Photo
- - - - -

Panthers Third Round Pick #78 Brandon Lafell WR

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#16 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,692 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

Super aggressive and competitive --- Tough, powerful and physical - That's what separates him from DJ.

#17 chbright

chbright

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

biggest difference between this guy and gilyard: no problem fighting through jams, a key imo to making him a legit #1 or #2 guy.

#18 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:12 PM

I love how he's confident without being cocky, Edwards is also.

I really like the pick after looking at his interviews.

#19 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:38 PM

The question is can he consistently catch the ball...droped passes have killed him

#20 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:20 AM

The question is can he consistently catch the ball...droped passes have killed him

The bigger ? is can he get separation. I really think all we did was draft a new shiny Jarrett and everyone on this board is falling all over him. Jarrett is really not as bad as people are making him out to be.

#21 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:44 AM

The bigger ? is can he get separation. I really think all we did was draft a new shiny Jarrett and everyone on this board is falling all over him. Jarrett is really not as bad as people are making him out to be.

I think he is faster than Jarrett but his hands are not as good.

#22 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:25 AM

So by your assessment Jarrett is not that bad and we then have a player who is a new shiny version of him. So, then we have two not too bad receivers, both of which are 24...? Not a bad situation really. Look at how the two bigs guys in SD are doing, Jarrett (if he can keep on the roster) and LaFell could be a match up nightmare for any speed based defensive backfield.

Whilst separation is important, it is more important for the receivers that can't fight off defenders for the ball. These kind of guys just need a ball thrown up for them to go and get, something which many cornerbacks simply will not be able to deal with.

#23 jramsey4

jramsey4

"Blisters on me Fingers"

• HUDDLER
  • 3,479 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:19 PM

So by your assessment Jarrett is not that bad and we then have a player who is a new shiny version of him. So, then we have two not too bad receivers, both of which are 24...? Not a bad situation really. Look at how the two bigs guys in SD are doing, Jarrett (if he can keep on the roster) and LaFell could be a match up nightmare for any speed based defensive backfield.

Whilst separation is important, it is more important for the receivers that can't fight off defenders for the ball. These kind of guys just need a ball thrown up for them to go and get, something which many cornerbacks simply will not be able to deal with.

Then why is it that Jarrett is widely considered by almost everyone a bust and yet that could be said about him?

I just think if you wanted another possession receiver AJ Jackson went Undrafted. You could use the argument that they both bring similar strengths (albeit a tad slower) and he is a full 2 inches taller. I don't see any slot recievers that went Undrafted that I am really interested in (maybe Banks).

The situation with Lafell is almost the same as with Jarrett. He fell and when we get him everyone thinks he has/had so much value and how great a pick it is and how he is the next "Moose". I keep telling everyone we already have that. The knocks and strengths are almost identical. And possession receivers were a dime a dozen in this draft.

Everyone rags me, I guess I do take the draft to seriously (its my life for about 8-10 months out of the year). We had a decent draft but considering it was probably the deepest in history (even in the UDFA class) we should have done better JMHO.

Edited by jramsey4, 25 April 2010 - 07:27 PM.

#24 rmoneyg35

rmoneyg35

• HUDDLER
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:05 AM

Wow I didn't know this guy was as fast as he shows to be in the video. He has great speed for a big man. My question is would he be a 1st round pick if his worth ethic wasnt questionable and he didn't character issues? Now days it seems if a player makes the slightest mistake his value drops tremendously even guys that have already made it in the NFL loose their value with character issues, (Big Ben, TO, Holmes, Marshal,ect) I think if we have good leaders and coaches then character issues can be controlled. It seems like this player gave us two things, a much needed WR and a WR that fits the system(blocking) I have high hopes for this man.

#25 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 12:33 PM

Clausen, the former Notre Dame quarterback picked in the second round, looked sharp and accurate with his throws. LaFell, a wide receiver from LSU, dropped several passes. Edwards, the former Appalachain State quarterback-turned-receiver, showed very good, soft hands, catching most everything thrown to him.

http://blogs.charlot...camp-opens.html

#26 DynastyRTR

DynastyRTR

newnfldraft.com writer

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

For some reason, he reminds me of a mix between Early Doucet and Dwayne Jarrett...

#27 scpanther22

scpanther22

• HUDDLER
  • 7,230 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 09:21 PM

Lafell update

After dropping several passes Friday in Panthers’ minicamp practices, rookie receiver Brandon LaFell looked the part of a starter-to-be Saturday.

LaFell is a strong receiver with good size (6-foot-2, 211 pounds), but he also has a smooth stride and seems to move quickly through his routes.

Read more: http://www.charlotte...l#ixzz0mjcMPISo

#28 Lout

Lout

Draft Guru

• HUDDLER
  • 2,429 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 10:48 AM

Thanks for the update. Glad to see he is having good flashes.. I just hope he can develop that consistently.

#29 rmoneyg35

rmoneyg35

• HUDDLER
  • 2,090 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 01:13 PM

I read this

# Inconsistent hands in previous years

Does that mean this year he had good hands or had good hands one year?

I have high hope in our new WR coach and obviously see that our front office has faith in the coach also because we drafted 3 WRs and signed a few new ones. I saw also that LaFell had a bad QB which could have the effect of making LaFell look bad.

#30 Urrymonster

Urrymonster

• HUDDLER
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 10 May 2010 - 03:27 PM

I read this

# Inconsistent hands in previous years

Does that mean this year he had good hands or had good hands one year?

I have high hope in our new WR coach and obviously see that our front office has faith in the coach also because we drafted 3 WRs and signed a few new ones. I saw also that LaFell had a bad QB which could have the effect of making LaFell look bad.

Regardless that suggests one thing to me. He has a lack of concentration.

If he has erratic hands from one year to the next, it could simply be him trying to do too much before securing the pass due to confidence from a previous season.

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com