Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why so many teams are switching to the 3-4 and what it means for the Panthers

53 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

holy poo how much time do you have on your hands? nice writeup, i've always thought the argument that if the panthers remain a running team in an increasingly passing league they'll fail is complete horseshit. if defenses are geared to stop the pass, than the teams that can run will truck them.

only problem i ever see is that with a team with a run game can be stopped 2 ways while a passing game only one way. a running game can be stopped by a good run defense or by being outscored early in the game. passing game the only way to stop it is get to the qb. sitting back in zone will get you picked apart by the better teams in the league.

Posted · Report post

I was beginning to wonder what happened to Fiz.

Posted · Report post

good read.

the biggest weakness in this theory is a soft defense that allows the team to trail by multiple scores later in the games. running the ball takes time off the clock, but also makes drives to score require more time.

this is why you need a decent QB to close that gap when needed. this is the same reason why in 2003 Jake led the league in 4th quarter comebacks and wins; he had to. the system worked as designed then, and can do so again with even more success if the pieces fit.

Posted · Report post

Fiz is so cute when he uses his powers for good.

Posted · Report post

nice read asshole lmao.

Posted · Report post

i only clicked it once.

Posted · Report post

Very well written and you make some good points.

The spread offense is often derided by pro coaches publicly, but they are adopting it quite a bit. And Fiz is exactly right, they've felt they had to to make the most of both the rule changes and the college product they end up working with.

Also remember that those over the middle passes our 4-3 encourages aren't just chances at interceptions (most of which we make near the sidelines, strangely enough) but they are also slower plays to develop giving our D-line more time to develop penetration. The plays often also require that a TE or RB move in to clear out the middle of the field to make some space for the bigger play, removing one more potential blocker on the offensive side.

And as a note on our offensive success against the 3-4s... we've been greatly helped by having monstrous tackles, blocking tight ends, one of the best blocking fullbacks and running backs who will do more than chip a linebacker.

Posted · Report post

This is def the most epic post of the off-season.

Posted · Report post

I'm not going to lie Fiz I usually hate you, but this is a great post

Nice write up.

And proof if you employ an old dog long enough, eventually he'll come back in style.

nice writeup

Nice write up Fiz.

ahhhh now thats the old Fiz I know and love

Nice post, Fiz. First worthwhile read I've had on here in a LONG time.

I was beginning to wonder what happened to Fiz.

good read.

Fiz is so cute when he uses his powers for good.

nice read asshole lmao.

Very well written and you make some good points.

The spread offense is often derided by pro coaches publicly, but they are adopting it quite a bit. And Fiz is exactly right, they've felt they had to to make the most of both the rule changes and the college product they end up working with.

This is def the most epic post of the off-season.

You have all been set up, I hope you brought the lube, cuz you know Fiz won't.

Posted · Report post

Go down by seven or even ten and see how well we do against a 3-4 D.

Running the ball and playing prevent D is cool, but only when you have the lead. Say what you will, but it's a QB driven league, and you need a really good one to consistently make the dance.

Posted · Report post

You have all been set up, I hope you brought the lube, cuz you know Fiz won't.

I knew there would be a time to use this.

belt.jpg

Oh and if anyone is wondering I have not updated to windows 7 yet. :biggrin:

Posted · Report post

Geno Atkins is the perfect example of this...

He will fall because he has no place in a 3-4..I hope the panther pick him up.