Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Landscaping

83 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

Any idea how much a landscaper costs? I've got three small planting areas around my back patio. I really want them spruced up a bit. In one of the beds, I've got two bushes that have gotten too big, although I do trim them back but they're bigger than I want now so I'd like them dug up and moved to my front yard.

One of the other beds has so huge hostas that I've had for about 10 years in there. I want them dug up and separated into 2 per plant. Also, a former roommate had planted some climbing vine that was supposed to flower but it never did. I dug it up a couple of years ago but apparently didn't get it all because it keeps coming back. So I want it out of there.

In the third area, there's nothing really there anymore but there's too much dirt (aka nasty red mud) and I'd like it taken out and some better soil put in.

If I could get those things done, then I could plant what I wanted.

How much do you think a landscaper would cost for doing that? Or if anyone needs some extra money, is anyone interested in doing it for me?

Posted · Report post

I thought this was about somethng entirely different, I don't know much about this.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='cookinwithgas']I thought this was about somethng entirely different, I don't know much about this.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I was going to volunteer, then I read the whole post.

Posted · Report post

lol...

well, since there are no volunteers.. I'll come and help.. pour a few drinks and we'll both watch the landscaper together.

Posted · Report post

Got to find one first!

Posted · Report post

I heard its pretty cheap if you get off your lazy ass and do it yourself....

I could be wrong, but I think people have been doing it for years that way...

Just a hunch...

Posted · Report post

Yeah, thats not a big enough space to require a landscaper. Just stock up at the nursery and do it yourself on a weekend.

Posted · Report post

That wasn't the question. I don't have the strength, tools, or know-how. I've already attempted a couple of times and don't intend to do it again. There are some things I'd rather pay someone to do. This is one of them.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='AKPantherFan']I heard its pretty cheap if you get off your lazy ass and do it yourself....

Just a hunch...[/QUOTE]

That's fairly judgmental coming from a government employee

Posted · Report post

I'll do it.

How much will you pay me an hour?

Posted · Report post

[quote name='AKPantherFan']I heard its pretty cheap if you get off your lazy ass and do it yourself....

Just a hunch...[/QUOTE]

LOL ak is still bitter because women laughed at his stupid posts in the electro thread.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='SmootsDaddy89']LOL ak is still bitter because women laughed at his stupid posts in the electro thread.[/QUOTE]

He should make a banner about it

Posted · Report post

It's free if you can get Holmes on Homes to come to your house and let HGTV film it.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CosmoGirl']In one of the beds, I've got two bushes that have gotten too big,

[/QUOTE]

this is definitely a problem

Posted · Report post

SmootsDaddy - how much do you want to do it?

Posted · Report post

I'm his agent so you can negotiate with me.

$245 an hour plus catered lunch. 40 hour minimum. And he won't work if it's over 75 degrees.

Posted · Report post

Cos...I'll do it for a fraction of that if you pay my way out there and you feed me food and beverages!

plus...I get to pick your wardrobe for the duration of my stay!!!!

Posted · Report post

Cosmo where do you live? I didn't think you'd really want me to, but I could definitely use the money. But driving three hours to Charlotte for a weekend and then back probably would have me breaking even at best.

Posted · Report post

There are alot of Mexicans out of work right now. My Brother in law went down to the Latino section of town and picked up two guys, paid them $100 each for the day. He said that they did a fantastic job to his backyard. Alot of those guys are out of work and need the money. They are professionals, and as long as you find one that can speak some English, it would be easy to get them to do what you want.

Posted · Report post

Go to the Wendover Home Depot. There are workers there every morning lined up looking to do a day's work.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='HotSauce..']There are alot of Mexicans out of work right now. My Brother in law went down to the Latino section of town and picked up two guys, paid them $100 each for the day. He said that they did a fantastic job to his backyard. Alot of those guys are out of work and need the money. They are professionals, and as long as you find one that can speak some English, it would be easy to get them to do what you want.[/QUOTE]

They'll also read a book and write an essay on it for you.

Posted · Report post

Bummer, Smoots. I'm in Cornelius. I forgot that you aren't local.

As for the MX workers, no way would I put them in my car to get them to the house. I had considered that but it doesn't work logistically.

Posted · Report post

[quote name='CosmoGirl']That wasn't the question. I don't have the strength, tools, or know-how. I've already attempted a couple of times and don't intend to do it again. There are some things I'd rather pay someone to do. This is one of them.[/QUOTE]

Dont you hate when people answer questions that way??

Hell i dont mow my own yard. I pay someone to do it. Shoot me.

Posted · Report post

I love landscaping, at least in my own yard. I have had 2 people from my neighborhood stop and ask me just this weekend what I would charge to do their yard because they see me outside all the time working on my yard and like what I have done over the last couple of years. I honestly just don't have time to consider it really.

Cosmo, I would recommmend just calling 3-4 companies and having them come give you an estimate. You should probably do it soon though because most places are in there busy time right now and it might be a bit before they could come out. Transplanting the shrubs and hostas becomes more risky the later in the spring it gets because the hot weather and transplanting do not mix. I am no expert but I think hostas should be split in early spring before they start growing and transplanting shrubs/bushes should be done in the fall.

Posted · Report post

Mexicanos, and Hotsauce's prices are way overpriced. $40/day, $80/day for English speakers.