Photo
- - - - -

Matt Moore and the Tender

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
44 replies to this topic

#31 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 03 March 2010 - 11:43 AM

I agree a second is too low. To me a first is just right.

#32 WSBpanthers

WSBpanthers

• Pip
ROOKIE

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:34 PM

Yo Arizona might need a QB too! I say we keep Moore. Does nobody remember how bad Delhomme was last year? and Moore was great. And he was good as a rookie, I think we stumbled onto a really good QB with him. Plus the panthers are raw! I mean we got a sick WR in smith, one of the best running games in the NFL with double trouble, the best MLB in the NFC with Beason and Davis is nasty too so we are set with our LB, our secondary is pretty good too gamble and marshall has been solid! The only soft spot might be our D-line but i like Johnson to replace Peppers and even though he wont be near as good he works hard and he will be fine. So why would we trade away the one piece of our team that we need? Just settle for the 2 round pick we got. It was stupid to trade our first away last year we could have grabbed a DE this year.

#33 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

Administrators

Posted 03 March 2010 - 12:43 PM

You guys get all emotional in the offseason.
CHILLAX PEEPERZ

#34 frash.exe

frash.exe

Freddy Frashbear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2010 - 01:43 PM

I'd rather put the highest possible tender on Matt Moore or even give him an extension and make do with the picks i've got than giving up the opportunity of having solid QB play in carolina for any defensive lineman, CB, or WR you'd have in mind.

#35 unicar15

unicar15

HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:00 PM

I think there will be a little bit of a game of chicken here and they'll just put the first round tender on Moore. And I agree with it.

The only teams outside the top 10 picks this year that need a QB are Seattle (14), San Fran (17) and maybe Minny (30).

If we got a top ten pick in this draft, it's for sure worth it. I'll argue that with anyone.

As far as the Vikes, it's doubtful they'd risk losing Favre to take Moore. The other two, I could see. Worst case scenario, we get our pick back at 17. Seattle's more likely at 14.

So, worth it at that level? Personally, with the greatest draft in decades, I say yes.

Trade Moore and draft Jimmy Clausen?? I like Moore but IMO Clausen has pro-bowl written all over him. I'd take that in a heartbeat. However, I most definitely wouldn't do a trade if we had Delhomme in mind. It would have to be a first round QB or we need to keep Moore. We saw how not having a QB killed us last year...

#36 Huffgolf30

Huffgolf30

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:04 PM

I just can't rationalize letting this kid go. He's young, athletic, a proven winner with 9 games under his belt. Geezus, just go pick up a cheap free agent qb, start moore and have 2 qb's to fall back on if he sucks it up (which i don't think he will). His success is not a mirage. He is solid with the football, has good technique, and our team seems to embrace him. Don't fvck this up front office!

Edited by Huffgolf30, 03 March 2010 - 05:06 PM.

#37 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2010 - 05:13 PM

I don't know of any quarterback I would take in the draft over Moore. I know there are some guys labeled not miss kind of guys but none of them are Peyton Manning. I realize that Moore only played 5 games but several were against playoff teams. He completed 61% of his passes for a 7.6 yards per catch and a passer rating of 98.5. If he kept that up for the season he would have been tied with Matt Schaub for 7th on the list. A guy who could be a potential top 10 quarterback in the league based on playing games sure beats a potential star. Best of all we will likely get him for less than 3 million dollars this year. Meanwhile Claussen will likely make over 10 million to sit the bench. Not even close in my opinion.

#38 Pantherman

Pantherman

HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:09 PM

A Clausen or Bradford would actually be worth the risk, but we wouldn't see that.

Lots of talent in the first. Lots.

Lots of talent on the college level means alot. But in the NFL it does not mean poo until they have proven it. Look Alex smith of the 49ers. People thought Smith coming out of college was going to be a big time QB for SF. But so far smith has yet to prove he was worth the 1st overall pic that year. Smith for the most part has been a big bust. Even with this big of a class of QBs this year draft is nice. But the odd is only a small number of them will end up been a good to great QB. So I ask you people. Would you wheather have Matt Moore who has proven he can out do Jake on the feild. Are give him up take 1st are 2 nd round pick. And risk getting a QB that may are may not pan out in the NFL. I wheather take Moore who has proven he has what it takes to be a starter.

#39 Delhommey

Delhommey

Moderators

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:23 PM

daringantt

Panthers QB Matt Moore gets the high tender, $3.043 million. Would require first-and-third compensation, but I doubt anyone's going there.

Moot point

#40 Fiz

Fiz

SENIOR HUDDLER

HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:24 PM

fuging cheap fine young males

#41 Pantherman

Pantherman

HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:25 PM

I do. Three things can happen with the second round tender:

No one signs him and we save a cool million dollars in payroll as compared to the 1st round tender. (Most likely)

Some one signs him to an offer sheet that reflects the economic realities of RFA in this offseason, mainly that the signing team must also have to give up a pick, there is a lock out scheduled for next season, and Moore is still an unproven commoditiy.

In this case, the team either offers the bargain value contract and the Panthers match to get Moore signed for a few seasons to a lower contract, or the team overpays and the Panthers let Moore walk for a 2nd round pick.

Dude are you ****** kidding me. Where was you when Moore played those last 5 games of this season. Plus Moore torched a great D like the vikings for 300 yards. That alone proves to me Moore has proven he is worth the big contract and worth been the starter aswell. What more do you need to see to prove he worth it. No he ain't no Brees are brady are manning. But he got a great arm and real good accurcy and he spreads the ball around to other players. He is real good in the pocket and he knows when to scramble and run for it and all. The only little down side I have seen out of Moore was that he once in a whole might over throw his WR. What QB doesn't over throw a wr from time to time. Hands down Moore is 10xs more proven then any 1rd QB will ever be. You never know what kind of QB you will get out of the draft.Alex smith of the 49s is proof on how the odds of finding a good QB in the first round is small. More is proven point blank. You my friend need to watch more football on sunday.:frown2:

#42 KBRed

KBRed

Scooter Swag

HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:31 PM

f**king cheap fine young males

Exactly!

#43 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

SUPPORTER

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:34 PM

I don't understand why waste the highest tender on someone you plan to sign long term? Couldn't you just sign him before hand? Is there something I am missing?

The tender is a non guaranteed contract...so if something happens before the season starts with the CBA, the panthers can still give out a long term offer to him and would be off the hook for the tender amount.

#44 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2010 - 06:56 PM

Having now heard though that Bruce Gradkowski got the second round tender, I'd probably have to cave and say give Moore the first or the first and third.

The 1st and 3rd tender please..

Still think first and third tender is the way to go but if another team coughed it up I would take it.

:D

Now, I'll just say that all this talk of Derek Anderson is ridiculous. Could Moore just be a flash-in-the-pan guy who never has a great game again? Sure.

Could that be said of all of the quarterbacks in the draft? Of course -- it's not like there have never been quarterbacks who have been drafted high only to play horribly in the NFL.

I'd say Moore gets the edge, considering he's actually won several games in the NFL, for peaks sakes.

(Not opposed to drafting a quarterback, but I'd rather it be in the second or third rounds -- or even later, depending on who's available.)

#45 monstercat

monstercat

HUDDLER

Posted 03 March 2010 - 07:01 PM

Honestly, I'm not that impressed with any of the QB's in this draft. Clausen might actually be the best of the bunch just because he's been playing in a pro style offense for years already. If you look at the most successful QB's in the last couple of drafts, that's what they all have in common.