Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smitty was on WFNZ this morning

49 posts in this topic

Posted

Celania asked him if he like the ball Moore threw, he said he likes it anytime the ball is coming to him, regardless of who's throwing. Crap answer IMO

Or could have been wanting to avoid saying something negative about a friend (i.e. Jake).

Doesn't want to be #1 anymore? What kind of player talks like that?

And some of y'all crucified me for questioning his early-season effort.

I questioned his early season effort as well, and still do. But with that said, I fully understand this statement.

If he was a competitor, he would want to line up against the best every sunday and beat them.

It's called being smart.

Chris Harris is a competitor too, but if he came out and said "line me up one on one against Andre Johnson. I'll take him", I'd consider that a pretty foolhardy statement. Even more so if it came from, say, Mike Minter. Likewise, both parts of "Double Trouble" have come out in favor of splitting carries, which is smarter than either saying "I want to be the workhorse alone".

Smith is getting older, and he obviously knows it (he's coming off a broken arm, for Peak's sake). Right now, the smartest thing he can do to extend his career is learn to play a supporting role and be content with it.

Plus, honestly, what he suggests is better for the team, too.

Posted

Why are people trying to give Smith such a hard time?

First Fiz talking about him punching people (weeks back when I read a few posts about it), then people questioning him not wanting to be a #1 and now questioning his work ethic.

Posted

Maybe he's been asking for a legit #2 for years without much success.

So maybe he figures if he asks for a #1, then he'll get an actual legit #2.

Either that or the whole thing smells like #2.

Posted

Maybe he's been asking for a legit #2 for years without much success.

So maybe he figures if he asks for a #1, then he'll get an actual legit #2.

Either that or the whole thing smells like #2.

I thought your avatar was wearing a dunce cap. Is it actually a tinfoil hat?

Posted

Why are people trying to give Smith such a hard time?

First Fiz talking about him punching people (weeks back when I read a few posts about it), then people questioning him not wanting to be a #1 and now questioning his work ethic.

Probably because when you an a$$ to so many people in real life, not everyone is going to love you no matter how many TD's you score on Sunday.

Posted

Probably because when you an a$$ to so many people in real life, not everyone is going to love you no matter how many TD's you score on Sunday.

It's not about his character, it's about his football ability.

There is a difference in questioning his personality versus questioning his ability. For example, his willingness to be a #1 has nothing to do with punching people or being an ass, nor does it have anything to do with his work ethic.

Sure, I guess you can analyze his personality and use that to guess at his motives, but I don't think anyone that has criticized him has sat down and said "Hey, I'm going to analyze Steve Smith today!" It merely sounds like people are making random comments about him.

1 person likes this

Posted

Smith is probably the biggest enigma on the team. I'd bet even some of his teammates aren't sure what to make of him sometimes.

He can be a complete jerk, and often is, but he also occasionally can seem like the nicest guy around. This past year, out of the blue and with no prompting, he walked over to a friend of mine and his kids who were standing at the fence after a training camp session and signed an autograph for them. Not too many guys were signing that day, and Smith hardly ever signs, but this day he did.

Is he likely kind of a jerk overall? Possible (some would say probable) but there are times when he'll surprise you.

1 person likes this

Posted

- Most notable, he said coach Fox gave a speech to end the season this year that inspired all the players to come back and work harder than ever. Smitty said he spoke to them as men, not players or employees, and that it meant the world to him and most of the guys. He said, "I know I'm going to work as hard as I can for coach fox"

If the players still believe in Coach Fox, then I do too.

Posted

Smitty is way too fierce of a competitor to just roll over... He may want someone else who can be a recieving threat so that he doesnt get triple teamed ever play, but he is not becoming lazy or losing his desire.... bet on that.

I agree with whoever said he is just asking for a number one in hopes for a number two, and I don't blame him for that at all. But asking a rookie to step in and become a legit number two is very challenging.

I really wouldn't be surprised if we make a trade with our next year's first rounder and it just might involve a veteran wide-reciever not named Brandon Marshall.

haha at the Andre Johnson comment, Wouldn't we all like to have him and Peyton

Posted

I'd love to see the transcript of that Fox speech...

Posted

I think a few of you are reading far too much negativity into Smith's statements. It seems that all he is saying is that he has matured and no longer cares to have his ego stroked by being called the #1 WR. He cites Andre Johnson to emphasize that he is putting himself secondary to the needs of the team. He says he wants to move around positions to demonstrate that he is willing to do whatever it takes.

I thought this was pretty straightforward. Smith wants to win HERE and is going to do whatever it takes to make that happen.

Posted

So Smith thinks he's always open and doesn't particularly like playing second fiddle to a run-first offense, but he wants a No. 1 receiver to come in and take even more attention away from him?

Makes perfect sense.