119 replies to this topic

#1 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

I don't think he is above the law and from what I've read there is definitely some questionable activity on his part that should be investigated. I do find it a bit annoying that staunch atheist are pushing the issue but then again who else is going to do it? To take someone as powerful as the Pope down it's going to need some big name non affiliated people to back.

Interested to hear you take.

http://www.nytimes.c...ope-arrest.html

LONDON (Reuters) - British author and atheist campaigner Richard Dawkins will try to have Pope Benedict arrested to face questions over the Catholic church's child abuse scandal when he visits Britain later this year, one of his lawyers said Sunday.

Dawkins, a scientist and outspoken critic of religion, has asked human rights lawyers to examine whether charges could be brought against the pope.

The four-day trip, from September 16 to 19, will be the first papal visit since Pope John Paul II's pastoral visit in 1982 and is the first official papal visit to Britain.

The Catholic church has rejected claims the pope helped to cover up abuse by priests and the Vatican has accused the media of waging a "despicable campaign of defamation" against him.

Dawkins and the English journalist Christopher Hitchens have commissioned lawyers Geoffrey Robertson and Mark Stephens to explore ways of taking legal action against the pope.

In an email to Reuters, Stephens said there are three possible approaches: a complaint to the International Criminal Court in the Netherlands, a private or public prosecution "for crimes against humanity" or a civil case.

They will argue that the pope does not have diplomatic immunity from prosecution as a head of state because the Vatican has "permanent observer status" at the United Nations rather than full membership and voting rights.

#2 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,644 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:00 AM

Who has the authority to arrest him? Vatican city is a sovereign state and extradition is impossible.

#3 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:01 AM

I think Dawkins would be foolish to challenge the most powerful unified religious force in the world like this.

Jase,

If the Pope is in Britain then British authorities COULD arrest him. Whether they will or not is another question.

#4 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • 32,733 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:01 AM

If there is proof that he acted willfully to cover up known crimes (or committed them), then yes he should be punished, but by who?

#5 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:02 AM

When he visits the UK.

They will argue that the pope does not have diplomatic immunity from prosecution as a head of state because the Vatican has "permanent observer status" at the United Nations rather than full membership and voting rights.

#6 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 10,075 posts

This will be interesting, but legally they don't have much leeway here.

#7 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,644 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

This is a hell of a publicity stunt if he can pull it off.

#8 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

• HUDDLER
  • 10,075 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

If UK authorities arrest the Pope, it would be a poostorm. Domestically and internationally. They won't do it.

#9 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,494 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:04 AM

This is an atheist's wet dream.

#10 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:04 AM

This is a hell of a publicity stunt if he can pull it off.

yeah that's the part I don't like about it but then if the Pope deserves to be arrested and it's the right thing to do then anyone attempting to arrest him will be accused of pulling a publicity stunt.

#11 Jase

Jase

Kuechold Fantasies

• Administrators
  • 16,644 posts
  • LocationMatthews, NC

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:05 AM

When he visits the UK.

Sounds like an act of war... can't wait to see what kind of secret dark army of winged demons the vatican has.

#12 Carolina Husker

Carolina Husker

I hate football

• HUDDLER
  • 10,493 posts

I wish we still had Abu Ghraib so we could send him there.

#13 The Saltman

The Saltman

I have Returned

• Moderators
  • 24,882 posts

Skin Him

#14 g5jamz

g5jamz

Is back

• HUDDLER
  • 18,304 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

Who'd the Pope molest?

#15 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

• HUDDLER
  • 8,163 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 10:08 AM

Who'd the Pope molest?

This is the problem with getting all your news from Fox ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.