87 replies to this topic

#31 ncfan

ncfan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationKey West, FL

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:27 PM

Its not that I think he is going to just flat out suck. The kid is a good basketball player. But it is typical of national pundits to overrate the kid because he signed with Carolina. He wasn't even ranked in the top 50 players nationally before he signed.

Wrong on that part. Some of these sites that even rank middle schoolers had him ranked at the top. Seems even he was ranked the #1 ranked 8th grade pg. His stock has actually dropped a bit.

#32 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 12:40 PM

on Marshall, I have actually seen the kid play, and while not nearly as quick as a Lawson, the kid is still pretty quick. The thing I am excited about is his ball control and passing game. Granted this is against other High School talent with AAU, but the kid shows a lot of potential.

The knock on Drew is that he sometimes liked to force things, he would let the speed of the game dictate things......If the games were slow paced, he would play slow and vice versa. Sometimes the game got too quick for him and made mistakes, which had people worried. (This came from a few UCLA fans that had seen him play) I thought he would grow out of that, and he still could. Right now though he reminds me a lot of another west coaster Quentin Thomas

#33 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 01:45 PM

on Marshall, I have actually seen the kid play, and while not nearly as quick as a Lawson, the kid is still pretty quick. The thing I am excited about is his ball control and passing game. Granted this is against other High School talent with AAU, but the kid shows a lot of potential.

The knock on Drew is that he sometimes liked to force things, he would let the speed of the game dictate things......If the games were slow paced, he would play slow and vice versa. Sometimes the game got too quick for him and made mistakes, which had people worried. (This came from a few UCLA fans that had seen him play) I thought he would grow out of that, and he still could. Right now though he reminds me a lot of another west coaster Quentin Thomas

Then I don't believe that you have seen him play. The kid is slow, but does have good handles and can pass. Quick would not be the word I would use to describe him at all. No way he is a 5 star player, there are at least 10-12 pg's that are in the class that are better then him. Scout has Corey Joseph, and Ryan Harrow ranked behind Marshall and that is crazy. Tyler Thornton has had a better year then Marshall and Thornton outplayed him both times they played this year. Marshall is not even going to make all district 1st team. Also Thornton's team won both games. All of you heels fans are buying into the hype and you will be disappointed, because he is a good player but not great and the system Roy runs he needs a great pg. Sorry kids Marshall is not your savior, and although I do think you will be better next year I don't think you will compete with the top of the ACC.

#34 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:21 PM

Tyler Thornton and Josh Hairston were All Met 1st team while Kendall Marshall was 2nd team. Tell me how neither one of them make the Mcdonald's all american game but Marshall does? I just can't wait for Marshall and Irving to match up against each other so you guys can see what a real all american point guard looks like. Marshall averages 15 ppg against mediocre competition while Irving averages 27 ppg against the best competition in the nation.

#35 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:25 PM

Good grief. So now Marshall is slow and unathletic? Do you go and watch every high school basketball game in the country in person or something? How are you such an expert on every Carolina recruit, and why should I take your word on any of this?

Notice that I love Reggie Bullock and Harrison Barnes. I think they are two of the best prospects in the country. So its not like I am hating on all players from Carolina. All I am saying is that Roy Williams likes to get up and down and his PG is SOOO ESSENTIAL as we are seeing this year. I find it hard to believe that a PG that doesn't have the "Ty Lawson/Felton" type ability to get up and down the floor will excel in that system. Thats all I am saying.

But here are some write-ups on Marshall from different sites. They all love his creativity and vision...almost nobody hails his athleticism, which IMO is essential for a Roy Williams PG.

Draft Express:

Defensively, Marshall doesn’t have much lateral quickness to speak of, but he again knows how to use his tremendous smarts and timing to get the job done.

It will be fascinating to see how Marshall’s game translates to the college level, as it appears that he has a chance to be a very special player for Roy Williams at North Carolina, especially as he approaches his upperclassmen seasons. Marshall may not have the athleticism or upside to jump to the NBA as early as some of his counterparts in this class, which will probably be just fine by the Tar Heel faithful, and actually makes him a much more valuable get in the long-term. Watching him practice and interact with his teammates, it appears that Marshall has an excellent work ethic and all-around outstanding intangibles, which only adds to the picture.

