Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How I calculate the Panthers offseason needs... and proof I have no life...

27 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

nice work Sam.

Posted · Report post

BUMP!

After Wright, Petitti, and Hudson, our needs remain relatively unchanged... with CB sliding down the list a little...

OLB

WR

DE

QB

MLB

G

DT

FS

FB

CB

SS

C

RB

OT

TE

K

LS

P

We now have 44 people I expect to make the final cut, with 13 others I don't expect to see...

That leaves room for 9 more players... We currently have 5 draft picks with an expected award of at least 2 compensatory picks, so that is 7 rookies... I expect to acquire another 2nd for Marshall eventually, and possibly trade next year's first for another 2nd... That'd be 9 rookies to fill the 9 more players...

Gosh, I get more excited this time of the year than I do at Xmas...

Posted · Report post

I would be pretty annoyed if we trade ANOTHER first away.

Posted · Report post

Oh OK, I just noticed on the quality chart you have Dan Connor with the same grade as Nick Hayden...

Posted · Report post

Oh OK, I just noticed on the quality chart you have Dan Connor with the same grade as Nick Hayden...

Both have shared about the same amount of PT, and with the hate Hayden gets around here, he does as good a job as Connor does, in my opinion, when he's in there...

Posted · Report post

i like the OLB ideas. i would love weatherspoon or washington early. washington screams cover 2 LB. another guy i have as OLB that could take some developement time is kam chancellor. convert from SS/FS (where he sucked as FS) to WLB. he has the size to be a damn good LB, but has stiff hips for a safety. runs better than most LB too. very TDish.

only disagreement is the DT need, but based on warm bodies, yes its less of a need than those above it. still feel it the weakest group of starters on the team.

qb is a damn big need atm as we have moore (fine with that), and cantwell (hell no as #2, not yet). i, like you, hope we bring brayton and mccown back. a FA qb with some experiance would be nice to compete with moore (unlikely looking at the FA crop) or be a spot starter if moore went down for a few games. would that knock the QB and DE needs down alot?

Posted · Report post

I would be pretty annoyed if we trade ANOTHER first away.

oh we're doing it I'm going to use a phrase I hate "Bank on it".

Posted · Report post

i like the OLB ideas. i would love weatherspoon or washington early. washington screams cover 2 LB. another guy i have as OLB that could take some developement time is kam chancellor. convert from SS/FS (where he sucked as FS) to WLB. he has the size to be a damn good LB, but has stiff hips for a safety. runs better than most LB too. very TDish.

only disagreement is the DT need, but based on warm bodies, yes its less of a need than those above it. still feel it the weakest group of starters on the team.

qb is a damn big need atm as we have moore (fine with that), and cantwell (hell no as #2, not yet). i, like you, hope we bring brayton and mccown back. a FA qb with some experiance would be nice to compete with moore (unlikely looking at the FA crop) or be a spot starter if moore went down for a few games. would that knock the QB and DE needs down alot?

we don't need two converted safties playing LB. That fit's better at WLB in this system. Davis has WLB locked down. We need to look for a SLB prospect. Almost every 4-3 OLB this year is a WLB.

Navorro Bowman, Sean Weatherpoon, and A.J. Edds would all do well at SLB.

I want to get Rennie Curran as a back up WLB and A.J. Edds as backup SLB or possible starter. Both will be vicious ST guys and can start if needed. We can adress D-line and/or WR early and get these guys in the 3rd - 5th.

Posted · Report post

The re-signing of Brayton bumps DE down the list a couple places, according to my formulas...

OLB

WR

QB

MLB

G

DE

DT

FS

FB

CB

SS

C

RB

OT

TE

K

LS

P

We now have 46 people I expect to make the final cut, with 12 others I don't expect to see...

That leaves room for 7 more players...

We currently have 5 draft picks with an expected award of at least 2 compensatory picks, so that is 7 picks...

I am starting to believe, like many here have suggested, that we will retain Marshall in the end, but still possibly trade next year's first for another 2nd... There still remains the chance that someone will offer Marshall a contract and that we might not match it... As somone pointed out, losing Marshall would certainly bump CB up a notch, but for comparison's sake, the running list of positional need I have above does not include Marshall... So, if we end up retaining him, it pushes CB down on the list a little, and pretty much rules it out as a need...

So, taking into consideration the 5 picks we currently have, the potential 2 compensatory picks (we might even get 3!), and a potential trade of next year's first rounder, we could be looking at at least 8 draft picks to work with to fill our needs in depth and talent...

If we sign a couple more free agents, and retain Marshall, I could even start to see ruling out trading next year's first rounder this year... The talent level at WR and LB will likely be there in the 2nd and 3rd where we pick that, unless someone we have super high on our list at either position falls, we could be content with staying put... I could see Jerry forbidding the trading of future picks when Fox and Hurney may not even be here... He'd likely want to give the next coach all the tools he can, and that would include a first round pick...

It's still relatively early, and a lot could change between now and April... I'm going to do my best though to stay on top of it and continue to provide a quality opinion... ;)

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Both have shared about the same amount of PT, and with the hate Hayden gets around here, he does as good a job as Connor does, in my opinion, when he's in there...

I liked your comment about Hayden and agree with you. (not that my opinion counts for much)

Posted · Report post

OLB

WR

QB

Our first picks in the draft were QB, WR, WR/QB, LB...

Looks like I pretty much nailed it again, right scpanther22?

Posted · Report post

OLB

WR

QB

Our first picks in the draft were QB, WR, WR/QB, LB...

Looks like I pretty much nailed it again, right scpanther22?

Yes Sam you saw the obvious..

Congrats..lol:cornut: