel the same waters and reach the same destination.

Buddhism does value nonattachment towards material goods, and promotes the virtue of having less wants, yet that is not the same as encouraging poverty. Poverty, as ordinarily understood in early Buddhism, consists in lacking the basic material requirements for leading a decent life free from hunger, exposure and disease. Buddhism recognizes the importance of such minimum material needs even in the case of those who aspire to its spiritual goal, and in fact the basic needs of a monk or nun provide a useful benchmark for measuring that level of subsistence below which human beings should not be allowed to fall. The four requisites of a Buddhist renunciate are food sufficient to alleviate hunger and maintain one's health, clothing sufficient to be socially decent and to protect the body, shelter sufficient for serious engagement with cultivating the mind, and health care sufficient to cure and prevent disease. Buddhism considers people who voluntarily renounce worldly possessions and pleasures in favor of a life of such minimal needs as belonging to the community of "noble ones" (ariyapuggala).

http://ccbs.ntu.edu....MISC/101785.htm

#328 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,381 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 06:57 PM

i don't see anything in that quote that changes my understanding. i don't think it encourages poverty, i think it was born out of helping people deal with their poverty. it advocates only wanting those 4 basic things that humans need to survive. even says people are more noble for only wanting them and nothing more.

i don't think it's wrong to want more than the minimum you need to live. life is short. want what you want and enjoy yourself. i don't think that's a bad thing.

#329 Kyle82

Kyle82

• HUDDLER
  • 3,795 posts
  • LocationRock Hill SC

Posted 02 March 2010 - 08:52 PM

Everyone has a choice: ;)

Posted Image

#330 88 Bronco

88 Bronco

• HUDDLER
  • 5,901 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:27 AM

That clears it all up now. I totally by into your religious beliefs. Who knew a photoshopped escalator could save my soul.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.