Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kevin Greene

Israel Starts Ground Offensive in Gaza in Bid to Halt Rockets

60 posts in this topic

The reason we started supporting Israel in a big way had more to do with the Soviets than anything else.

The reason we started supporting Israel in a big way had more to do with the Soviets than anything else.

Not really. Economic and military support to Israel and Egypt were a part of the Camp David Peace accords. US government support prior to that time was mostly diplomatic in nature.

The Israelis did use some american military equipment prior to the camp david accords, but up till then, the majority of Israeli military equipment was from France or some other European nation. And it was mostly paid for in cash, not a discounted government assistance package.

Not really. Economic and military support to Israel and Egypt were a part of the Camp David Peace accords. US government support prior to that time was mostly diplomatic in nature.

The Israelis did use some american military equipment prior to the camp david accords, but up till then, the majority of Israeli military equipment was from France or some other European nation. And it was mostly paid for in cash, not a discounted government assistance package.

A voice of reason in this "blame it on Israel" thread?

It's not a 'blame Israel' thread. It's the 'we don't buy the 1984-like vocabulary in reporting on the conflict' thread.

And why do people seem to think that:

A) People don't know that the PLO and Hamas are run by crooks

B) This in turns justifies Israel's barbaric treatment of the Palistians.

It's not a 'blame Israel' thread. It's the 'we don't buy the 1984-like vocabulary in reporting on the conflict' thread.

And why do people seem to think that:

A) People don't know that the PLO and Hamas are run by crooks

B) This in turns justifies Israel's barbaric treatment of the Palistians.

Is Israel's treatment Barbaric? They blocked the borders in order to convince Hamas to stop lobbing rockets into Israeli territory. It wasn't the right move, but it certainly wasn't barbaric. Eventually they responded with military force, which Hamas leaders expected, and some probably wanted, in order to garner more support from its Arab neighbors.

I think that some in Hamas want Israel's Arab neighbors to renounce the Camp David accords and attack Israel. They would love to see a more radical government come to power in Egypt and other nations.

Is Israel's treatment Barbaric? They blocked the borders in order to convince Hamas to stop lobbing rockets into Israeli territory. It wasn't the right move, but it certainly wasn't barbaric. Eventually they responded with military force, which Hamas leaders expected, and some probably wanted, in order to garner more support from its Arab neighbors.

I think that some in Hamas want Israel's Arab neighbors to renounce the Camp David accords and attack Israel. They would love to see a more radical government come to power in Egypt and other nations.

Game set and match. This is EXACTLY what Hamas wants. So does Iran, Egypt, Saudi Arabia etc. :mad2:

I don't think anyone could possibly believe that Hamas is concerned about civilian casualties on either the Israeli or the Palestinian side.

To take another tact on this, we speak of Hamas as a single controlling entity. They apparently have multiple leaders and I wonder if they all agree on strategy. And there is the religious influence to consider. How many of them believe that Allah will help them win in the end? And do they actually have that much control in Gaza?

Deep dark secret about the Christian Right: One of the biggest reasons they support Israel is because the Bible says that God will bless nations that help Israel and punish those who oppose them.

True story.

Ah yes because the Christian Right secretly controls the government and has secret meetings on the moon with Jesus.

Assinine.

And also since you feel like blaming religion on all of this here's a little tidbit for ya!

Palestinians are Muslim's, not peace having, cookie baking, shake your hand one's, there diluted, murdering fanatics, which like I said in my first post could give a damn if you feel sorry for them or not. They would slowly slice through your neck flesh and cut your head off, all while praising Allah and damning Israel for protecting itself.

I don't think anyone could possibly believe that Hamas is concerned about civilian casualties on either the Israeli or the Palestinian side.

Hamas is closer to The Sopranos than anything else.

Think we feel bad about our political options, imagine the Palestinians.

Hamas is closer to The Sopranos than anything else.

Think we feel bad about our political options, imagine the Palestinians.

The Israelis could deal with the Sopranos. Hamas might be worse because of the extremist religious influence.