Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hoover: Panthers in 'opportunity to fail'

224 posts in this topic

Posted

I hear ya, my comment was not just directed at you though.

What's to debate here? Really

Age and salary, NOT lack of productivity with re-occuring injury lead to Hoover's cut.

Posted

Like several of the moves we made it made no football sense and was motivated by money only.

Unfortunately, the two almost always go hand in hand.

Posted

Teams don't just draft FBs because they lack talent...

Fiammetta was one of the strongest FBs and possibly the best overall out of his class last year... He'll do just fine becoming our starter, thank you very much...

Blind loyalty is a plague that strikes deep within the heart of the Panthers fan base...

How about we give the young guy a chance before we write him off and only remember a guy who isn't even a Panther anymore?

^This.

Also, I think it is funny how most of the optimists from last year are now pessimists and vice versa. I don't blame Hoover for being pissed, but it is clear that we're going in a different direction and he had to go.

Posted

I agree that fiametta underwhelmed this season, but he was also a rookie. If he bulks up this offseason, I think that'll solve a lot of his problems.

Posted

Bitches wanted it until they got it.

"Fox won't make the tough cuts."

"Fox plays over the hill veterans instead of up and coming younger players."

"Fox stuck with (player x) too long."

blah blah blah

Now they have another dead horse to beat. :rolleyes:

3 people like this

Posted

I agree with most of the cuts, but cutting him was a huge mistake. Can't really blame him for any anger he has.

Amen!!!!

Posted

at first I didnt like the Hoover cut. He is a great blocking FB with experience and we are a run first team. I figured his loss would hurt our run game but I was looking back at past games he missed and we did fine without him so thus I think we made the right choice. Hoover doesnt really have any skills other than blocking and I think we could get someone with more versatility to replace him. I don't know if Fiammetta is going to be the answer but he was the #1 full back in the draft and the scouts seem to think he is the full package from this quote

Pick Analysis: Fiammetta was the best fullback in the draft. He is an excellent blocker yet he has rushing skills, as he was a running back coming out of high school. He also has excellent receiving skills. His blocking is not to be dismissed, though, and he really beefs up an already-powerful Panthers rushing attack.

Posted

Age and salary, NOT lack of productivity with re-occuring injury lead to Hoover's cut.

it's damn near impossible to definitively answer this without working in the FO, anything else is premature speculation.

Posted

I'm not a good example. My peer is my supervisor. And again, if the players are coaching, then why do we have coaches?

Coaches give the meat and veteran players provide the potatoes. While you might not be a good example, my tenured peers give me some finite details that my supervisor doesn't have the time for because he's busy running a company. Also, players and coaches don't tend to hang out with one another, players do. You would be shocked at the nuggets gleened when a setting is more casual.

Posted

it's damn near impossible to definitively answer this without working in the FO, anything else is premature speculation.

Okay, the argument to the contrary is premature specualtion then as well. Agreed, only the FO knows the real reason, but the trend lends to the premise.

Posted

I think you optimists are missing the elephant in the room. One of the worst injuries for a fullback is not back spasms but concussions. Their job is to act like a battering ram and charge headlong into the line trying to pile drive through the defense to create a hole. Can you tell me a worse position to have a guy who missed several games as a rookie with a concussion to play. Maybe middle linebacker. I have grave concerns that Fiametta doesn't make it through this year without a reoccurence. That leaves us nobody. Yeah I know that having a concussion is no guarantee of another but who is to say he hasn't had one in college already. Fiametta may be younger but he has not shown to be durable or reliable so far. Sometimes you go beyond cutting the fat and cut the meat as well. I think in this case we went too far in our zeal to save money.