Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strategy Games for PC

45 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Need some recommendation for some good strategy games for the PC. Son asked for one for his birthday next week and didn't really have one in mind. I know there are some new ones out there that are in the $50 price range but I am not sure he has the time to devote to one with sports and school work. Any recommendations on some popular ones that might be in the $25 price range? I know absolutely nothing about these games.

Thanks

Posted · Report post

civilizations 4!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted · Report post

Question becomes, RTS, or turn based?

You could go get him a few of the classics for the price of the new fluff.

Some Warcraft, Starcraft, Command and Conquer, etc. They also have a ton of independent strategy games on Steam.

Posted · Report post

Sins of a Solar Empire.

Civilization.

Europa Universalis.

Quick Hit Football.

Medieval Total War 2.

I can go on and on and on... don't stop believing.

Posted · Report post

Probably not what he wants, but Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 is worth playing.

If you wanna be a real cools dads, get a Warcraft III battlechest, a Starcraft Battlechest, Command and Conquer 2: Red Alert PLUS a hot new strategy game like the ones suggested earlier.

But really, you need to find out if he wants RTS or TB.

Posted · Report post

Depends on how old he is. If he is older Total War games are always good. Can't go wrong with Civ 4. Sins of a Solar Empire is ok, I didn't really get into it.

Posted · Report post

Here's my favorite strategy game, and if you can track it down, it should be like 5$.

http://www.ageofwonders.com/

Good luck finding a copy though, and the game definitely isn't for everyone. Its a fantasy turn based strategy where it doesn't matter how much army you has, if your king dies, you lose.

Nice fantasy elements, rpg elements, and solid turn based format.

Not something I would recommend to anyone though.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

He is 17 and his a bright kid (not sure where that comes from)....so he should be able to play any game out there.

After looking up the difference between Turn by Turn and Real Time, I think he was referring to turn by turn but I will need to check. The PC he will be putting it on is a 4 year old Gateway and has a ton of stuff on it so I am hoping performance is not an issue. I would think turn by turn might be better suited for the PC no?

Posted · Report post

Turn based is harder to find unfortunately. Almost every PC strat is real time.

You'll definitely want to go with older games, and stay away from Civilization IV if your pc is that old. Nothing would suck worse for you or him than getting a shiny new game that won't run properly.

That Age of Wonders game is turn based, but its fantasy, and that turns a lot of strat fans off. I'll dig around and see what kind of TB games I can suggest.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

turn based is harder to find unfortunately. Almost every pc strat is real time.

you'll definitely want to go with older games, and stay away from civilization iv if your pc is that old. Nothing would suck worse for you or him than getting a shiny new game that won't run properly.

that age of wonders game is turn based, but its fantasy, and that turns a lot of strat fans off. I'll dig around and see what kind of tb games i can suggest.

qft