#1 Phinisher

Phinisher

The Huddles Reckoning

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationRain Tree

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:45 PM

I just finished up my draft in my teams message board GM League. I took over the Panthers. Keep in mind this gm league i made trades, so the draft picks arent the same numbers as the real world panthers. But anyways Here is my draft run down.

1st pick-Round 2 (pick 40)- Tight End Aaron Hernandez, University of Florida

PRO DAY RESULTS: TE Aaron Hernandez ran 4.58 in the 40. He did 30 reps at 225 and ran good routes and caught the ball like a wide receiver

2nd pick-Round 3 (pick 80)- OLB Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State University

Ohio State hybrid pass rusher Thaddeus Gibson is determined to prove that he'll make a smooth transition as a full-time outside linebacker in the NFL.

According to league sources, Gibson is expected to be drafted as high as the second round.

Gibson primarily played defensive end at Ohio State, but the 6-foot-2, 243-pounder played linebacker in high school.

Last season, he was named second-team All-Big Ten Conference as he led the Buckeyes with 13 tackles for losses and ranked second on the team with four sacks.

He also forced two fumbles, recovered two fumbles and intercepted one pass.

The Pittsburgh Steelers displayed a lot of interest in Gibson at his Pro Day workout where he ran the 40-yard dash in the low 4.6 range. Steelers vice president of football operations Kevin Colbert and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau attended the workout.

Gibson is looking forward to playing linebacker in the NFL.

3rd pick-Round 4 (pick 102) WR Jacoby Ford, Clemson

Ford was a standout receiver who posted a 4.28 second time in the 40-yard dash. Spiller, the ACC player of the year, ran a 4.37. Carolina Panthers coach John Fox was among those attending the session.

4th pick-Round 5 (pick 136) QB Jarrett Brown, WVU

West Virginia quarterback Jarrett Brown told the media that no other quarterback could out-throw him at the NFL Scouting Combine earlier in the week and thus far, he has been correct.

With so many eyes on Cincinnati quarterback Tony Pike, Brown has been the impressive one so far in the various throwing drills in Indianapolis.

Brown's measurements have him standing at 6'2.875" and 224 pounds which is a very good for the current "standard" for NFL quarterbacks.

His hands were the second biggest at 10" and is very important when it comes to the grip on the ball when throwing.

Also, Brown ran an unofficial 40-yard dash time of 4.53, which is the fastest time among all quarterbacks.

5th pick-Round 5 (pick 158) DE George Selvie, University of South Florida

DE George Selvie got a lot of attention from opposing blockers in the last two years, so his statistics were not as gaudy as they were in his sophomore season, when he had 14.5 sacks. But he is still considered a top-10 prospect at his position.

6th pick-Round 6 (pick 168) C Greg Olsen, Notre Dame

Pass blocking: Strong anchor and good knee bend. Can mirror after initial contact against tackles. Likes to punch defenders when helping guards, knocking them to the ground at times. Keeps his man on the ground once he falls. Struggles with quickness and recovery, reaching and bending at the waist to pick up late blitzers and twists. Accurate shotgun snap with his head up facing the line. Sells run block fake on bootlegs.

Run blocking: Good drive blocker who pushes his man downfield. Keeps feet moving after first contact but will overextend and lacks flexibility to sustain against slippery quicker defenders. Also strong enough to turn his man out of the hole. Stays on first block too long at times, allowing linebackers to penetrate before he can get to them.

Pulling/trapping: Foot speed and change of direction abilities are not elite and has a bit of extra weight in the middle, but gives good effort to get around the line when pulling or trapping in front of run plays. Best when hitting stationery targets; will miss adjusting to oncoming defenders.

Initial Quickness: Gets hands up quickly into his man's jersey after the snap, even when man-up against nose tackles. Good initial punch, but it's not enough to knock his man back.

