• Please log in to reply
214 replies to this topic

#46 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,942 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

Carr's issue was he was beaten to a pulp behind a porous line for years and was gun shy. Most felt time on the bench in Carolina would be a big help to his psyche and on field play.
Campbell's issue has been he's been in a bad situation with multiple coordinators for years in DC. What he could do in a better environment remains to be seen. Campbell has more upside now than Carr did then me thinks.

and dating back to his days at Auburn as well.

#47 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,699 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:04 AM

I don't see Campbell being moved for a 4th much less a 5th.

#48 uncpanther

uncpanther

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:05 AM

This will never happen. Panthers will pick up a vet or late round draft pick for the QB position. My bet is on a vet that gets cut after the draft.

#49 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

• Banned
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

They've got Brennan waiting in the wings, and could very well want to wash their hands of Campbell for whatever they can get...

#50 PhillyB

PhillyB

that jungle football

• ALL-PRO
  • 20,452 posts
  • Locationthird spur east of the sun

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:07 AM

You don't trade for Campbell to make him a backup. This will be a disaster with half of Panthers fans wanting Moore to start and the other wanting Campbell to start. The first bad game that Moore has, the calls for Campbell to start will become overwhelming even faster than Moore over Delhomme last year. The talent level and age between Moore and Campbell is very similar and that's not what you want when a guy is finally getting a chance to start.

yes lets assume the front office will make decisions based on what quarterback the fans want. the organization has clearly operated this way in the past.

#51 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,718 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:07 AM

I don't see Campbell being moved for a 4th much less a 5th.

Not if the interest by multiple teams is legit.

The Panthers pretty much never take part in bidding wars.

#52 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

• Banned
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:17 AM

Not if the interest by multiple teams is legit.

The Panthers pretty much never take part in bidding wars.

This... would be the only reason I'd legitimately count us out...

Buffalo has more to offer than we do, and I'd bet they are the front-runner... with Jacksonville being a dark horse (I still say they want The Golden Calf of Bristol bad)...

#53 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,718 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

This... would be the only reason I'd legitimately count us out...

Buffalo has more to offer than we do, and I'd bet they are the front-runner... with Jacksonville being a dark horse (I still say they want The Golden Calf of Bristol bad)...

A lot of people say that about the Jags.

Of course, a lot of people thought we'd trade up to get Matt Ryan too.

This time of year, it's difficult to impossible to know what to believe.

#54 KillerKat

KillerKat

Top Banana

• HUDDLER
  • 19,022 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:31 AM

Carr didn't improve each year he was in the league. He actually declined a little bit his final 2 years at houston. Meanwhile Campbell has improved in alot of areas since being in the league. Completion percentage, Touchdowns, Yards, QB rating. I want to keep repeating this because alot of the same people are still comparing the two when there is no comparison. And also Campbell >>> McCown. McCown only wishes he had a career with Campbell's numbers. Yeah McCown was with some sucky teams, but Campbell was with a sucky Redskins team his whole career and a terrible o-line.

Why do people want a veteran backup QB that can't play or help if Moore goes down (McCown)? Didn't we just get rid of one QB like that? And acquiring Campbell has nothing to do with lack of confidence in Moore. We're just trying to improve our team in case Moore goes down or (which is very unlikely) he blows up in our faces. If Moore's confidence is so fragile that it'll hurt him if we brought in Campbell, then he really doesn't deserve to be a QB in this league. He should see we're only making moves to help our team and that he's our guy. You can look at it this way, competition brings out the best in people and Moore is a competitor. If anything, the competition will make him better!

And as far as the comment about we wouldn't keep Campbell on the bench if we traded for him...If we traded a 4th for him, that'll be like us drafting a young QB thats going to be sitting on the bench anyway. Why not get someone thats better than any other QB in the draft right now and is ready to play if the starter should go down? Besides we may still draft another one later in the draft for the 3rd spot depending how many picks we get if we move around.

#55 TyHillPanthers

TyHillPanthers

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

Has Campbell even signed the tender yet?? Also, theres no way the Skins will get a 1st on him which could result in a release unless they come down on the tag. They have 4 QBs. Campbell is gone and to us I hope.

#56 Pumpkin King

Pumpkin King

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:37 AM

Campbell is a good QB. I'd love for the Panthers to get him.

#57 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 39,718 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

Carr didn't improve each year he was in the league. He actually declined a little bit his final 2 years at houston. Meanwhile Campbell has improved in alot of areas since being in the league. Completion percentage, Touchdowns, Yards, QB rating. I want to keep repeating this because alot of the same people are still comparing the two when there is no comparison. And also Campbell >>> McCown. McCown only wishes he had a career with Campbell's numbers. Yeah McCown was with some sucky teams, but Campbell was with a sucky Redskins team his whole career and a terrible o-line.

Why do people want a veteran backup QB that can't play or help if Moore goes down (McCown)? Didn't we just get rid of one QB like that? And acquiring Campbell has nothing to do with lack of confidence in Moore. We're just trying to improve our team in case Moore goes down or (which is very unlikely) he blows up in our faces. If Moore's confidence is so fragile that it'll hurt him if we brought in Campbell, then he really doesn't deserve to be a QB in this league. He should see we're only making moves to help our team and that he's our guy. Competition brings out the best in people and Moore is a competitor. If anything, the competition will make him better!

And as far as the comment about we wouldn't keep Campbell on the bench if we traded for him...If we traded a 4th for him, that'll be like us drafting a young QB thats going to be sitting on the bench anyway. Why not get someone thats better than any other QB in the draft right now and is ready to play if the starter should go down? Besides we may still draft another one later in the draft for the 3rd spot depending how many picks we get if we move around.

Hate to tell you, but you and Gantt are in agreement on this one.

Mentioned previously in this thread that last season was the second worst in both TD/Int ratio and Ints per attempt; also tied with worst for number of fumbles (13, that's almost one per game). He's certainly not improving in all his stats, and turnover were what got Jake Delhomme his ticket out of here.

What they want for Moore (besides a steady, reliable backup) is a guy who can act as a mentor. Something of an "assistant quarterback coach".

Do you really think Jason Campbell can play that role?

Plus, as said above, if there really are five teams wanting him, I don't see him going for just a 4th or 5th.

#58 STIFFPAWED

STIFFPAWED

Streakin The Quad

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

Posted Image

#59 SOJA

SOJA

Official Panthers Fan

• HUDDLER
  • 9,839 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:43 AM

A fourth rounder for Campbell? That's too much- in fact I'd rather take LeFevour or Pike in the fourth round over trading that away.
Now if they would trade us Orakapo and Campbell for our next years first and a fourth I'd be very pleased :)
(*Note to all the idiots out there, this isn't going to happen)

#60 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,157 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 11:45 AM

Well, we need to find someone with starting experience as a backup to Moore, and I think Campbell may have allot of untapped potential, so I would support going after him as long as the compensation was reasonable.

My biggest concern is that Campbell is damaged goods at this point. Not sure how much confidence he has left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com