Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoover: Panthers in 'opportunity to fail'

224 posts in this topic

Posted

Fiametta and Hoover. Who is/was the third?

And don't say Sutton. Sutton is a HB, he is smallest (shortest and lightest) back on the team. He has never played FB at any point in his career other than the one game where Fiametta and Hoover were both out.

Also, I think Rosario outperformed Fiametta by a mile at FB last year.

Sutton. I said it LOL. I understand where you are coming from though.

Posted

If we're close to failure after cutting a 33 year old fullback, we were close to failure before we cut him.

2 people like this

Posted

Agreed.

He is unemployed and is bitter about it. However, I do think this one was a financial move. You invested a high pick in the best FB in the draft. You have to get those guys on the field. Hoover has struggled with injuries the past two years....including his back.

yeah- Im afraid Hoover doesnt really have anthing to blame but getting old and the pounding he has taken over the years.

Hopefully hes put some of his past pay away.

Posted

Fiametta will not be our FB of the future. I'd put money on that. He will be this season though, obviously.

Posted

I think there is a bit of sour grapes, but 33 is hardly old for fullbacks and Hoovs point that Fiammetta was not outplaying him is valid. The reason I feel...and this may be to Hoover's point, that the Panthers may be setting themselves up for failure is they did cut some very productive players for some unprovens in HOPE they step up. Fiammetta is one of them. I also lol at the notion Sutton will be a full time FB. He did well for spot duty, but that was only spot duty.

Posted

Why are so many people already so down on Fiametta?

Posted

He'z not hoover!!!!

Posted

I think there is a bit of sour grapes, but 33 is hardly old for fullbacks and Hoovs point that Fiammetta was not outplaying him is valid. The reason I feel...and this may be to Hoover's point, that the Panthers may be setting themselves up for failure is they did cut some very productive players for some unprovens in HOPE they step up. Fiammetta is one of them. I also lol at the notion Sutton will be a full time FB. He did well for spot duty, but that was only spot duty.

So we should tie up a roster spot for a guy who spent a large chunk of last year on the bench? By the way, he's not getting younger, and get used more than the average FB.

Posted

Unproven. You have the glass half empty camp and the glass half full camp. The rosey glasses people that say all the reserves thrown into fulltime starting rolls will succeed (so they hope) while the others are reserved and want to see some production from these guys first.

Fiammetta was a good college FB, but so was two other FBs that Hoover managed to beat out over the years the Panthers drafted. We'll see if that translates to the pros...

Posted

So we should tie up a roster spot for a guy who spent a large chunk of last year on the bench? By the way, he's not getting younger, and get used more than the average FB.

Smitty sat the entire '04 season with an injury, so we should have cut him in '05. I like the logic!

Posted

Smitty sat the entire '04 season with an injury, so we should have cut him in '05. I like the logic!

If you like logic you would have used it. How old was Smith compared to Hoover? A broken leg compared to lower backmuscle problems? How much abuse does a WR take compared to a FB in a run first style offense? Clearly, you don't like logic.

1 person likes this

Posted

Fiametta will not be our FB of the future. I'd put money on that. He will be this season though, obviously.

Yep. Fiammetta wasn't even good enough to start the games Hoover was hurt.