Downfield: A bit heavy-footed moving to the linebackers, but almost always finds a target to hit. Will go after two, three or four players downfield, playing through the whistle. Effective cut blocker downfield.

Intangibles: Charlie Weis called Olsen the line's "heart and soul." Durable lineman who fights through pain. Smart enough to make line calls. Plays with a nasty streak - knows his toughest opponent and goes after him all game long.

7th pick-Round 6 (pick 173) FS Terrell Skinner, Maryland

Skinner was a two year starter at free safety for the Maryland Terrapins. Besides Virginia Tech’s Kam Chancellor, Skinner may have the best physical statue of any defensive back in the ACC. With a wing span of 6’9” and a vertical leap of 36 inches, along with a great work ethic, Skinner may find himself being the next Gerald Sensabaugh of this year’s draft class.

8th pick-Round 6 (pick 182) WR Chris McGaha, Arizona State

Release: Good, quick hands and lateral agility to escape the jam. Has sneaky deep speed because he knows how to vary his speed and trick defenders with shoulder fakes, but lacks true deep speed. He'll struggle getting savvy pro corners out of his hip pocket.

Hands: Best attribute might be his body control and hands. Can contort his body in space to make the acrobatic reception. Knows where the sidelines are and shows good balance and agility to drag his feet. Snatches the ball out of the air and can catch outside of his frame. Willing to take the big hit and has the strength to hang on to the ball.

Route running: Precise route-runner. Can sink his hips and shows some burst out of his breaks to gain separation on more athletic cornerbacks. Not a true speed demon, but has sneaky build-up speed and will vary his running to burst by the unsuspecting cornerback. Among the better third-down options in the country due to his route-running, secure hands and high effort after the catch.

After the catch: Fights hard for additional yardage after the reception, but doesn't break enough tackles and isn't so elusive or fast as to scare opponents. Limited top-end speed and isn't a true playmaker, despite his reputation.

Blocking: Provides good effort as a blocker at the line of scrimmage. Sells the fake and can put a pop on the defender. Good effort downfield. Looks for ways to get involved if a teammate breaks into the open.

Intangibles: Overachiever type who plays hard all the time. Struggled with a toe injury as a junior that ultimately required surgery. Highly-touted prep prospect with a litany of prep accolades, including earning the Arizona Cardinals' High School Player of the Year award in 2004.

ok so, peppers is gone, but i traded for patrick kerney...thats the reason for taking a DE late in the draft. I took a young qb with alot of upside in jarrett brown. I got a very speedy WR to compliment Smitty in ford.....Aaron Hernandez is a monster of a recieving tight end....he would be a young qbs best friend taking away a safety and a linebacker running deep down the seems, leaving ford or smith one on one across the middle or deep. I traded away ryan kalil so the olsen pick later makes sense.

I like the Thaddeus Gibson pick because hes a hybrid and could play olb or DE in a 4-3. so thats a good young kid to have to replace peppers if needed. Terrell Skinner from maryland is a project FS but hes a player, so he could benefit from playing behind godfrey. I know your wondering "no corners?!"

well i signed dunta robinson in free agency and traded a 6th round pick for ronde barber for veteran depth, and traded for tyrone wheatley from the patriots who was a 2nd round pick 2 years ago.

Chris Mcgaha is a good slot wr from asu. he would fit in well with the team imo.

so heres the run down short version.

8 picks.....

• TE Aaron Hernandez
  • OLB Thaddeus Gibson
  • WR Jacoby Ford
  • QB Jarrett Brown
  • DE George Selvie
  • C Greg Olsen
  • FS Terrell Skinner
  • WR Chris Mcgaha

Whatcha Think?

#2 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:50 PM

God bless it... not another one of these threads...

Just kidding. I'm surprised at your picks, honestly. TE? Do we really need another? OLB? I would probably grab one in the 4th or 5th while grabbing a WR or two before.

But, interesting none-the-less.

