Photo
- - - - -

A hilarious lesson about DRM in PC games (RE: Ubisuck)

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:29 AM

So, for those of you who haven't been keeping up, Ubisoft revealed earlier this year that they would be implementing a new form of DRM to protect their PC game releases:

http://uk.pc.gamespy.../1063391p1.html

The gist of how it's setup to work is you have to be online all the time when playing the game in single-player mode. Games are stored on Ubisoft's servers, and if your internet disconnects, you start over at the previous checkpoint.

Needless to say, the reaction to this catastrophically idiotic plan was almost wholly negative. Google "Ubisoft DRM" and you will find a whole host of articles criticizing Ubisoft's new system, and other articles with dozens of comments from agitated nerds vowing never to buy a game with this kind of protection.

Ubisoft pinned their hopes and dreams on this new protection method. They counted on it being very difficult, if not impossible, to crack.

Unfortunately, Silent Hunter V, a PC exclusive, was the first game to use this protection. It was released on March 2nd. One day later, Ubisoft's "uncrackable" drm was cracked.

http://www.destructo...rs-165756.phtml

The Russians (gotta love em) also got their hands on Assassin's Creed II and kinda sorta have it cracked

Ubisoft has since responded by saying that the versions floating around on warez sites are not "full games", being purposefully vague as to what makes them incomplete, as they are likely lying as illustrated by this article.

http://ve3d.ign.com/...te-Says-Ubisoft

For the record, this isn't a pro-piracy thread as much as it is an anti-DRM thread.

Oh and Ubisoft; go eat a dick.

#2 The Link

The Link

Satire Enthusiast

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:05 AM

I cant risk downloading stuff anymore. I don't have a good torrent site to go to that I know I wont get caught on.

#3 Taco

Taco

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:25 AM

I cant risk downloading stuff anymore. I don't have a good torrent site to go to that I know I wont get caught on.

Demonoid. I've got an account and I've yet to have a problem.

#4 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:26 AM

Demonoid is kinda crappy though. At least as far as download speed goes.

#5 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,632 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:42 AM

People still run torrents without Peerblock? It may not be 100% perfect, but it sure does stop a lot of phishing.

#6 Delhomeboy

Delhomeboy

Wage Slave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,587 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:55 AM

Am I going to have to be the negative nancy here and encourage people to actually buy their products?

#7 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:06 AM

I buy anything and everything that I enjoy after I torrent something honestly.

Also Scrum speaks the gospel. And don't use public sites either. Demonoid, for all intents and purposes, is a public site at this point with all the traffic they get now by the way.

#8 Scrumtrilescent

Scrumtrilescent

I aim to misbehave.

• Administrators
  • 8,632 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:12 AM

As one of the original dudes who were "banned" from Napster (had to reregister!111111) during Lars Ulrich's little tantrum, I approve of this thread.

#9 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

• Moderators
  • 24,891 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:14 AM

lol rep

#10 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:14 AM

It seems I may have spoken somewhat too soon. There are either triggers that prevent you progressing the game without a valid copy. Or it may be possible that you have to connect to Ubisoft's servers to download updated scripts to advance the campaign for Silent Hunter V.

Will keep you posted.

#11 Inimicus

Inimicus

Life is better in a kayak

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,101 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:21 AM

People who steal software, even if they later buy it, don't deserve to own computers.

#12 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:25 AM

I had two laptops become unusable because of starforce.

I'll steal whatever the fug I want to.

#13 The Link

The Link

Satire Enthusiast

• ALL-PRO
  • 2,995 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:40 AM

People who steal software, even if they later buy it, don't deserve to own computers.

Judge not lest ye be judged. I've downloaded software before, but it was for a good cause.

#14 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• ALL-PRO
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:48 AM

Posted Image

#15 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,380 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:59 AM

Posted Image

pretty much, EA is doing the same thing with some of their upcoming pc games. Have to be online to play at all including the single player....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com