- - - - -

IRS visits Sacramento carwash in pursuit of 4 cents

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CatofWar_*

Guest_CatofWar_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

It was every businessperson's nightmare.

Arriving at Harv's Metro Car Wash in midtown Wednesday afternoon were two dark-suited IRS agents demanding payment of delinquent taxes. "They were deadly serious, very aggressive, very condescending," says Harv's owner, Aaron Zeff.

The really odd part of this: The letter that was hand-delivered to Zeff's on-site manager showed the amount of money owed to the feds was ... 4 cents.

Inexplicably, penalties and taxes accruing on the debt – stemming from the 2006 tax year – were listed as $202.31, leaving Harv's with an obligation of $202.35.

Zeff, who also owns local parking lots and is the president of the Midtown Business Association, finds the situation a bit comical.

"It's hilarious," he says, "that two people hopped in a car and came down here for just 4 cents. I think (the IRS) may have a problem with priorities."

Now he's trying to figure out how penalties and interest could climb so high on such a small debt. He says he's never been told he owes any taxes or that he's ever incurred any late-payment penalties in the four years he's owned Harv's.

In fact, he provided us with an Oct. 22, 2009, letter from the IRS that states Harv's "has filed all required returns and addressed any balances due."

IRS spokesman Jesse Weller isn't commenting "due to privacy and disclosure laws."

Zeff says he's as offended as much as anything else by what he considers rude behavior by the IRS guys. While at Harv's, he sniffs, "they didn't even get a car wash."

pantherfanny, tell your friends thanks for doing a bang up job. IRS is a joke, always will be.

http://www.sacbee.co...o-car-wash.html

#2 StepandFetch

StepandFetch

............chicken wire?

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 06:36 PM

frivolous......

:smilielol5:

#3 PanthersFanNY

PanthersFanNY

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:24 PM

Yep thats pretty dumb. Must be a computer error. Most periods where there is a tax due that small are placed in a "tolerance" status, and shouldn't have been kicked out to a field officer unless there was another issue.

That poo wouldn't fly in my office. I never would have made the field call, I'd have just closed it as little/no tax due and been done with it. The guy was probably new and was just trying to do a thorough job.

It is a shame, but some people weren't meant for the job. It doesn't make sense to run around with a big and bad attitude. People get pissed and then they aren't cooperative. I never talk down to people and I always try to see things from their perspective, I wish every Revenue Officer did the same, but no organization is perfect.

It is pretty stupid, though, to characterize the entire organization as a joke because of isolated incidents like this. It's a large organization, somebody is going to fug something up. poo happens. Fact of the matter is, the IRS is a pretty well oiled machine and runs with minimal hiccups in productivity.

#4 Starscream

Starscream

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • LocationLaurinburg, NC

Posted 14 March 2010 - 07:25 PM

Government at its best.

#5 The Link

The Link

Satire Enthusiast

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 08:58 PM

Yet another fail for a corrupt government organization.

#6 PanthersFanNY

PanthersFanNY

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:12 PM

Yet another fail for a corrupt government organization.

That is a stupid and baseless thing to say.

#7 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

• HUDDLER
  • 15,457 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:19 PM

because fail isn't a noun.

#8 The Link

The Link

Satire Enthusiast

• HUDDLER
  • 2,992 posts

Posted 14 March 2010 - 09:22 PM

:rolleyes:

#9 Guest_CatofWar_*

Guest_CatofWar_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2010 - 11:02 PM

says the goon working for them.

#10 PanthersFanNY

PanthersFanNY

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 05:52 AM

Specifically the corrupt part.

Show me how that is even close to true.

There is an organization that operates as a type of "internal affairs" for the IRS called the Treasury Inspector General of Tax Administration. They'd be coming to see me for spending too much time on the internet. If there was any notion I was corrupt, taking bribes, taking taxpayer money and keeping it, or anything like that they would be at my door with handcuffs ready to haul me away.

And come on CatofWar, I thought you were better than cheap shot posts without any substance...

#11 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 06:44 AM

And come on CatofWar, I thought you were better than cheap shot posts without any substance...

Why would you think that? Especially when you work for and espouse the greatness of the IRS.

#12 PanthersFanNY

PanthersFanNY

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:02 AM

Why would you think that? Especially when you work for and espouse the greatness of the IRS.

Because I'm always willing to listen to facts and reasons about why I might be wrong?

I mean if I am wrong and the IRS is nothing more than a useless and corrupt organization please enlighten me with facts proving it.

#13 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 07:05 AM

Because I'm always willing to listen to facts and reasons about why I might be wrong?

I mean if I am wrong and the IRS is nothing more than a useless and corrupt organization please enlighten me with facts proving it.

Fair enough. I'm not going to try because I don't know enough about the situation.

#14 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 17,004 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:14 AM

You guys are ruthless against PanthersFanNY.

#15 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,884 posts

Posted 15 March 2010 - 10:22 AM

Give me a huge tax break and I will consider believing you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.