#3 Phinisher

Phinisher

The Huddles Reckoning

• HUDDLER
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationRain Tree

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:54 PM

God bless it... not another one of these threads...

Just kidding. I'm surprised at your picks, honestly. TE? Do we really need another? OLB? I would probably grab one in the 4th or 5th while grabbing a WR or two before.

But, interesting none-the-less.

i had donte rosario on my roster thats it. i had no WRs available in the 2nd worth the pick, so a TE that is almost a WR was the best i could do.

#4 DirtyMagic97

DirtyMagic97

YNWA

• ALL-PRO
  • 6,301 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 09:58 PM

I like Selvie in the 5th. If we get him there, I think he could be an solid player once day.

#5 Smitty Is Our Savior

Smitty Is Our Savior

Jesus Shuttlesworth

• HUDDLER
  • 5,794 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:30 PM

Everything after the first 2 are great. But a TE and OLB as the first 2 picks?? I'd like to go D Line on one and WR on the other.

#6 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,301 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 11 April 2010 - 01:58 AM

I am sorry this is a lousy prediction.

TE??? That is such a waste of a pick.
OLB we have Connor and Anderson waiting to fight for that spot. No OLB in the second round is gonna overtake either one of these guys. You don't address our most glaring need until the 4th round. Most 4th rounders are mediocre at best. Perennial Special teams players at best. You don't address DT at all. Probably our second most glaring need.
QB you selected doesn't have much of an upside other than he had the strongest arm of the group? Though interesting prospect we already have a QB like him in Cantwell. If we are going to have a project might as well keep going with Cantwell.

The other picks we can take or leave. I believe in the latter rounds though when we draft OLINE we draft versatile players. G/C type players.

Sorry just not overly impressed.

#7 mario

mario

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:22 AM

Kyle Williams >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chris McGaha :yesnod:

#8 CarolinaPanthers8789

CarolinaPanthers8789

Alexander SEMIN!!! FTW

• HUDDLER
  • 23,667 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina/Virginia

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:23 AM

We don't have 5th.

#9 mario

mario

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:33 AM

We don't have 5th.

Keep in mind this gm league i made trades, so the draft picks arent the same numbers as the real world panthers

#10 Phinisher

Phinisher

The Huddles Reckoning

• HUDDLER
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationRain Tree

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:45 AM

oh yeah.....the defensive tackle position. didnt clarify i franchise tagged peppers then traded him for tyson jackson (last years 4th overall pick) a 3rd round pick, dajuan morgan, and willis mcgahee (i needed him to backup DWIll sense i trded stewart)

so my front 4 consisted of everette brown, kemo, tyson jackson and patrick kerney. thats the reason i didnt go after a DT.

#11 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:21 AM

oh yeah.....the defensive tackle position. didnt clarify i franchise tagged peppers then traded him for tyson jackson (last years 4th overall pick) a 3rd round pick, dajuan morgan, and willis mcgahee (i needed him to backup DWIll sense i trded stewart)

so my front 4 consisted of everette brown, kemo, tyson jackson and patrick kerney. thats the reason i didnt go after a DT.

What happened to Barnidge and King? If you traded them I hope you got good compensation because they are actually pretty good TE's. Which is why we would never trade them, there value to us far exceds there value to another team. I personally would have trade Rosario and kept those two.

Even if it were still just Rosario I still wouldn't pick a TE in the 2nd. Otherwise not bad.

#12 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,829 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

hernandez is more of a WR than a TE. Think of a diesel Moose. I like the pick.

#13 Phinisher

Phinisher

The Huddles Reckoning

• HUDDLER
  • 2,294 posts
  • LocationRain Tree

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

exactly my thinking.

#14 DynastyRTR

DynastyRTR

newnfldraft.com writer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

this. he reminds me of Vincent Jackson besides not being 6-5.

#15 DynastyRTR

DynastyRTR

newnfldraft.com writer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:13 AM

post your enitire roster

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com