Jerry Meyer:

With a superb basketball IQ, Marshall plays with surprising poise and at a deceptive pace. He sets up for a burst that is just fast enough to beat his man and controlled enough for him to read the situation with precision. The lefty also has a more-than-reliable jumper and has a knack for delivering the pass with timing whether it is off his penetration in the half court or a pass up the court in transition. Improving his explosiveness and improving on the defensive side of the ball are his next challenges.

So like I said...Its not like the kid can't play. He obviously can or he wouldn't have been a renowned recruit. But Carolina NEEDS the athletic guard IMO and Marshall isn't it. Maybe he will give just enough to get UNC where they need to be next year but he's not going to make them an elite team IMO. They'll improve next year but not by the amount that UNC fans are expecting them to. Just my opinion though. I think that they will be battling with NC State for that 3-4 seed in the ACC.

#36 ncfan

ncfan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  • LocationKey West, FL

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:47 PM

Tyler Thornton and Josh Hairston were All Met 1st team while Kendall Marshall was 2nd team. Tell me how neither one of them make the Mcdonald's all american game but Marshall does? I just can't wait for Marshall and Irving to match up against each other so you guys can see what a real all american point guard looks like. Marshall averages 15 ppg against mediocre competition while Irving averages 27 ppg against the best competition in the nation.

Say what you want but Marshall is going to be a good player.
Marshall just recently lead his team to the state championship (VIS).
And being performed by Thornton. They just recently matched up again in the WCAC semi's that got pushed back due to the snow. Marshall outperformed Thornton even though Thorntons team won by 2. Marshall pretty much carried his team that game while Thorntons teammates helped him out a good-bit.
Last summer Marshall out-matched MANY top pgs at camps and AAU including Irving etc. Thats why he was named MVP at NBAp, CP3, D Williams etc. He may not have made all metro or whatever but i'm pretty sure that that those guys can Really judge talent. If you don't think so, you Really need to apply for an NBA scout position because you are obviously better than any of the ones out there now.
Here are some clips from a scrimmage this past summer he was in that included Irving, Rivers, Barnes, Leslie, etc.

#37 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

I just don't get this obsession NC State and Duke fans have about UNC recruits.

I'll worry about Marshall when he gets here.

Edited by monstercat, 08 March 2010 - 03:17 PM.

#38 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:18 PM

Say what you want but Marshall is going to be a good player.
Marshall just recently lead his team to the state championship (VIS).
And being performed by Thornton. They just recently matched up again in the WCAC semi's that got pushed back due to the snow. Marshall outperformed Thornton even though Thorntons team won by 2. Marshall pretty much carried his team that game while Thorntons teammates helped him out a good-bit.
Last summer Marshall out-matched MANY top pgs at camps and AAU including Irving etc. Thats why he was named MVP at NBAp, CP3, D Williams etc. He may not have made all metro or whatever but i'm pretty sure that that those guys can Really judge talent. If you don't think so, you Really need to apply for an NBA scout position because you are obviously better than any of the ones out there now.
Here are some clips from a scrimmage this past summer he was in that included Irving, Rivers, Barnes, Leslie, etc.

Game 1 KM 12 pts, TT 17 pts. Gonzaga wins
Game 2 KM 11 pts, TT 14 pts. O'Connell wins
Game 3 KM 21 pts, TT 17 pts. Gonzaga wins

Tyler Thornton is named All Met 1st team and Kendall Marshall is All Met 2nd team. I think a seasons worth of work counts a little more then how you played at some camp over the summer. He made the Mc AA game because he chose to go to school at unc.

#39 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:21 PM

I guess we could always talk about the NIT tournament and if your guys will even make that tourney.:D

#40 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 04:51 PM

Its not an obsession that NCSU and Duke fans have with UNC recruits. It is an obsession that the Rivals and Scouts of the world have with their recruits. Duke/NCSU fans have accepted the role of those that bring reality to the picture.

