Photo
- - - - -

I don't get this at all

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#31 methodtoll

methodtoll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:03 PM

Ok the first 2 rounds you go based off of bpa thats of a need. in rounds later than that you dont expect any immediate contribution so at the point you take the Dan conor's. Kalil was a need when we drafted him. I did'nt say W.R was our only option but looks to be the mose likely.

And then finally. We could draft a QB, if one they really liked dropped to them, but logically speaking no qb we get with the 48th pick is going to be ready to back matt moore up nearly as well as the qb's who will be on the market as a F.A.

Kalil was not a need at that time and a lot of fans were questioning why we drafted him

To add to more examples: Many expected us to draft Troy Williamson or Derrick Johnson back in 05 but we ended up selecting Thomas Davis

Or what about us drafting Beason when may expected us to make a play for Patrick Willis (which plays the same position but no one really considered Beason) or a safety... Some even speculated that we would draft Brady Quinn!

Just saying

#32 coxc63

coxc63

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:07 PM

You're an idiot. You honestly think our FO is too stupid to notice that Jarrett is a superstar, and that Jake has 100% trust in him...but just can't figure out how to unlock his eyes off Smith. That's sad.

No I think our FO is too stupid to notice that a player doesn't always need separation to make a good play down the field...that our QBs aren't aware that if jarrett is singled covered then throw the ball up he'll come down with it. But when the offence is built around one reciever all the fans are blind to the other recievers on the team. Cuz god forbid if the ball is thrown out of smittys direction the whole fan base will boo. And your the idiot for not noticing talent when its right in front of your eyes.

#33 House

House

Fly Navy

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:09 PM

and just to add the BPA philosophy, is an elite offensive tackle or RB is on the board when we pick I bet you we would pass on them in favor of W.R. who may not be ranked as high.

I think you are completely wrong here. If an elite tackle was still on the board at #48 I guarantee you we would take him. I doubt there would be but we would be stupid to pass up the ability to draft an elite OLman in the second round no matter how good our starters are.

#34 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

Or what about us drafting Beason when may expected us to make a play for Patrick Willis (which plays the same position but no one really considered Beason) or a safety... Some even speculated that we would draft Brady Quinn!

Actually that's a great example. We would have taken Willis in a heartbeat if he was there, but he wasn't. We needed a Linebacker or a Safety, and the best at either position would have been a reach. So instead of taking BPA or reaching, we traded down and got Beason and Kalil. The rest is history. :)

#35 House

House

Fly Navy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:10 PM

No I think our FO is too stupid to notice that a player doesn't always need separation to make a good play down the field...that our QBs aren't aware that if jarrett is singled covered then throw the ball up he'll come down with it. But when the offence is built around one reciever all the fans are blind to the other recievers on the team. Cuz god forbid if the ball is thrown out of smittys direction the whole fan base will boo. And your the idiot for not noticing talent when its right in front of your eyes.

If your #2 WR is so slow that the only way to get him the ball is to throw it really high and pray he comes down with it, he shouldn't be your #2 WR.

#36 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,672 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:12 PM

I think our FO is too stupid to notice that a player doesn't always need separation to make a good play down the field...
[I think] that our QBs aren't aware that if jarrett is singled covered then throw the ball up he'll come down with it.
[I think] the offence is built around one reciever [and] all the fans are blind to the other recievers on the team.

Speaks for itself. There are about a thousand fans on this board that make more sense than you do.

#37 Razzy

Razzy

Banned

• HUDDLER
  • 3,053 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:54 PM

I don't. I count on Jarrett to step up at #2, and whoever we draft to play slot.

#38 Brooklyn Bully

Brooklyn Bully

Sell it, Jerry

• HUDDLER
  • 9,294 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

You may want to check out Moose's numbers, since you think everything is directed at Smith. And they spell it "offence" in the UK. Are you a surly Brit?

