Photo
- - - - -

Tanking the season

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
164 replies to this topic

#25 cookinbrak

cookinbrak

tastes like chicken...

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

As has been mentioned, John Fox needs to win this season to save his job (or get a different one). Some suggest it's over his head, but nowhere has he given the slightest indication that he isn't on board with the current plan. And really, do you honestly think Jerry Richardson would throw a whole season down the toilet just to get rid of a coach he could just fire if he so desired?

Is Fox just gonna quit? If he quits, he voids his contract. Maybe the coach JR wants said he wants to see how the lockout goes.

As far as the players you listed....

Peppers- yes, he was not worth franchising again. But it's still up in the air as to how hard they tried to resign him to a long term contract. And before it gets said, "league sources tell me" is gossip. Facts are facts. Remember Phillip Rivers contract dispute? The team owner and GM said he could make a ton of bonuses- the small print said he had to win the next 5 Super Bowls to do so. It's just a case of "he said, she said", and it's over.

Jake- nobody questions the fact that he shouldn't be the starter. Let Moore play, if we want to "get younger". The fact that his contract was written with no escape clause is inexcusable, and the fact that whoever came up with that contract still has a job is even more inexcusable. He was cut so he could maybe land a starters job somewhere else, and we eat 12 million dollars. So, any time the "save money, smart business, etc" comes up, look back at the money we're paying Jake to play in Cleveland.

Hoover- wasn't costing that much, and Fiammetta isn't very good. The only hope we have is if Rosario can play more of an H-back, and he can block.

While you're at it, commiserate with the Eagle fans, because apparently their owner has decided to tank the season too

No. They are at least picking up draft picks by trading players. Our team will be filled with "compensatory picks and UFAs".

#26 panther4life

panther4life

HUDDLER

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:09 AM

Foxy knows if he sticks out this year....gets to about 7-9 w/ this roster....he will have no problem finding a job after the lockout. It would be no sense for Foxy to just leave b/c he knows Carolina isn't going to bring him back after this season.

ok since your so sold on the fact that fox is just a lameduck coach along for the ride this year, who's calling the shots in the draft this year, Jerry Richardson??Are they gonna lock him out of the war room? I've noticed your discontent for the defensive line, does that mean they force him to draft a whole new d-line this year? how do you see our draft going this year?

#27 CRA

CRA

Moderators

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:10 AM

John Fox may very well being on the hot seat but its far from a forgone conclusion that he'll be fired.

yeah, if he wins w/ a roster he isn't suppose to win with...... I guess could save his job. Life won't be made easy for Fox to do that.....it is called rebuilding for a reason.

#28 Zcustom

Zcustom

The Irish Hammer

HUDDLER

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

lol @ being dead wrong and ignoring the facts

#29 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:14 AM

What exactly do you think he would say if it were happening to him? I'm not convinced one way or the other. He might be just willing to take the high road and if he has any sucess this year he can scream to the rooftops of how ownership was digging a hole under him and he still did well. Like the media did that year all those guys went on IR and we still almost made the playoffs how much credit he got for that coaching job. It'd look pretty good on a resume to turn what most perceive the talent on this team to win 8 or 9 games.

He was given the chance to seek other options, but it didn't happen.

In the end, I think Richardson and Fox probably had their moment of "ready for a change" but ended up just deciding to give it one last run and make the best of it. This may be Fox's last chance, but I believe Richardson is going to be smart and give him a legitimate chance.

That's not to say the team isn't also setting itself up for the future. Any smart team would. I just see the notion that they're willing to sacrifice this season in order to do it as laughable.

If any of the local guys have signed on to that notion, I haven't seen it. The only journalists who seem to take it seriously are the national guys (who generally don't have much insight into how the Panthers work anyway).

#30 The Saltman

The Saltman

I am always watching so make sure you keep your clothes on

Moderators

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:15 AM

and the pat kirwan love fest for john fox.

#31 panther4life

panther4life

HUDDLER

yeah, if he wins w/ a roster he isn't suppose to win with...... I guess could save his job. Life won't be made easy for Fox to do that.....it is called rebuilding for a reason.

I think your failing to understand the whole John Fox/ Marty Hurney philosphy of building thru the draft and filling in the missing pieces with vets that come at a reasonable enough price for us to keep our core intact. What moves made this offseason lead you to believe that were not focused on winning this year. It is possible to prepare for a sucessful future without tanking a season

#32 Boltergeist

Boltergeist

you can't spell Mayock without MC

HUDDLER

National media perception of your 2010 season

Posted Image

#33 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:19 AM

I think your failing to understand the whole John Fox/ Marty Hurney philosphy of building thru the draft and filling in the missing pieces with vets that come at a reasonable enough price for us to keep our core intact. What moves made this offseason lead you to believe that were not focused on winning this year. It is possible to prepare for a sucessful future without tanking a season

Pretty much.

#34 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

HUDDLER

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:29 AM

He was given the chance to seek other options, but it didn't happen.

In the end, I think Richardson and Fox probably had their moment of "ready for a change" but ended up just deciding to give it one last run and make the best of it. This may be Fox's last chance, but I believe Richardson is going to be smart and give him a legitimate chance.

That's not to say the team isn't also setting itself up for the future. Any smart team would. I just see the notion that they're willing to sacrifice this season in order to do it as laughable.

If any of the local guys have signed on to that notion, I haven't seen it. The only journalists who seem to take it seriously are the national guys (who generally don't have much insight into how the Panthers work anyway).

I guess it depends on what definition of sacrifice. I mean I don't see us trading our 2nd for a 1st next year or anything crazy but I also don't think JR has given them the complete control they used to have. I think Fox would have pursued Alex Brown or some vet more heavily. We haven't heard about a single interview or any real interest even.

I know we are going young and everything but what in Fox's history would suggest he would do something like this? Some people will say that people change but in reality they don't and Fox is even more stubborn then most people. It takes a stubborn man to put up with Jakes play for that long.

#35 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:36 AM

I know we are going young and everything but what in Fox's history would suggest he would do something like this? Some people will say that people change but in reality they don't and Fox is even more stubborn then most people. It takes a stubborn man to put up with Jakes play for that long.

The 2007 offseason. We signed, literally, almost nobody but David Carr. And it wasn't like 2006 was a stellar year.

This offseason approach really isn't that different from prior years. They just have the opportunity to do more at once because there are no cap ramifications.

#36 Guest_silver82blade_*

Guest_silver82blade_*
Guests

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:43 AM

Not franchising Julius Peppers: Done so as not to tie up a boatload of money inone player who didn't want to be here anyway

And seriously, looking at this list, outside of perhaps Peppers, is there really anybody on here that you can look at in their current condition and say with any credibility "boy it sure will be a lot tougher to win without them"?

if i'm not remembering incorrectly, i think chicago's deal with peppers was to pay him a huge chunk next year when there was no salary cap, and pay him a lot less the subsequent years. why couldn't we have structured his deal like that? peppers said he wanted a deal with carolina but carolina never contacted him after the season. are you saying he was lying and didn't want to be here?

i think it may be difficult to win without ma'ake. we only have one defensive tackle big enough to be considered a run stuffer. if he goes down, or under performs, we may have as much trouble stopping the run as last year before we signed hollis thomas.