Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Going "Young"

31 posts in this topic

Posted

Got it. I thought you meant that another team had made him an offer. I knew we tried to sign him before FA.

Given how quiet it is, I still think re-signing him is a real possibility...and a good idea.

here is the info http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/03/11/1302307/de-brayton-tests-market-in-seattle.html

The Panthers held contract talks with Brayton's representatives before free agency started but were unable to strike a deal, so he chose to test the market.

Posted

The problem with what we are doing is that we have essentially painted ourselves in a corner. being active for peices in the fa market allows you to be more flexible in the draft. the way we are now we cant afford to have any busts at all in the draft and anyone that knows anything about the draft knows that it is a crapshoot sometimes. our whole season could depend on how good this draft is.

also what "mid-level" fas are out there? the ones we just let go? that would be a joke. why would we cut a guy who started for us just to bring them back as a backup? if they came back they probably would start again.

this team always prefers to build first through the draft and then fill out through mid-low level FA acquisitions. this year will be no different. even though their picks are few (i don't believe for a moment that we won't be doing some draft day trading, btw) they will look there first to address their needs and then they will pick through the UDFA class and then they will pick through the emerging mid-level FAs that have yet to hit the market.

these FAs aren't on the market yet because their teams haven't released them yet. this will be a better group than the original FA group that hit the market.

people don't understand that the FA group that came in the first wave is incredibly weak compared to other years because of the uncapped year and the stipulations that come with it. what few quality ones that are there are overpriced (as usual) and the rest of the medicore talent has a higher price tag on them than they really warrant.

we will have a full house come TC this year. we have at this point 24-25 spots still open. just about every single one of these guys will be coming in with a chip on their shoulder wanting to prove they deserve more and will be happy to take a 1-2 year deal to prove themselves. one thing that will be different is that they will be looking for guys that are younger than 30 who have the potential to be solid players going into the future.

Posted

the only thing I disagree with is this

Fox needs to win this season to either earn an extension or get a job as a head coach elsewhere

I think Fox could have a fairly abysmal season in 2010 and still be courted by 6 - 10 teams as a head coach.

Posted

the only thing I disagree with is this

I think Fox could have a fairly abysmal season in 2010 and still be courted by 6 - 10 teams as a head coach.

Possible, but there are some pretty good young coaches out there too, not to mention the Super Bowl winners who didn't get much of a look this season (and, granted, may not next year either).

Posted

As always, well said, Mr. Scot. We could always use more smart & classy guy like you on the Huddle. :)

Posted

There is only one player out there available I want, Brandon Marshall. I think he would be more of an impact this season then any FA left combined. He made Cutler look like a superstar and made the Bears look like dumb a**es by then making Orton look better then Cutler.

Think what he could do with Smith opposite him and Moore throwing to him, scary good. I don't think the Hawks are going to pay up, if we offered them our 1st next year who knows. Maybe throw in our 3rd to close it.

Posted

There is only one player out there available I want, Brandon Marshall. I think he would be more of an impact this season then any FA left combined. He made Cutler look like a superstar and made the Bears look like dumb a**es by then making Orton look better then Cutler.

Think what he could do with Smith opposite him and Moore throwing to him, scary good. I don't think the Hawks are going to pay up, if we offered them our 1st next year who knows. Maybe throw in our 3rd to close it.

this.