#39 jasonluckydog

jasonluckydog

Never go full retard

• ALL-PRO
  • 13,190 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:13 PM

We need a Deshaun Jackson type of player but will end up with a Devin Thomas

#40 panther4life

panther4life

• HUDDLER
  • 4,654 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:25 PM

Kalil was not a need at that time and a lot of fans were questioning why we drafted him

To add to more examples: Many expected us to draft Troy Williamson or Derrick Johnson back in 05 but we ended up selecting Thomas Davis

Just saying

as Cyberjag pointed out we had Hartwig coming off injury so we did in fact need Kailil...

Derrick Johnson plays the same position as Davis and as a matter of a fact according to most peeps he was the BPA above Davis at the time. Beason was drafted after Willis who also plays the same position as Willis. And according to alot of people Quinn was the BPA on the board at the time, remember he fell alot. It almost seems as if your solidifying my argument without realizing it

#41 methodtoll

methodtoll

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:58 PM

as Cyberjag pointed out we had Hartwig coming off injury so we did in fact need Kailil...

Derrick Johnson plays the same position as Davis and as a matter of a fact according to most peeps he was the BPA above Davis at the time. Beason was drafted after Willis who also plays the same position as Willis. And according to alot of people Quinn was the BPA on the board at the time, remember he fell alot. It almost seems as if your solidifying my argument without realizing it

Actually, what I am arguing is the fact that most fans are sold on a certain position or player and yet mostly every time the Hurney and and Fox pull a fast one on ya.

To counter argue, Kalil was not a need due to the fact that Hartwig was on the roster and there were other guys on there that could play multiple positions. Most, at the time, consider this a move of value more then need and it certainly paid off. The same is said about Connor, not really a need because we have Beason and solid LBing corp but again, its about value.

As for Davis, at the time, nobody knew for certain whether he was a safety or a linebacker which is why most fans, AT THE TIME, questioned this pick over Derrick Johnson.

and if Brady Quinn was really the BPA then why did the Panthers pass on him to move down and get Beason? Beason, to me, was more of a BPA then Quinn, I believe

#42 firstdayfan

firstdayfan

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,634 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:26 PM

The BPA approach is a solid philosophy except for the first pick for the panthers. The first pick whether first or second round is generally someone the FO is targeting for a specific reason. After that first pick the BPA approach is in full swing.

The reason I feel that way is that the first pick generally needs to fill some role for the team...be it a future replacement (brown, beason) a quality backup (Jonathon Stewart), a mike vick spy (Thomas davis), or a gaping hole (gross, peppers, gamble). Those first picks HAVE to fill a need and the role that the FO envisions. This year that role is a potential starter at WR...so the first pick will probably be a WR it just depends on which one they have their eye on.

After that the FO has been really good at taking the BPA for later picks do we could see a CB in the 3rd, a safety in the 4th, or a QB at some point (although I don't want one)...it's really up in the air.

But bc they signed brayton and expect connor to start I feel that the first pick will be a WR. The only scenerio that I could see us not picking a receiver would be if eversen griffen dropped to the second round and we made a move up to get him but since we picked a DE with the first pick last year I doubt that would happen.

#43 beastson

beastson

Philly Cheese Steak

• HUDDLER
  • 10,027 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:37 PM

Not to be shocked? Everybody will be. We need a WR for now and the future

And we have a great collection of receivers coming out this year

#44 Woodie

Woodie

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:07 PM

On BPA, it's really simple. They identify the primary areas of need, and look for BPA from those positions. However, if nobody of value is available at one of those positions they will go general BPA, particularly if someone they had rated significantly higher falls in their laps (i.e. Kalil and Connor).

As for Jarrett, throughout this off-season, I have felt that he will surprise quite a few people next year. However, after reading between the lines of what Smitty, Fox, and Hurney have recently said about him, I am no longer sure I was correct. The impression I am now left with is that despite everyone really wanting and needing him to step up, nobody is confident that he will. I get the feeling they think he can, but not that he will. IMO, that speaks volumes about how they perceive his work ethic and dedication. So, I think we have to approach things as if he will not step up. That way, if he does, we get bonus points, but are not left holding an empty bag if he disappoints again.

#45 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 01:28 AM

not true.

it might take 2 years to reach full potential, but an impact can be immediate.

very true. percy harvin is a good example

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com