#31 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:27 PM

although i agree that bob johnson made alot of mistakes, and should have research this market a little better than he did but the comments that he made were made about a select few in this town. he was not talking about most of us. what he was talking about are the ELITE of charlotte the Mccolls, everetts,sabates of this city. what he is saying is that this select few who have alot of influence on whether things get done in this town are to closenit that people who don't fall in line with their way of doing business have a hard time making it in this city. NOT all of this people are white just most of them and they for the most part are very conservative.

If you look at the history of the city of Charlotte it has pretty much been this way the past 100 years. A small group of elite super rich businessmen holding control of the business sector and local government of Charlotte. Making decisions that affect the entire community while at the same time making absolutely no effort to represent the entire community. They are conservative in nature and very rabid about conformity.

#32 BOBCATS_BALL!

BOBCATS_BALL!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

If you look at the history of the city of Charlotte it has pretty much been this way the past 100 years. A small group of elite super rich businessmen holding control of the business sector and local government of Charlotte. Making decisions that affect the entire community while at the same time making absolutely no effort to represent the entire community. They are conservative in nature and very rabid about conformity.

Yet there is an african american major, police chief and city cousel members.

#33 Britneck

Britneck

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:31 PM

although i agree that bob johnson made alot of mistakes, and should have research this market a little better than he did but the comments that he made were made about a select few in this town. he was not talking about most of us. what he was talking about are the ELITE of charlotte the Mccolls, everetts,sabates of this city. what he is saying is that this select few who have alot of influence on whether things get done in this town are to closenit that people who don't fall in line with their way of doing business have a hard time making it in this city. NOT all of this people are white just most of them and they for the most part are very conservative. like when coyote ugly wanted to move its location uptown but were forced to leave because it did not fit into center city partners ideal of what should be in that part of uptown. the problem that i have with bob is that he should have known this from the start and atleast played the game if not for only thet it would have benefited him. and if you are goining to be a straight shooter you should also be willing to own up to your own mistakes

Good first post.

#34 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:40 PM

Yet there is an african american major, police chief and city cousel members.

Who all have less influence and power than those people I described. And Mayor Foxx in about 3 months has been just as big a magnet of criticism so thats a pretty poor example.

Charlotte is a city that got upset that a black man would have the gall to name his business that he paid for after himself. And keep in mind this is a city that has about 1,000 city streets, schools, parks, and local businesses named after rich old white men. But the second a rich black businessmen does that he's seen as arrogant, vain, divisive and needs to be run out of town. We cant grow as a city, as a community, and as a franchise until some of us learn to let go of childish fears and insecurities and understand "different" doesnt always mean evil.

#35 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:45 PM

So you wouldnt be mad if Chuck Norris bought a team and called them the Chuckcats?

#36 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:51 PM

So you wouldnt be mad if Chuck Norris bought a team and called them the Chuckcats?

If he put up 200-300 mill of his money, he could name it what ever he wants like any other businessman. This is done ALL THE TIME.

#37 Munch4455

Munch4455

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:53 PM

Haha ok dude clearly there is no point in arguing seeing as you cant even be honest. No one would be happy with a stupid name like that.

#38 BOBCATS_BALL!

BOBCATS_BALL!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

Who all have less influence and power than those people I described. And Mayor Foxx in about 3 months has been just as big a magnet of criticism so thats a pretty poor example.

Charlotte is a city that got upset that a black man would have the gall to name his business that he paid for after himself. And keep in mind this is a city that has about 1,000 city streets, schools, parks, and local businesses named after rich old white men. But the second a rich black businessmen does that he's seen as arrogant, vain, divisive and needs to be run out of town. We cant grow as a city, as a community, and as a franchise until some of us learn to let go of childish fears and insecurities and understand "different" doesnt always mean evil.

No one is calling him evil. But its is arrogant to name a team after yourself and your examples are poor. The streets, schools and parks are all named after deceased people in order to show them honor for something they accomplished. They dont just name city property after anybody.

