#1 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:18 PM

http://sports.yahoo....tereotype042010

When NFL scouts look at Gerhart, they see a 6-foot, 231-pound power back who ran for 1,871 yards and 27 touchdowns last season, getting edged out by Alabama’s Mark Ingram in the closest Heisman vote in history. When they look at Gerhart’s numbers from the NFL scouting combine, they see that he ran a 4.50-second 40-yard dash and registered a 38-inch vertical leap, both impressive numbers for a player his size.

Yet they also see a white guy trying to make it in the league as a feature back, something that has become increasingly rare in this era. Peyton Hillis(notes), now with the Cleveland Browns, led the Denver Broncos in rushing yards in 2008, but was limited to just 54 last season in part because of 2009 draft pick Knowshon Moreno’s(notes) addition.

Race shouldn’t be an issue, of course, but Gerhart can’t help but believe that it has colored the opinions of at least some potential employers.

“One team I interviewed with asked me about being a white running back,” Gerhart says. “They asked if it made me feel entitled, or like I felt I was a poster child for white running backs. I said, ‘No, I’m just out there playing ball. I don’t think about that.’ I didn’t really know what to say.”

#2 Darth Biscuit

Darth Biscuit

Dark Lord

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,615 posts
  • LocationWilmington, NC

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:25 PM

Oh lord Kurb... what have you started... :willy_nilly:

“One team I interviewed with asked me about being a white running back,” Gerhart says. “They asked if it made me feel entitled, or like I felt I was a poster child for white running backs. I said, ‘No, I’m just out there playing ball. I don’t think about that.’ I didn’t really know what to say.”

This is... interesting... to say the least...

#3 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

• Banned
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:30 PM

FWIW, I don't like Decker or Shipley either... simply because they are white...

j/k, lol I really just don't like their skillsets...

#4 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:32 PM

“He’ll be a great second-round pickup for somebody, but I guarantee you if he was the exact same guy – but he was black – he’d go in the first round for sure,” the scout said. “You could make a case that he’s a Steven Jackson-type – doesn’t have blazing speed but he’s strong and powerful and versatile.”

First I've heard of this.

What a race baiting little article this is...

#5 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

• Banned
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

It is the world we live in... People still can't get past the color of a person's skin...

#6 Kurb

Kurb

I hit it.

• Administrators
  • 13,352 posts
  • LocationILM

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

Thought it was desperatly trying to be controversial as well. (gah spelling!)

I was surprised teams come out and ask questions like that tho.

#7 theyhateme45

theyhateme45

360 GT = Shino45

• HUDDLER
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

Yea a little surprising... I guess it's was supposed to be a mental question or something..... I believe he will get drafted early and will contribute early in the NFL season... His running style more reminds me of Brandon Jacobs when he came in the league... From the few Stanford games I saw.

Since we're on race.... I was thinking earlier... If The Golden Calf of Bristol was Black I promise most of my older family/other blacks would be saying the reason people want to move him to H-Back is because of his color... Or the fact that some teams don't want to touch him... Then Jerry Jones Rant... This would be the biggest story of the draft by far.... Just keeping it real.

#8 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,443 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

Maybe it's an honestly dumb question (hellooooooo Raiders), but I could see it as a "let's throw the guy a curve ball to see how he reacts" question just as easily. Teams do that quite a bit from what I understand.

#9 Samuel L. Jackson

Samuel L. Jackson

Banned

• Banned
  • 7,407 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:09 PM

Maybe it's an honestly dumb question (hellooooooo Raiders), but I could see it as a "let's throw the guy a curve ball to see how he reacts" question just as easily. Teams do that quite a bit from what I understand.

This... They also ask questions about wearing women's underwear...

#10 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,886 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:20 PM

One has to wonder if the reporter was just doing a routine interview when Gerhart let that little tid bit out. I'm sure the guys eyes got real big and thought, "I just got a whole new article out of this that my boss will love!!"

#11 BBQ&Beer

BBQ&Beer

The good actor

• HUDDLER
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationMissouri

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:40 PM

One has to wonder if the reporter was just doing a routine interview when Gerhart let that little tid bit out. I'm sure the guys eyes got real big and thought, "I just got a whole new article out of this that my boss will love!!"

Exactly what I was thinking.

#12 nagai

nagai

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:59 AM

Ummmmm ok. What is it about being white that gets them worried, that they're not as athletic as black guys? Hasn't he proved that he is athletic no matter how true those stereotypes are?

#13 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,613 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 06:19 AM

It's not racism, it's stereotyping. And it's pretty common.

#14 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 07:37 AM

It's not racism, it's stereotyping. And it's pretty common.

One in the same in this case.

Definiton of racism: a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.

I really don't think Gerhart should complain too much its not nearly as bad as the African Americans were discriminated against. And I'm not so sure he would be a 1st rounder even if he were Black. He really is more of a power back.

Edited by jramsey4, 21 April 2010 - 07:39 AM.

#15 FreeDrinkMafia

FreeDrinkMafia

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 03:15 PM

Short yardage backs might as well have blue skin; but i guess he'll get to whine about it on tv when he get cut or traded for a bag of fritos in a few years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.