Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pantherfan81

Agent: Panther's Having a Firesale, Have Thrown Away 2010 Season

123 posts in this topic

So an agent says "They didn`t sign my client, so they must not be interested in winning" and we should take that seriously?

Come on guys! Have you never watched a Pantherrs offseason before?

Fox has been told he has one year to prove he deserves an extension. Do you really believe a coach in that circumstance is going to sign on for a "fire sale"?

1 person likes this

These are the points on the article that stand out the most.

"I’ve been talking to a lot of agents over the past few days and it’s hard to find one who has a client the Panthers seem interested in signing."

"They’re having a fire sale. They have thrown away the 2010 season and (owner Jerry) Richardson is going to be pushing for a lockout (after the 2010) season. They are going to be playing Big Lots football in 2010.”

if one agent is thinking that wouldnt others be thinking that too. honestly if i was a agent i would not send my clients to carolina. i would look for a team that would be giving out more than a 1 year deal and who didnt recently dump all there vets.

Which is a good indication as to why you are not an agent.

There are no FA's on the market now that are anywhere near worth what this group is getting. This is the worst FA class in decades. I am glad we are sitting this out now.

Wait until after the draft. You will see other players being released to make room. That is where you can find assets to plug into your system.

Everyone wants the big splashes...gives them something to talk about. However, those teams that typically make those moves have not been successful.

Seriously? People are worried about what agents are saying? All they care about is getting their 30+yr old clients signed for more than they're worth.

Edit...dammit, Mr. Scot beat me to it.

The only thing about DWill's situation is that he's going into a contract year...

We'll either extend him, trade him, or let him play out his deal and try to work something out next offseason...

Sure, we're not even a week into the official offseason, but one would think if they were going to extend him, there would be rumblings in some of the outlets by now...

So far, the only things I have heard are from other teams' writers mulling the option of trading for him... Yeah, it is speculation, but I can see where they have a point...

Seems those of us concerned at this point aren't the only ones. I will wait until June to see what happens. But so far, it can't be characterized as anything but a rebuilding year. That could change if we bring in some vets to replace those we are losing.

Making a big splash early in the free agent market is a lot like being the first person to a garage sale. They might have found a treasure, but most likely they've just overspent for something the prior owner found to be a waste of space.

We never make waves early on in free agency except for the players we let go. And we're not exactly a team that makes agents salivate at a big commission check.

I'm just waiting to see what undervalued, under-utilized diamond in the rough the team turns up with this year.

Sounds like the 'agent' is a crybaby mfer that won't get to take his family on their annual European Cruise because the Panthers are being 'tight' with his clients. :rolleyes:

Not really. We now have young and hungry guys. With Brayton, Kemo (post -op), and Lewis we knew exactly what we had....decent but not great players.

so does hungry and young equal better? that is my concern. i think our offense will be ok. the major parts of that are intact. but the biggest thing we have lost is experience. it will take the young guys a little while to gel together as a unit and get all the line calls right and use to each other. that takes time. i may be 8-10 games before that happens. most of these guys have little to no starting experience and we have really not seen enough of them to say the will all be stars. it looks good for the future to give them some experience but there will be bumps and bruises along the way and to expect them b the same top 10 defense agian maybe stretching it.

Does someone want to make a case for paying over 30 DE's who didn't do anything much last year $10-11 million guaranteed?

Just remember guys, just because we are letting go of has been players except for a short few doesnt mean we are the only team that is not trying to pick up the 1st tier of Free agents. A lot of teams whether its philly or indy because of the new no cap rules, are biding their time and looking at more cost effective players.

who is asking for a big splash? i am just concerned. i didnt say they have to sign every available fa. but honestly you just dont release 8 starters and say we will be better than we were. the guys we released probably are the best fa on the market now. so we either are going to sign guys who are worse than the ones we released or are better but will want a multi year contract.

For most teams the draft is more important. Teams like Chicago who dont even have a 1st or 2nd round pick are the ones spending all the money.

Richardson is sealing John Fox and Marty Hurney's fate.. by giving them an inexperienced team, he is setting us up for failure this season, thus making it easier to cut Fox and Hurney for another sub-par season. Screw you Richardson.