Photo
- - - - -

Arabic man sues airport

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#16 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,311 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:51 PM

Not everyone feels comfortable wearing hoods n white robes...

#17 CosmoGirl

CosmoGirl

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

$240k? *goes to buy Arabi writing T and book flight cross-county*

#18 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

Face it: the guy is not "wrong" to wear a shirt with Arabic writing on it. It has nothing to do with someone wearing a shirt that says "I hate black people" in Harlem. If the shirt said, "Die Infidels!" on it you might make a case. It's not the guys fault others are ignorant and stupid, and that includes the airline people.

In most situations, I agree with you. Getting on an airplane, considering what happened to this country not so long ago, the circumstances change.

What if he had a t-shirt that said in English "I have a bomb"? Is it still freedome of speech? The lines are fuzzy here. The bottom line is an Arabic t-shirt does scare the poo out of other passengers. And if you're the airline, those passengers are your life blood.

#19 natty

natty

• HUDDLER
  • 4,775 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:22 PM

In most situations, I agree with you. Getting on an airplane, considering what happened to this country not so long ago, the circumstances change.

What if he had a t-shirt that said in English "I have a bomb"? Is it still freedome of speech? The lines are fuzzy here. The bottom line is an Arabic t-shirt does scare the sh*t out of other passengers. And if you're the airline, those passengers are your life blood.

Having a tee shirt that says I have a bomb is a completely different situation. What you are doing is gross, way over the board stereotyping.

Do ignorant people have the right to be worried about someone with Arabic on their shirt? Sure. Do ignorant people have the right to not let him board the plane without changing it? No.

#20 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 04:29 PM

Having a tee shirt that says I have a bomb is a completely different situation. What you are doing is gross, way over the board stereotyping.

Do ignorant people have the right to be worried about someone with Arabic on their shirt? Sure. Do ignorant people have the right to not let him board the plane without changing it? No.

The "ignorant people" aren't the ones not letting him on board. That would be the company that relies on those people, and needs to make them feel safe as it lifts them thousands of feet into the air in a tin can with wings.

This guy wasn't thrown in jail. He was simply told to put on a different shirt. Considering the fact we all have to take our shoes and jackets off, and have our luggage ripped apart because of what Arab terrorists did, I don't think it's nearly as bad as you liberals think it is.

#21 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,311 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:16 PM

As someone who flies, more than I like to, I couldnt give two shits about peoples tshirts. I am more worried about pilot fatigue and bitter mechanics.

#22 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• ALL-PRO
  • 23,757 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 05:22 PM

The "ignorant people" aren't the ones not letting him on board. That would be the company that relies on those people, and needs to make them feel safe as it lifts them thousands of feet into the air in a tin can with wings.

This guy wasn't thrown in jail. He was simply told to put on a different shirt. Considering the fact we all have to take our shoes and jackets off, and have our luggage ripped apart because of what Arab terrorists did, I don't think it's nearly as bad as you liberals think it is.

You are mixing up reasonable (well kinda) and legally mandated security procedures with a tshirt that i assume made it through the checkpoint just fine.

When people forbid white dudes driving U Hauls to come within a mile of federal buildings successfully, we can worry about t shirts.

#23 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 06 January 2009 - 06:26 PM

conservative nanny state.

#24 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,978 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:00 PM

The self righteousness is blinding. Whoa.
There is a reason they don't show movies with planes going down while on the plane. But it's only a movie so whats the big deal?
Ahh, because it makes people uncomfortable.
To those who say no biggie. Next time a dude is on the plane and is of Mid Eastern descent. If your not already see if you can switch seats with the person next to him.
On this board, you can say all you want about it being no big deal. But you will probably never admit but when a guy like the one this thread is about gets on YOUR plane, you take a gulp and do the oh man deal and hope its no big deal.
Sorry if this guy was offended. But the hijackers had no issues getting on their plane.
The world has a different context to it. Blame those guys for the over reaction to a hip t shirt.

#25 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 24,311 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:05 PM

Again...I fear pilot fatigue more. Anyone who flies more than once a year pry wouldnt give this guy 2 looks...he made it through security I'm not worried. He aint hijacking poo with a tshirt. Call it self righteous I call it sanity.

#26 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:08 PM

There is a reason they don't show movies with planes going down while on the plane. But it's only a movie so whats the big deal?
To those who say no biggie. Next time a dude is on the plane and is of Mid Eastern descent. If your not already see if you can switch seats with the person next to him.
On this board, you can say all you want about it being no big deal. But you will probably never admit but when a guy like the one this thread is about gets on YOUR plane, you take a gulp and do the oh man deal and hope its no big deal.
Sorry if this guy was offended. But the hijackers had no issues getting on their plane.
The world has a different context to it. Blame those guys for the over reaction to a hip t shirt.

Finally a voice of reason. Thank you.

#27 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,978 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:35 PM

Again...I fear pilot fatigue more. Anyone who flies more than once a year pry wouldnt give this guy 2 looks...he made it through security I'm not worried. He aint hijacking sh*t with a tshirt. Call it self righteous I call it sanity.

Naw, I'm with ya but with a tiny however, the t-shirt is a non issue. The sanity part also goes with the airlines keeping the fliers coming back.
Too many get spooked and there ya go.
To make it past security with anything on you wrong nowadays is near impossible. James Bond maybe gets by now.

#28 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,005 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:16 PM

so where's the line? if not allowing someone on a plane because they're wearing a t-shirt in a different language is reasonable then what isn't reasonable?

#29 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 21,978 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:35 PM

If he was able to go thru the Express line withOUT being checked out, I have a problem.
The only line should be at security.

#30 robtrox0

robtrox0

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 09:08 PM

I remember in high school i wore a shirt that had calvin and hobbes acting drunk and saying something funny and was asked to go home and put a diff shirt on.. airport or school or anywhere public people are too senstive.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com