Photo
- - - - -

Should the Pope be arrested?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
119 replies to this topic

#106 Panther'sBigD

Panther'sBigD

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:15 PM

age of consent in nc is 16

also i plead the fif.

1, 2, 3, 4, fif!

#107 SmootsDaddy89

SmootsDaddy89

Just Say No To Boo

SUPPORTER

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:17 PM

Nothing wrong with 16, if there's grass on the field, play ball!

That's my line of thinking. I mean, if a high school junior or senior is going to a college party, she's at least partially wanting to get with some college guys amirite?

Scooping up girls at your local high school is creepy though.

#108 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

MFCEO

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:19 PM

His punishment should be the most common punishment the catholic church has handed down over the centuries for a serious crime.

Anyone have some kindling?

#109 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:22 PM

If you are using one individually, that is to say without being surrounded by other men also using pikes and shields, then having the shield would hinder you and make you an easy kill for an opponent with a shorter weapon.

I may not be the sharpest block of cheddar in the fridge, but I'll put my .40 up against his pike every day of the week. :lol:

#110 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

HUDDLER

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:42 PM

He we go again...diverting the blame to another person or thing. Never mind the person/s who actually committed the crimes.

"It was the system that made them do it!" GAFB!

#111 rodeo

rodeo

Keelah se'lai

HUDDLER

Posted 13 April 2010 - 03:34 PM

first they said that people attacking pedophilia are like anti-semites. then they tried to change the subject to gays.

the church wants to talk about anyone but the church.

#112 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

HUDDLER

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

Well, this atheist takes no joy or "wet dream" from the priest molestation scandal.

I find it deplorable, and morally reprehensible. Any person in a position of power and influence over children in what many consider the "safe haven" of religion in an otherwise "sinful" world should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Instead we had institutionalized cover-up. Rather than contacting authorities, the church just buried these guys or played the shell game, allowing them to molest again.

Awful.

This is a bit of grandstanding on the part of Dawkins.....but I get his point.

Would anybody else receive the protection that many priests and (if true) this Pope is receiving? Congregations early on summarily dismissed accusers. Ran them out. Called them liars. Oops. And the church leaders fought hard to maintain the veil of secrecy.

If this Pope had anything to do with cover-ups, lies, deception, kiting known abusers to other locations in favor of doing the lawful thing, not turning them in to the proper authorities, then yes, he SHOULD be arrested, along with anyone else aiding and abetting a felon.

Dawkin's point is what it usually is.....religion and religious figures are afforded exceptional protection for no other reason than fear, intimidation, or an overall societal unwillingness to question religion or it's mouthpieces. And that, IMO, is wrong.

#113 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

Moderators

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

Well, this atheist takes no joy or "wet dream" from the priest molestation scandal.

I find it deplorable, and morally reprehensible. Any person in a position of power and influence over children in what many consider the "safe haven" of religion in an otherwise "sinful" world should be punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Instead we had institutionalized cover-up. Rather than contacting authorities, the church just buried these guys or played the shell game, allowing them to molest again.

Awful.

Would anybody else receive the protection that many priests and (if true) this Pope is receiving? Congregations early on summarily dismissed accusers. Ran them out. Called them liars. Oops. And the church leaders fought hard to maintain the veil of secrecy.

If this Pope had anything to do with cover-ups, lies, deception, kiting known abusers to other locations in favor of doing the lawful thing, not turning them in to the proper authorities, then yes, he SHOULD be arrested, along with anyone else aiding and abetting a felon.

Dawkin's point is what it usually is.....religion and religious figures are afforded exceptional protection for no other reason than fear, intimidation, or an overall societal unwillingness to question religion or it's mouthpieces. And that, IMO, is wrong.

I agree with you on this.

Oh, being a Cubs fan I can see how you think there is no God. ;)

#114 Cat

Cat

Terminally bored

HUDDLER

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:29 PM

which is exactly what was being said at the beginning of the thread.

sigh

#115 Epistaxis

Epistaxis

HUDDLER

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:32 PM

I agree with you on this.

Oh, being a Cubs fan I can see how you think there is no God. ;)

Rereading my post, it is clear I am the master of the run-on sentence and have pisspoor grammar+usage.

And screw you Yankee boy. I hope gayrod tweeks a steroid engorged hammy.

Not really, I'm mostly jealous, but screw you just the same.

#116 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

SUPPORTER

Posted 14 April 2010 - 12:15 AM

Awful.

Depends on how you approach it.

If it's investigated, and found to be credible, then I'd agree. But you can't ever get in the situation of just the charges being enough to completely defrock someone. It has to be checked out, same as any other charge (adultery, harassment, etc).

Upon investigation, if there's evidence enough, they should be prosecuted. And even if the prosecution fails to convict, if there's sufficient evidence to believe they probably did it, the church should take action to remove those people from positions of power.

Molestation can often be as difficult to prove as rape, but the church is a group with even more reason to be image conscious than the NFL (hence the parallels to Big Ben). Educational institutions should pursue the same path. Tenure and teacher's unions be damned.

Do I expect any of this to happen, though? Nah.

And regarding the original suggestion of pursuing the Pope though, regardless of your opinion of the Pope's role in these actions, it's a complete exercise in futility. Considering that foreign dignitaries tend to enjoy "diplomatic immunity" that won't allow them to get so much as a parking ticket, you may as well piss in the wind.

#117 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

HUDDLER

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:23 PM

Posted Image

#118 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

HUDDLER

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:38 PM

Depends on how you approach it.

If it's investigated, and found to be credible, then I'd agree. But you can't ever get in the situation of just the charges being enough to completely defrock someone. It has to be checked out, same as any other charge (adultery, harassment, etc).

Upon investigation, if there's evidence enough, they should be prosecuted.

I'm going out on a limb here and assuming that Epi, like you, is basing his statement on due process being carried out, not simply upon news reports.

#119 dimbee

dimbee

Rabble Rouser

HUDDLER

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:41 PM

If only the CEO of Sony Music Entertainment had moved Michael Jackson to some remote land to make his music...

#120 The Other Colbert

The Other Colbert

new

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 14 April 2010 - 08:54 PM

What bothers me is this whole "infallible" attitude that the church carries. I mean it took so long for the church to come out and admit that the great crusades were a mistake. But by that logic, it means that they are in-fact NOT infallible.

All they need to do is take responsibility, punish, and make sure it doesn't happen. But will they do that? no. And this is what creates so many problems.