Photo
- - - - -

Who do we match up against better - MN, ATL, AZ?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 catz

catz

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

I know it is speculation and kinda getting the cart before the horse - but we will be playing one of these next week. Which team do you think we match up the best against?

Or stated a different way - which team would be easier for us to beat down in our house!!!! I think MN and add in a touch of revenge.

#2 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:04 AM

weve proven we can beat AZ and ATL. I think if we played Minn. at home it would be a different game, plus your right revenge would be great. AZ could say the same...but I think ATL will beat them.

#3 JungleCat

JungleCat

HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:46 AM

I think we could beat all three but I think we match up the best with Atlanta.

#4 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,627 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:46 AM

On paper, we don't match up well with Minnesota. They run the ball well, and defend the run well. Running the ball is our strength, and we don't defend the run very well, although we did do a good job against Peterson the last time we played them.

That being said, I think we will be ok if we play Minnesota again. In fact, thats the game I prefer. They will not beat us at home I think.

#5 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

• HUDDLER
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 09:58 AM

Wasnt AP a little banged up last time we played them? If he was then Id say next time around he would put up a better fight.

#6 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,627 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:07 AM

He was coming off a hamstring injury.

He had 77 yards on 17 carries against us, so we didn't shut him down, but he didn't kill us either.

If we do play them, we have to a better job protecting Jake. We have given up 20 sacks this year, and 5 of them were against Minnesota.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 03 January 2009 - 10:11 AM.

#7 bredy087

bredy087

The Comeback Kid

• HUDDLER
  • 2,002 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:12 AM

The sack from the CB on his blindside that cause the fumble was brutal....cant let that happen again.

#8 catz

catz

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 10:29 AM

On paper, we don't match up well with Minnesota. They run the ball well, and defend the run well. Running the ball is our strength, and we don't defend the run very well, although we did do a good job against Peterson the last time we played them.

That being said, I think we will be ok if we play Minnesota again. In fact, thats the game I prefer. They will not beat us at home I think.

how many games did we keep opponent's back UNDER 100 yards?? I think we defend the run better than we defend the pass.

#9 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,627 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 11:24 AM

how many games did we keep opponent's back UNDER 100 yards?? I think we defend the run better than we defend the pass.

The stats say otherwise I think. We kept the opponents backs under 100 yards because we were usually ahead, especially at home.

Opponents ended up having to pass against us more than they ran. For the year, we had 432 run plays against us versus 557 pass attempts. Yet we were 20th in the league in rushing yards allowed per game, 20th in total yards per game, and 23rd in ypc (4.4 yards per carry allowed).

In pass defense, we had the 6th highest number of passes attempted against us, but we were 16th in yards allowed per game and 13th in percentage of passes completed. We also were among the top 10 defensively in yards per catch.

Overall, our pass defense was the strength of the defense, although it still wasn't that great.

Edited by Davidson Deac II, 03 January 2009 - 11:33 AM.

#10 Wolfcop

Wolfcop

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:01 PM

I am most concerned with facing AZ again. We seem to really struggle against passing teams (esp AZ and on the road with NO). We have not really struggled against the run at home. I think we would do just fine against ATL or MINN. I would not mind a rematch with ATL. I would rather play them than PHI, which I know NY would get if they win.

#11 Fireball77

Fireball77

• HUDDLER
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:24 PM

I think we match up the best with Atlanta.

I agree....and WORST with Philly... so go Minny!

Nice info DDII. If this D doesn't start staying in their gaps and tackling it will be one and out no matter who the opponent. The best defense in the playoffs usually wins championships. Right now, I don't trust Carolina's D, Kemo or no Kemo. They have been getting run on with or without him.

#12 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

I agree....and WORST with Philly... so go Minny!

Nice info DDII. If this D doesn't start staying in their gaps and tackling it will be one and out no matter who the opponent. The best defense in the playoffs usually wins championships. Right now, I don't trust Carolina's D, Kemo or no Kemo. They have been getting run on with or without him.

I just don't see Minnesota beating Philly. I think the Eagles will pressure Jackson into several mistakes, even though I'm sure they'll try to keep the ball on the ground for most of the game.

Between Arizona and Atlanta, I think we match up better with Atlanta. That being said, I think I'd rather play a team that hasn't been playing well as of late. They also have to travel across the country.

When all is said and done, I think Philly and Atlanta win, and we'll be seing the latter in our first playoff game.

#13 beastson

beastson

Big Money

• HUDDLER
  • 9,197 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

weve proven we can beat AZ and ATL. I think if we played Minn. at home it would be a different game, plus your right revenge would be great. AZ could say the same...but I think ATL will beat them.

Thats why I hope they win

#14 2plankingpanther

2plankingpanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 01:43 PM

Yes the D really needs to step it up!!

#15 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,627 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 02:15 PM

I just don't see Minnesota beating Philly. I think the Eagles will pressure Jackson into several mistakes, even though I'm sure they'll try to keep the ball on the ground for most of the game.

Between Arizona and Atlanta, I think we match up better with Atlanta. That being said, I think I'd rather play a team that hasn't been playing well as of late. They also have to travel across the country.

When all is said and done, I think Philly and Atlanta win, and we'll be seing the latter in our first playoff game.

The question regarding Philly/Minn is which Philly team shows up? The one that Washington shutdown, or the one that blasted Dallas. The Eagles have just been to inconsistent to predict this year. If the they play like they did against the Skins, then Minnesota should win a close one at home.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com