28 replies to this topic

#16 beach

beach

|~~-~-~|

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,689 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:45 AM

I've seen that show and I have seen that episode.

Dr. Brian Greene (& of course Emmit Brown) probably has the best view on this topic.

#17 Razzy

Razzy

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:33 AM

I personally don't think we will ever be able to make a vehicle that travels anywhere close to the speed of light. Not unless we first learn to manipulate gravity.

I've always been more interesting in parallel dimension theories anyways.

#18 Jangler

Jangler

Its gonna be just like they say, them voices tell me so

• HUDDLER
  • 46,792 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:51 AM

Dr. Brian Greene (& of course Emmit Brown) probably has the best view on this topic.

Who?

I thought it was Quantum Leap and an episode of Star Trek......nevermind.

Edited by Jangler, 05 March 2010 - 05:41 AM.

#19 d-dave

d-dave

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 05:29 AM

Time travel is a great fantasy, but I don't think there's a lot of practicality to the idea.

First off, I believe in the multiple universe theory. The short hand is that every time a choice is made, reality splits off. So there are an infinite number of parallel universes where all kinds of things are happening. There are universes where McCain won, the Panthers beat the Pats, and I won the lottery...

So I think time travel would simply lead to a new "thread" of universes and you wouldn't be able to go back in time and change things in a way you want. It would simply continue to flow in a new direction, despite your efforts to kill your parents. You would still exist because in another universe, you were still born and your parents still got it on.

I love the idea, but I don't see a whole lot of practicality in going back. Going forward is possible according to Einstein, but going back wouldn't really be worth it because you're not changing the present.

Hopefully that makes sense. I haven't slept decently in a month...=P

#20 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,573 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:47 AM

Of course, if you slingshot around the sun going at least warp 9, you can go back and save the whales... who doesn't know this?

#21 James T. Kirk

James T. Kirk

Who Shat?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:48 AM

I am living this fuging life over because of Time Travel. Oh the Nexus can't get here quick enough....sweet release!...again.

P.S. Next time the whales can kiss my ass!

#22 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,426 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:38 AM

I time travel every time I drink gin.

#23 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,758 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:40 AM

Thats a winner right there

#24 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:18 AM

multiple universe...sure

time travel....no....I don't think so, not with today's technology on Earth

#25 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

Time travel both forwards and backwards is possible and already happens.

Forward time travel is not really jumping forward in time. It is YOU traveling through time at a different rate than everyone else because of speed and mass and such. According to Einstein time goes more slowly in higher gravitational fields. This is measurable.

As another poster mentioned actually traveling forward in time would invlove a wormhole or skirting around the edges of a black hole. The practical aspects of this are dizzying. Harnessing enough energy to do this would require hooking up with a star. not to mention what happens to a physical body through this process.

I took a relativity class in college and we spent a week discussing how it might be possible. I barely grasped it but it was interesting and I could see how it would be possible.

Backwards time travel also happens in real life at a molecular level. Something about electrons spitting out protons in the past. I couldn't understand it. This and somehow having time loop back on itself with a wormhole or something.

The paradox of time travel is explained by alternate universes which seems like something completely fictional. Stephen hawking says if backwards time travel were possible wouldn't we have had a visitor from the future by now?

Read John Titor's works

#26 I AM

I AM

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

Titor was a hoax

#27 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,577 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:29 AM

Titor was a hoax

Wow really?

#28 I AM

I AM

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:34 AM

Wow really?

lol...

Posted Image

#29 Sapper

Sapper

Healthy Scratch

• HUDDLER
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:00 PM

It is weird to think that objects that are closer in distance to us are also "newer" to us. IE: The trees outside my window, as I see them, are a past image compared to my computer monitor, just because light is a constant.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.