#91 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,000 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:49 PM

Tell people in Charlotte to stop being whiny racist and support their local home team. The truth hurts.

Waah Waah Waah...I am black and everything bad that happens to me is because of evil whitey.

Your schtick is getting old KT.

You are the sterotypical racist....you blame EVERYTHING bad that happens to you and EVERY failure you or another african american has on someone else. Tehre is no accountability in your eyes....only excuses.

#92 Zcustom

Zcustom

The Irish Hammer

• HUDDLER
  • 5,704 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

Thats Charlotte for you baby! Welcome to the "new south"! ;)

How about you grow a pair and respond to my post?

#93 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 02:57 PM

You're correct on the percentages here. But you're speculating that this was a voting "Block" move by any particular group.

http://www.meckboe.o...dum01/off1.html

If you look at the districts, the "For's" precincts are spread all over the city, as are the "against's".

Total turnout for this vote was 30% of registered voters. 14,578 people decided the fate of the arena.

P.S. Comparing any city support for the Nascar HoF to support for the Bobcats is absurd. The Hall of Fame's first-year projection of visitors is 831,000. It is expected to settle in at about 400,000 visitors annually in subsequent years.

http://www.nascar.co....economy/1.html

The amount of money that will bring into the City FAR trumps any NBA franchise offering. (in fact, sports franchises can often COST a city not benefit it).

not comparing, just pointing out one the reasons i here why people won't support the cats. i hope the nhof garners 2 million people per year because you can't put a price on the value that is for the city. it's just time in my mind to put shinn,johnson, the arena behind us it's all done and over with now. the arena has attracted events we would have had no chance to get(CIAA)and i would rather take my family to a show there than drive 90 miles because i don't like how it got built

#94 blackcatgrowl

blackcatgrowl

Trolls live here

• HUDDLER
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:02 PM

the arena behind us it's all done and over with now

Yeah, I guess you're right. Now that BJ has shown his true colors, I'm fairly sure most people will move on.

It's too bad about that several hundred multi-million dollar gutted plot of land by the airport. It's going to be a nice park I believe.

#95 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:05 PM

Yeah, I guess you're right. Now that BJ has shown his true colors, I'm fairly sure most people will move on.

It's too bad about that several hundred multi-million dollar gutted plot of land by the airport. It's going to be a nice park I believe.

I thinks it's going to be some type of multi-use community, the city came out pretty good i think they got over 20 miilion for the land and the old cols. was already paid for

#96 blackcatgrowl

blackcatgrowl

Trolls live here

• HUDDLER
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

I thinks it's going to be some type of multi-use community, the city came out pretty good i think they got over 20 miilion for the land and the old cols. was already paid for

Yep. $52 million fully paid for coliseum torn down to the ground for Mr. Johnson's ambitions. (Inflation adjusted that's 95 million in 2010 dollars).

Maybe if we had torn down a $150 mil building he wouldn't feel so put off.

#97 Niner National

Niner National

• HUDDLER
  • 3,493 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:29 PM

if you have a problem attending events at the arena then you should also have the same issue with the nascar hall of fame and all those new shiny musuems that were built uptown because they come from the same source.

actually, you are wrong. All those new museums were funded by Wachovia/Wells Fargo (except the Nascar Hall of Fame of course). Once completed, their operating costs will be covered by the city, but the tax value of the new tower build adjacent to them more than covers their operating costs.

#98 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

actually, you are wrong. All those new museums were funded by Wachovia/Wells Fargo (except the Nascar Hall of Fame of course). Once completed, their operating costs will be covered by the city, but the tax value of the new tower build adjacent to them more than covers their operating costs.

i'm affraid not my friend they are funded through taxes received from hotels car rentals and such. wells/wach just gets a tax break on part of the value of their property up to a certain % for their contribution to the project(they did not fund all of the 160 million cost) either way tax funds of some sort where used to build all of these buildings . in turn wells/wach turns ownership of these buildings to the city(so they don't have to cover operating expenses)

Edited by mj4life, 26 March 2010 - 03:43 PM.

