Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An NFL scout comments on the draft experts

16 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

From PFT: Todd McShay backlash builds

The basics...

Todd McShay sucks and everybody hates him (heck, some would suggest even Mel Kiper hates him).

They used to hate Kiper ("Who in the hell is Mel Kiper Jr?" - Bill Tobin, then Colts GM) but they respect him now because he works his hair off and has earned it.

Mike Mayock is the best in the business.

Not sure how many here would remember the late Joel Buchsbaum, but he wrote Pro Football Weekly's draft coverage for years and was on target far more often than not. I'd crown him king of the draftniks, were he still alive. He died relatively young.

(occurs to me I perhaps should have put this in the draft forum)

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

i like mcshay better than kiper jr.

Kiper just has a face that pisses me off.

having said that though, I think they both suck at their jobs.

Posted · Report post

Kiper and McShay are both arrogant assholes... at least that's the way the come across on ESPN... and ESPN plays up their animosity... it's stupid.

Posted · Report post

mayock is only guy I would never doubt. All the other analysts just don't do enough homework to really have a respectable opinion.

Posted · Report post

My rankings:

1. Mayock

2. McShay, who I actually like

3. NFLDraftCountdown.com dude

84,826,861,081,728. Mel Kiper Jr.

My problem with Kiper is how little he studies the teams and their actual needs and compares that to their history, one example is the insistence that the Panthers were a dead lock to draft Greg Olsen while the rest if us knew there was a minimal, if any chance of that happening.

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

Here's the real question: if they're actually Draft experts then why are they working for ESPN instead of an NFL team?

Posted · Report post

mayock is only guy I would never doubt. All the other analysts just don't do enough homework to really have a respectable opinion.

Mayock said that Mendenhall and McFadden would both be better than Jonathan Stewart...Since then I have questioned him.

Posted · Report post

Mayock said that Mendenhall and McFadden would both be better than Jonathan Stewart...Since then I have questioned him.

I aslo liked the Fightin Illini more than J-Stew :idea:

In their behalf, their Olines sucks.

Posted · Report post

The thing that gives Mayock credibility in my mind is that he can explain at a very technical level why he likes or dislikes a particular prospect. Mayock clearly understands the nuts and bolts of what makes someone good or bad.

Posted · Report post

Well I'm sure he had good reasons for it. Its not like he was talking out of his ass.

Posted · Report post

In fairness, it's hard to judge anyone's talent when they play for the Raiders.

(except JaMarcus; fat and lazy doesn't work well in any system)

Posted · Report post

ManTits.jpg