blackcatgrowl

Trolls live here

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:58 AM

http://www.charlotte...orylink=kibboko

Ex-Bobcats owner blasts Charlotte
Johnson calls the city's business community 'arrogant,' 'incestuous' in dealings with minorities.

Days after selling the Charlotte Bobcats, Bob Johnson called Charlotte's business community "arrogant" and "incestuous" and said the city doesn't do enough for existing and potential minority-owned business.

Johnson, a self-made billionaire who started the Black Entertainment Television cable network and brought the Bobcats to Charlotte, made the remarks Saturday at the Urban Leadership Institute, a gathering of mostly black business people.

The group presented Johnson with an award moments before he spoke, though the crowd's reaction was mixed after he made his comments.

"Charlotte is a very, how would I call it, close-knit, arrogant, sometimes incestuous town.

"...It's close-knit, and if you come to this town, and you look like you're one of those people that might break some glass ... it's going to be tough for them to relate to.

"The thing that concerns me is that I'm just surprised that the city doesn't do more for African-American small businesses. And I don't really understand that."

But Mayor Anthony Foxx said later that the city's business climate toward minorities is improving.

"It's becoming increasingly clear that our city's leadership base is broadening,"Foxx said. "What used to be a small group of people leading a large population is now becoming a larger group of people leading even a larger population. Just by nature of the fact that there are more voices at the table. I think you'll see a lot of opportunities emerge."

Johnson has criticized Charlotte's business community before. Two years ago, in an interview with the Observer, he said Charlotte's business community wasn't doing enough to support the expansion team.

"I am absolutely concerned," Johnson told the Observer in April 2008. "I am doing everything I can to make this team work, including writing a lot of checks."

But some people in the community, including members of the City Council, have said he was not visible enough during his tenure as Bobcats owner. Support for the team lagged, the council members said, because of its poor record.

Johnson didn't speak with reporters after his remarks.

"I am surprised at the number of people ... that come to me looking for financial backing that they haven't been able to find in the business community," he said. "I'm surprised that there aren't more substantial alliances between larger white businesses and minority-owned businesses."

He said the owners of No Grease, a group of barber shops owned by the head of the Urban Business Network, had a well-run business and a good plan for growth, but weren't able to find funding.

He added that the onus to improve the climate was also on the black community. "I think what is needed is a little bit more aggressiveness on the part of the African-American community."

Foxx, who spoke to the crowd shortly before Johnson, cited a commission that is examining small business opportunities in Charlotte as evidence of progress.

"I haven't been in every meeting or every social situation or every board table that Bob Johnson's been to, so I can't speak to his experience, only he can," said Foxx. "I can't refute what someone else believes other than to state what I believe, and what I believe is this: this city is more than capable of being an embracing place for minority business owners."

Bob Morgan, president of the Charlotte Chamber of Commerce, said he did not want to talk about Johnson's comments, saying only that "I think Charlotte owes Bob Johnson a debt of gratitude for bringing the NBA back to Charlotte."

Gotta love the divisive remarks. People I know haven't jumped on the Bobcats bandwagon for a number of reasons, none of which was because the owner was a minority.

1. Mostly it has been because the team's piss poor record. They haven't completed a winning season yet (they might this year finally)

2. Lots of folks I know didn't think the team name and logo was fitting for a Charlotte NBA team.

Bobcats? The logo looks like a boy scout badge. (not that there is anything wrong with that, but it didn't really fit as a NBA franchise).

3. I've also heard the stadium is terribly designed. The seating is cramped feeling...

Mr. Johnson... you didn't 'get' Charlotte. Don't blame your failure as an owner on bullsh!t charges of race relations.

Hopefully Michael Jordan will get this franchise turned around.

Edited by blackcatgrowl, 25 March 2010 - 11:03 AM.

#2 cdandi1

cdandi1

Formerly JerryRich4Pres

• HUDDLER
  • 2,707 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:02 AM

I was curious why this wasn't posted on here yet. I guess people wanted to avoid the $hit storm that was created over the name change. FWIW, he wasn't right to blast the city..which proves alot of points made in the "name change" thread.

#3 RedMage138

RedMage138

YES!YES!YES!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

He founded BET and calls other people Racist

Pot, meet Kettle

Edited by RedMage138, 25 March 2010 - 01:23 PM.

#4 theyhateme45

theyhateme45

360 GT = Shino45

• HUDDLER
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:05 AM

I was curious why this wasn't posted on here yet. I guess people wanted to avoid the $hit storm that was created over the name change. FWIW, he wasn't right to blast the city..which proves alot of points made in the "name change" thread.

