• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:17 PM

I'm thinking of getting a PC almost exclusively for gaming purposes. I have a Macbook for every day use, a Macbook pro for audio recording, and I don't want to use either for gaming. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should get? I am don't really know much about them.

#2 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:21 PM

I'm thinking of getting a PC almost exclusively for gaming purposes. I have a Macbook for every day use, a Macbook pro for audio recording, and I don't want to use either for gaming. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should get? I am don't really know much about them.

Build it yourself or find someone who knows how to to build it for you. Thats the only way you're going to get your moneys worth bro.

#3 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:24 PM

Build it yourself or find someone who knows how to to build it for you. Thats the only way you're going to get your moneys worth bro.

Yea I was thinking about doing that. I don't know anyone that can do it for me, because I sure can't. I will see if I can find anyone.

I was also told about Alienware. The only thing I know about them is their price. Anyone have any experience with such?

#4 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:26 PM

Yea I was thinking about doing that. I don't know anyone that can do it for me, because I sure can't. I will see if I can find anyone.

I was also told about Alienware. The only thing I know about them is their price. Anyone have any experience with such?

Alienware's are great machines but they are overpriced as fug. However Dell caries the Alienware Aurora for a decent price you might want to check that, I can help you with picking components if you want to go the diy route. Most bookstores sell how-to books on building your own system.

EDIT: http://www.dell.com/...aurora-anav-1~~

Theres the base model Aurora.

#5 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:29 PM

Alienware's are great machines but they are overpriced as fug. However Dell caries the Alienware Aurora for a decent price you might want to check that, I can help you with picking components if you want to go the diy route. Most bookstores sell how-to books on building your own system.

Sure you get can over my Gator fandom to help me?:D
I'll check out some books at Barnes & Noble later this week and see what they say. If it's not too hard to do it myself I probably will. The best way to get absolutely what I want. Thanks a lot, man!

#6 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:35 PM

Sure you get can over my Gator fandom to help me?:D
I'll check out some books at Barnes & Noble later this week and see what they say. If it's not too hard to do it myself I probably will. The best way to get absolutely what I want. Thanks a lot, man!

Haha we've had our heated debates in the past but I think I'll manage. Just send me a pm and let me know what you need help with.

#7 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 04:44 PM

Haha we've had our heated debates in the past but I think I'll manage. Just send me a pm and let me know what you need help with.

All in good fun, man. I'll definitely send you some PM's with questions soon. Thanks for the help.

#8 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 05:05 PM

Another thing, what can I expect to pay for building my own computer? Just like a ballpark range.

#9 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:27 PM

Another thing, what can I expect to pay for building my own computer? Just like a ballpark range.

Depends on how close to top of the line you want it, you can build a decent machine for around 750 not counting a monitor. Something that would run Crysis well (game I use to test how good a machine is) would run around 1500 maybe a bit less.

#10 Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ

Ranucci's Big Butt BBQ

Huddle Pit Master

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:32 PM

I have a case if you want it. Blue raidmax with side window and fans. Just built a new machine and this case is just sitting here. It has a power supply but it you will want to get a new one if you want to run any mid to upper range video card.

#11 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:37 PM

I have a case if you want it. Blue raidmax with side window and fans. Just built a new machine and this case is just sitting here. It has a power supply but it you will want to get a new one if you want to run any mid to upper range video card.

Sweet we can turn this into 97's rig donation thread!!

#12 RedMage138

RedMage138

YES!YES!YES!

• HUDDLER
  • 2,533 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:05 PM

Depends on how close to top of the line you want it, you can build a decent machine for around 750 not counting a monitor. Something that would run Crysis well (game I use to test how good a machine is) would run around 1500 maybe a bit less.

lol 1500? I built the rig I'm on now for under a grand 2 years ago and it runs crysis on max everything.

Started with this barebones from Tiger Direct:

http://www.tigerdire...3908&CatId=2405

(Personally I don't think going Core i is worth it because of the expense right now)

add:

WD Caviar Black 640 GB Hard Drive

BFG GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 * 2 if you want to SLI

Another 4 GB OCZ RAM

Arctic Cooling Fan

And an operating system and you're sitting at just around $900.

#13 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 08:26 PM

I said that without even opening neweggs website and haven't built a machine in awhile my apologies. Ok 97 1500 would get you a bitchin machine then, also do you need a monitor or do you have one?

#14 PanthersFanNY

PanthersFanNY

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,658 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:20 PM

Alienware sucks.

Get an ASUS. Great gaming computers much more reasonably priced. Mine was about $1100 and it can handle anything out there.

#15 C47

C47

89...Panther for Life...

• HUDDLER
  • 12,209 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:34 AM

Alienware sucks.

Get an ASUS. Great gaming computers much more reasonably priced. Mine was about $1100 and it can handle anything out there.

The Aurora that Dell carries is 200 dollars more and it comes with a 2 year warranty I believe it was. Not to mention an ATi Crossfire setup. But thats neither here nor there, if your using it for gaming you're stupid to buy a prebuilt machine, unless of course you have disposable income.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com