#99 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:46 PM

it should also be noted that deals like this called tax incr. financing generally cover certain things performed by one party(ex. parking deck construction)the city then gives them a tax break for ex amount of years based on the potential value of the entire project

Edited by mj4life, 26 March 2010 - 03:49 PM.

#100 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,742 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:49 PM

The Bobcats weren't supported because they haven't had a winning season in their franchise history. It was exacerbated by the fact that the team they replaced, the Hornets, were perennial playoff contenders when they left to go to New Orleans. I believe that if the Bobcats came here without the history of the Hornets, the community and the fans would have tolerated the losing better.

If you compare them to the Panthers who only have 10 games to fill, the Panthers had success very early in their second year plus have been a contender most years. I really think that Brown and Jordan will turn things around. They will likely make the playoffs for the first time and have a owner who is popular and at least says he will be visible. Johnson blasts the community but he surely didn't embrace Charlotte either. Does he live here like Richardson does? Do the Bobcats do as many PR things as the Panthers do? Are they as visible in the community? Do they even try and get the PR support that the Panthers garner?

I would say that the Bobcats were their own worst enemy and did little to garner support in the community. Hopefully a big name like Jordan will turn that around.

Edited by panthers55, 26 March 2010 - 03:53 PM.

#101 mj4life

mj4life

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 03:57 PM

I would say that the Bobcats were their own worst enemy and did little to garner support in the community. Hopefully a big name like Jordan will turn that around.

BINGO, it's just that some are debating other reasons race, the arena and such, i would hope we could move past all the mistakes and controversy that have been around the team

#102 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:11 PM

BINGO, it's just that some are debating other reasons race, the arena and such, i would hope we could move past all the mistakes and controversy that have been around the team

As long as the Charlotte Observer is in business we wont. People said 3 years ago on this board, if the Bobcats win the critics and shots at ownership will go away. The Bobs get more negative ink now than ever. Its gone into overdrive now that we're knocking on a playoff berth. Its sad when the people and media in your own town are your biggest haters.

#103 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:14 PM

The city of Charlotte has shown its true colors. Its got alot of growing up to do to catch up with the rest of the world. And Bob's still here as a part owner of the Bobcats. If he stays, will we be able to move on? Or does he need to get out of town first?

#104 King Taharqa

King Taharqa

The Panthers Quarterback

• HUDDLER
  • 8,774 posts
  • LocationBobcat Country

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:16 PM

How about you grow a pair and respond to my post?

Why dont you grow a pair? Instead of taking me out for a beer, take Tom Sorenson or one of the other "writers" for the Observer and explain to them their articles create division in our community. Talk to them Zcustom, give them that paternal guidance that their irresponsible journalism reflects poorly on this city. Tell them that they misrepresent Charlotteans.

#105 blackcatgrowl

blackcatgrowl

Trolls live here

• HUDDLER
  • 6,944 posts

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:36 PM

The city of Charlotte has shown its true colors. Its got alot of growing up to do to catch up with the rest of the world. And Bob's still here as a part owner of the Bobcats. If he stays, will we be able to move on? Or does he need to get out of town first?

I don't know of ONE person who gives a flying f**k if Bob Johnson had a partial ownership in anything in this town. I know I certainly don't care. And no one has drummed him out of town. He is the one that sold his stake and moved on from ownership responsibilities (or whatever he did).

If the GENERAL POPULATION backed the Bobcats, we'd not be having this conversation. If the Bobcats filled TWC Stadium to capacity every game, then it would be a highly profitable business venture. If the product was better, than we might see this. And did you or Mr. Johnson stop to think that an historic economic downturn might have a hand in what's going on with attendance?

And The Observer simply reported what Bob Johnson said. "Irresponsible journalism"? For reporting racial bigotry? If Jerry Richardson said that Minorities were not supportive of the Panthers, f**king CNN would have that sh*t on the front page of their website. And yet you blame the newspaper?? Oh right... anything that casts a bad view of a minority member is divisive. I see....

People like you are the reason there is still a race barrier. Until there expectation to be treated like an equal, instead of being given "special" consideration , there will always be an unbalanced relationship, one side will be resentful, and the vicious circle of racism will continue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com