It was discussed in the lounge

http://www.carolinah...tuous-town.html

#5 AggieLean.

AggieLean.

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationChattanooga, TN via Winston-Salem, NC

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:53 AM

He was right on with the "close-knit, arrogant" comment.

#6 cdandi1

cdandi1

Formerly JerryRich4Pres

• HUDDLER
  • 2,707 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 25 March 2010 - 11:56 AM

He may be right, but you don't see any other owners (past owners) who say things like that even if its true. Every owner has their issues with the city/market, its how they deal with them that counts. Not to mention he said all this stuff after he accpeted an award...classy

#7 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:46 PM

He was right on with the "close-knit, arrogant" comment.

Agreed. And the title is somewhat misleading. He didnt blast Charlotte, he blasted Charlotte's business community and pointed out so many african americans in the community have come to him for advice and investing yet get no love or support locally from the major corporations here. I'm glad Bob has the balls to speak up on this issue and highlight the issues Charlotte's business community faces.

#8 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:49 PM

By the way, this article and headline are brought to you courtesy of the DA Tompkins founded Charlotte Observer.

#9 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,563 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:52 PM

Should a minority business owner be treated any differently than any other buisness owner ?

#10 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,066 posts
  • LocationGATOR CREEK- SC

Posted 25 March 2010 - 12:57 PM

I h8 white people

#11 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:03 PM

Should a minority business owner be treated any differently than any other buisness owner ?

No, but they are. Bob Johnson takes more hate and criticism in a playoff year than any white owner in a non-playoff year. But its cool though, Bob is taking these lumps now so some black owner 20-30 years down the road wont have to. He's taking all the heat and negative press so his friend Michael doesnt have to.:yesnod:

#12 theyhateme45

theyhateme45

360 GT = Shino45

• HUDDLER
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

Agreed. And the title is somewhat misleading. He didnt blast Charlotte, he blasted Charlotte's business community and pointed out so many african americans in the community have come to him for advice and investing yet get no love or support locally from the major corporations here. I'm glad Bob has the balls to speak up on this issue and highlight the issues Charlotte's business community faces.

LOL.... I was thinking before I opened this thread if you found a way to support Bob.... I guess so.

As far as Black business owners.... that's on a case by case base. I graduated from an HBCU so I know people from our school who were able to open their own business and some who failed or couldn't raise needed capitol.

A business is more than just a good idea. Is there business plan well put together? Do they have history that makes them a non risky investor?? Is too many variables to simply this issue to black and white. There are plenty of owners around the professional sports leagues that catch poo. Usually it's the people at the top who gets the blame in most sports when the fans aren't happy.

#13 BOBCATS_BALL!

BOBCATS_BALL!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:17 PM

No, but they are. Bob Johnson takes more hate and criticism in a playoff year than any white owner in a non-playoff year. But its cool though, Bob is taking these lumps now so some black owner 20-30 years down the road wont have to. He's taking all the heat and negative press so his friend Michael doesnt have to.:yesnod:

KT, no disrespect but Bobcat Johnson deserves a lot of the lumps he took. Im sure there were some moments were racism took place but he made many misktakes and never really took the blame for them.

The teams name, the arena naming deal, the prices the first season, first season games hard to find and I could go on. He made many blunders plus he never really opened up to the community. He didnt live here, didnt come to many games and was himself arrogant and divisive with certainly corporation from certain reports.

Now this is coming from a diehard Bobcats fan and Im not a Bobcat Johnson hater, but I am glad he is gone and MJ is our new owner.

#14 BOBCATS_BALL!

BOBCATS_BALL!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

LOL.... I was thinking before I opened this thread if you found a way to support Bob.... I guess so.

As far as Black business owners.... that's on a case by case base. I graduated from an HBCU so I know people from our school who were able to open their own business and some who failed or couldn't raise needed capitol.

A business is more than just a good idea. Is there business plan well put together? Do they have history that makes them a non risky investor?? Is too many variables to simply this issue to black and white. There are plenty of owners around the professional sports leagues that catch poo. Usually it's the people at the top who gets the blame in most sports when the fans aren't happy.

Very true, Im a huge Buffalo Bills fan and I post on their message board a lot. Ralph Wilson, an old white guy, gets more crap from his own fans in one day than Bobcat Johnson got in 5 years.

#15 Implied Volatility

Implied Volatility

Evil Speculator

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCharlotte

Posted 25 March 2010 - 01:19 PM

I don't have any problem with what Johnson said. If what he says is true, how are things suppose to improve if no one talks about it? So if this really is an issue, which it probably is, then I'm glad Johnson is making light of it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com