Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How did Carolina make it into the NIT?

145 posts in this topic

Posted

the rest of the SEC combined can't match Duke's individual history.

It's comments like this that make you the Wake Forest of this argument.

Posted

I guess our main point is that for a conference that is so utterly dominant in the major money sport (football), the SEC certainly doesn't embarrass itself in basketball. Five national titles in the last 16 years and eight title game appearances in that span should prove that. And we're not talking flukes, either. Arkansas had Corliss Williamson and Scotty Thurmond. Those teams beat Carolina and Duke in the tourney. Florida had four players now starting in the NBA. They beat Carolina and Duke in the same tournament in 2000 when they lost to Mich. State. And Kentucky in 1996 was the best team of the last 30 years, with apologies to Vegas. Kentucky was deeper. If Pitino allows Derek Anderson to play in the 97 final, they might have had three straight titles.

I agree that they were not flukes but I would say those teams were simply a flash in the pan. I'll be shocked if any SEC team outside UK wins a title over the next 10 years.

Posted

I will give you that I may have been a little over agressive with that comment but only slightly. Arkansas and Florida have never been major factors before or since their title seasons. Combined they do have the same number of titles as Duke but nowhere near the history.

Posted

These SEC vs ACC "debates" are so ghey.

Kind of agree with this.

Posted

I can't stand the Tarheels or their fans, but I think last year's NCAA champion should a least be guaranteed the last seed in next year's tourney, regardless of who it is.

Posted

Beating Wake by 30 doesnt mean much considering Miami blew them out by 20ish in the ACC Tournament. Wake didnt deserve to be in the tournament, they were a joke at the end of this season..VT was much better(different argument).

1 person likes this

Posted

Beating Wake by 30 doesnt mean much considering Miami blew them out by 20ish in the ACC Tournament. Wake didnt deserve to be in the tournament..VT was much better.

This is what happens when you drink Big Blue Haterade...

Before the game: UK is going to lose to Wake and I'm going to laugh my ass off

After the game: Wake sucks. Don't know how they even got in.

Posted

This is what happens when you drink Big Blue Haterade...

Before the game: UK is going to lose to Wake and I'm going to laugh my ass off

After the game: Wake sucks. Don't know how they even got in.

Maybe for some. But, i never made that statement. I have stated WVU will win out of that bracket and anyone who picked Wake over Kentucky should look at Wakes last 6 games..big joke. So back to it.. Beating wake isnt that big of an accomplishment. Kentucky finally gets their first test with Cornell. Which has shocked me.

::Also its tough to compare champions in football and basketball cause Football has no playoff and the teams in the championship arent always the best team. We could say the same for Basketball but in Basketball its that teams to lose..everyone gets a shot..cant in Football.

Posted

This is not as far fetched as you might think. You should go do some research. Outside of Kentucky there are 3 titles. Arkansas and Florida(TWICE). Im not sure why you keep talking about Arkansas in your argument because they haven't been relevant since 95. It wouldn't surprise me if Duke has just as many Final Fours as the entire SEC besides UK of course. If they don't the SEC probably doesn't have them by much.

Posted

This is not as far fetched as you might think. You should go do some research. Outside of Kentucky there are 3 titles. Arkansas and Florida(TWICE). Im not sure why you keep talking about Arkansas in your argument because they haven't been relevant since 95. It wouldn't surprise me if Duke has just as many Final Fours as the entire SEC besides UK of course. If they don't the SEC probably doesn't have them by much.

Or you can safely say Duke + UNC combined have more than the SEC combined.

Posted

Basketball:

ACC > SEC

Football:

SEC>ACC

Posted

There are three SEC teams who have been good for a long time who simply haven't had any success in March beyond the first two rounds. Vanderbilt, Alabama and Tennessee are all competitive nationally more often than not, but only Bama has made it to the Elite Eight. Kind of like Clemson times three.

The following schools have produced the following players...

Alabama: Robert Horry, Antonio McDyess, Latrell Sprewell, Gerald Wallace

Arkansas: Sidney Moncrief, Joe Johnson, Corliss Williamson, Todd Day

Auburn: Charles Barkley*, Chuck Person, Wesley Person

Florida: Mike Miller, Joakim Noah, Vernon Maxwell

Georgia: Dominique Wilkins*, Willie Anderson, Vern Fleming

LSU: Shaquille O'Neal, Pete Maravich*, Bob Pettit*, Chris Jackson

Miss St: Bailey Howell*, Erick Dampier, Jeff Malone, Dontae Jones

South Carolina: Alex English*, Mike Dunleavy

Tennessee: Bernard King, Ernie Grunfeld, Dale Ellis

* Hall of Fame

How many Hall of Famers has Duke produced?