He made mistakes, that is unrefutable and it rubbed many the wrong way for him to in essence blame his mistakes on racism.

Bobcat Johnson is the one who brought race into the equation, remember that.

#39 BOBCATS_BALL!

BOBCATS_BALL!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:56 PM

If he put up 200-300 mill of his money, he could name it what ever he wants like any other businessman. This is done ALL THE TIME.

Sure, they could if they were idiots.

#40 rico6

rico6

Shit.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,674 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 02:56 PM

Haha ok dude clearly there is no point in arguing seeing as you cant even be honest. No one would be happy with a stupid name like that.

I do hope that you know you completely misunderstood his point right?

#41 blackcatgrowl

blackcatgrowl

Trolls live here

• HUDDLER
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

What a crock... this has nothing to do with "fears" and "insecurities".

Pat McCory received boatloads of criticism from the time he took office to the day he left. Lots of it was warranted, some of it was political.

The day we can't be critical of our PUBLICLY elected officials because of their skin color, is the day we lose our right to free speech. Oh... wait... we might just be there.

Now... as far as Charlotte giving support for an African American business venture.... there is a $260 million dollar arena (estimated... it probably cost more) sitting on 333 East Trade Street that was paid for by the tax payers of the people of the City of Charlotte, to give Mr. Johnson the opportunity to bring his product to market here.

The way I see it, his product sucked. His team sucked, it's name and colors sucked, the way he wanted to market it sucked (pay-per-view FTL). Ultimately, I can only perceive that his business plan sucked.

So he created a product that had limited appeal, and limited positive response and expected unquestioned support for it? Then he says it was a symptom of race when he didn't get it?

PLEASE. Bob Johnson could have been white, green, orange, purple, or blue, and the Bobcats would have failed just the same.

Michael Jordan is an African American. I think he will do a better job at being an owner as he knows the game and the business side of it. I hope to see a BETTER PRODUCT from him, and hope he succeeds.

The only prejudice I see here is not towards minorities. It's by a member of a minority.

#42 BOBCATS_BALL!

BOBCATS_BALL!

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 553 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:04 PM

I do hope that you know you completely misunderstood his point right?

His point was that the buisnessman has made his money and he can choose to name his business after himself. Thats true in certain situation but in this situation it was a bad business move and Bobcat Johnson has to live with the consequences.

#43 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:09 PM

What a crock... this has nothing to do with "fears" and "insecurities".

Pat McCory received boatloads of criticism from the time he took office to the day he left. Lots of it was warranted, some of it was political.

He was re-elected what? 3 times after the Arena deal went thru? Yeah the city really showed him.

PLEASE. Bob Johnson could have been white, green, orange, purple, or blue, and the Bobcats would have failed just the same.

The Bobcats have not failed, they are actually winning right now. So much so that you're on a message board passionately discussing them. :lol: Bob is a great businessman. It takes genius to get people to patronize your product even though they dont like you.;)

#44 blackcatgrowl

blackcatgrowl

Trolls live here

• HUDDLER
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

He was re-elected what? 3 times after the Arena deal went thru? Yeah the city really showed him.

Wow... way to not understand what I was talking about.

The point is that people should be (and are) critical of Publicly Elected Politicians no matter what their ethnic origins are.

The Bobcats have not failed, they are actually winning right now. So much so that you're on a message board passionately discussing them. :lol: Bob is a great businessman. It takes genius to get people to patronize your product even though they dont like you.;)

Uh... one little point... it's not "his" product anymore.

And I think you're confusing the man with the product.

I didn't have one negative opinion of Mr. Johnson until I read his skewed comments today. All I knew is that his team was never really good, and that I've never watched a BC game, because the product didn't appeal to me.

Had he put together a winning team, with a name and logo that had MASS appeal, I'm sure we'd not be having this discussion.

#45 Zcustom

Zcustom

The Irish Hammer

• HUDDLER
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

kill whitey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.