#41 monstercat

monstercat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,961 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 06:30 PM

Its not an obsession that NCSU and Duke fans have with UNC recruits. It is an obsession that the Rivals and Scouts of the world have with their recruits. Duke/NCSU fans have accepted the role of those that bring reality to the picture.

You bring reality? It wasn't long ago that you were singing Sid's praises and saying that this was his best team. How's that reality working out for you? I know UNC was bad this year, but we still kicked your ass twice with that bad team, and you can bet your ass that UNC will get better next year.

There's your reality.

#42 stankowalski

stankowalski

A Hard Walker

• HUDDLER
  • 3,793 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:10 PM

I don't know what to think about Marshall...I've seen him play a couple of times (TV) and I think he's OK, but can he elevate this team to the level that Lawson and Felton did? Tough call. He's clearly not as quick as either of them. However I think his court vision is better. He'll have plenty of talent around him to succeed and I'm betting that Roy will make it work. We'll all just have to wait and see. Either way I don't see him starting over Drew his first year.

#43 unicar15

unicar15

• HUDDLER
  • 3,654 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 07:31 PM

You bring reality? It wasn't long ago that you were singing Sid's praises and saying that this was his best team. How's that reality working out for you? I know UNC was bad this year, but we still kicked your ass twice with that bad team, and you can bet your ass that UNC will get better next year.

There's your reality.

A. This is Sid's best team

B. We have a better record than you guys and an equal ACC record. So IDK how you come off tooting the Carolina horn?

C. The reality is that a lot of UNC fans expect to be a national championship contender again just because of Harrison Barnes. I say that the reality is that you guys will be lucky to be in the hunt for the ACC championship with the caliber of guys you are losing.

I also say that NC State has as good a chance at an ACC title as UNC. You guys will say "but we have Roy and you have Sid Lowe." Well the fact of the matter is that Roy sucks this year with 10x more talent than Sid Lowe has ever had. Give them equal talent next year and I really like his chances to beat UNC. Roy is a product of the talent he recruits as seen this year, just like I said at the beginning of the year. Don't doubt me...I have been right all along this year.

#44 bigcatdaddy

bigcatdaddy

• HUDDLER
  • 3,614 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:03 AM

I don't know what to think about Marshall...I've seen him play a couple of times (TV) and I think he's OK, but can he elevate this team to the level that Lawson and Felton did? Tough call. He's clearly not as quick as either of them. However I think his court vision is better. He'll have plenty of talent around him to succeed and I'm betting that Roy will make it work. We'll all just have to wait and see. Either way I don't see him starting over Drew his first year.

He didn't make it work this year so I don't know how much stock you should put into him making it work next year.

#45 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 09 March 2010 - 08:07 AM

Then I don't believe that you have seen him play. The kid is slow, but does have good handles and can pass. Quick would not be the word I would use to describe him at all. No way he is a 5 star player, there are at least 10-12 pg's that are in the class that are better then him. Scout has Corey Joseph, and Ryan Harrow ranked behind Marshall and that is crazy. Tyler Thornton has had a better year then Marshall and Thornton outplayed him both times they played this year. Marshall is not even going to make all district 1st team. Also Thornton's team won both games. All of you heels fans are buying into the hype and you will be disappointed, because he is a good player but not great and the system Roy runs he needs a great pg. Sorry kids Marshall is not your savior, and although I do think you will be better next year I don't think you will compete with the top of the ACC.

ok I lied???? Why would I lie? Every game I have seen him in (Which is 3) he beat everybody off of the ball and beat everybody back down court on a few fast breaks, and also took 1 or 2 coast to coast......I am not saying he is the next Lawson or Felton, but the kid has quickness and uses it when need be.(Granted he is not non-stop like Lawson) You give me a choce between Drew and Marshall I would have to wait to see how Marshall transits to a college level, but it looks like to me they are on the same talent level

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com