Photo
- - - - -

after a bye week

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:08 AM

Anyone remember how bad jake and the defense looked after our bye week in the regular season? What was the problem? was jake rusty? Is anyone besides me worried that we may have "cooled off" in the two weeks between games?

We were obviously peeking as a team during the Tampa, Denver and NYG games, Do you think we are still "hot" Did we peak too early? Discuss?

#2 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

Sell it, Jerry

• HUDDLER
  • 9,436 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:10 AM

It's Fox's job to make sure we stay focused during this rest period but I guarandamntee that when they come out of the tunnel...and hear us yell...they will be RIGHT back to being pumped up as they've always been. After the break they were in Oakland, it was the middle of a long season, nothing was on the line, etc. But this is the Playoffs and psychologically, that's ALL they need.

#3 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:16 AM

It's Fox's job to make sure we stay focused during this rest period but I guarandamntee that when they come out of the tunnel...and hear us yell...they will be RIGHT back to being pumped up as they've always been. After the break they were in Oakland, it was the middle of a long season, nothing was on the line, etc. But this is the Playoffs and psychologically, that's ALL they need.

yea, youre right. we did travel all the way to oakland. and i havnt been to a panther game since i moved to florida, so it is easy for me to forget about all of the extra energy the crowd suppossedly is providing at home this year.

I think our defense and the RBs will be fine, but i am worried a little about jake. he looked awful in oakland, and it took 3 weeks for him to get back on track. i hope he is ready, he usually plays awesome in the playoffs.

#4 Frash Brastard

Frash Brastard

Freddy Frashbear

• HUDDLER
  • 14,791 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:22 AM

I'd rather us have the week off to get healthy like we just did.

Think about it. We would have had to go on the road as a wildcard, with no Otah, no Hangartner, and probably no Maake or Damione Lewis (when was the last player listed as "Questionable" to start the game under Fox? They all probably would've been out)

With injuries abound in the trenches we wouldn't stand a chance going on the road for 3 straight weeks and reaching the superbowl. In 05 the injuries kept piling up and we eventually ran out of gas in the Conference championship.

With these guys able to rest now, we've got a better chance to meet AZ at full strength, and when we're at full strength, we're scary good.

#5 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,585 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 01:29 AM

Then you also don't really have any new injuries either like with Boldin yesterday.

The 2 NFC top squads are 31-5 after the bye since 1990. Obviously it's not hurt most of the teams that have had it.

#6 AcrossThePond

AcrossThePond

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 05:12 AM

We will have learnt from those poor performances following the last bye week. I'd much prefer our players to have had their feet up this weekend eyeing up next weeks opp as opposed to being out there getting banged up.

#7 PantherFanForLife

PantherFanForLife

Banned

• Banned
  • 2,058 posts

Posted 05 January 2009 - 06:16 AM

I worry about that as well, but like a lot of guys said, it beats the alternative.

I think what happened in Oakland not only had something to do with us traveling but also playing Oakland. Not a lot to get our guys pumped up about. We do have an unfortunate tendency to play DOWN to our opponents level sometimes. We just never have really been the type of team to blow others out even though we could easily do it. We just let teams hang around which is one of our problems, and I think that comes from coaching.

It happens every year. That's why a lot of times, I get scared by the Lions and the Oaklands of the NFL. They always have been trap games for us because we get TOO comfortable. This year we just happened to win both of those games.

We are so used to being the underdogs that I think when we face poor teams like the Lions and Raiders, we don't know how to act the part of the favored.

That should not be the case against Arizona.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com