15 replies to this topic

#1 PantherProfessor

PantherProfessor

Fingers Crossed

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:49 PM

I think all the pieces are set for us to trade 2011 1st round to add a higher 2nd this year and maybe a 4th.

-We move up ahead of the group that will make a WR run (late 30's) and still land a top prospect (Tate or Benn)

-We save money on a potential large contract next year that allows us money to re-sign some guys already on the roster (Kalil, D-will, Davis, etc..)

-Next years draft could be terrible b/c of lockout (JR knows this)

-We get better this year and maybe help Fox save his sorry ass (lots of roster spots to fill, no activity in FA, need extra picks to fill out team)

I was against the move last year, but this year it makes a lot of sense. It fits the mold for the moves made so far this offseason (getting younger, cheaper....). As everyone has stated, this draft is DEEP, and after yesterday, the talent left lingering at the top of this round is excellent.

I say we add a few picks in rounds 2-4, even at the expense of next year. This year is one big gamble already (unproven QB, unproven D-line, no depth really anywhere, lameduck coach) so why not put all the chips in and see what we can make of it?

#2 Squirrel

Squirrel

Drink a beer and relax

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,358 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:51 PM

I actuall agree. This year would be a good one to trade next years #1 pick.

#3 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,142 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

I would love to get to the top of the second, and still have our #48 pick.

#4 LelouchBritannia

LelouchBritannia

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

I would be weary of putting all of my eggs in one basket. We've trimmed off alot of contracts and let go of many veterans. If we end up trading our first AGAIN and there is no lockout we end up potentially crippling our team again.

Hurney's track record in the first round is significantly better than in the second, so i'd rather we keep what hurney's always been great at than take a gamble at another second for a first.

#5 PantherProfessor

PantherProfessor

Fingers Crossed

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:55 PM

I would love to get to the top of the second, and still have our #48 pick.

yep, we could land a top DT and WR. I still think we could take another WR in the 4th, if we took someone like Benn in 2nd, then take Andre Roberts in the 4th for a 3rd WR / KR. that would make my day

#6 OnlyPantherFaninMaine

OnlyPantherFaninMaine

All In.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,174 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:55 PM

Agreed. I think the Panthers will make a big move in one way or another tonight. I still think we need to land top WR talent (Tate/Gilyard). With our current 2nd round pick hopefully we can get a steal at the DE/DT position.

I need the draft now.

#7 PantherProfessor

PantherProfessor

Fingers Crossed

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:57 PM

I would be weary of putting all of my eggs in one basket. We've trimmed off alot of contracts and let go of many veterans. If we end up trading our first AGAIN and there is no lockout we end up potentially crippling our team again.

Hurney's track record in the first round is significantly better than in the second, so i'd rather we keep what hurney's always been great at than take a gamble at another second for a first.

true, but i dont see how you can miss in this year's 2nd, especially with the talent that is left on the board in top half of the round.

I am not so confident in the 3-4 rounds, but with enough picks, we can find someone to fill roles

#8 House

House

Fly Navy

• HUDDLER
  • 2,481 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

With the amount of 1st round talent left in this draft, it is going to be very expensive to move up into the top of the 2nd. Especially since we did not have a 1st this year and most teams will know that we are desperate. Just so much talent I think that someone very good will fall to us. I would be more for trading a 3rd and a 5th to get back into the bottom of the second.

#9 CRA

CRA

• Moderators
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:02 PM

Why would a team want our 1st round pick? A mid to late round 1st rounder probably will land you the same caliber player avaliable in this years 2nd? Carolina would have to give away too much for a 2nd round pick in this years draft....and they don't have the ammo.

#10 PantherProfessor

PantherProfessor

Fingers Crossed

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

Why would a team want our 1st round pick? A mid to late round 1st rounder probably will land you the same caliber player avaliable in this years 2nd? Carolina would have to give away too much for a 2nd round pick in this years draft....and they don't have the ammo.

to the mass media, we are "rebuilding", so we are supposed to suck this year. therefore our 1st round pick should be a top ten. the risk someone takes with giving us a 2nd could net them a high pick, which we wouldnt want anyway b/c of contract issues. it could happen

#11 Murph

Murph

Joe Cool

• HUDDLER
  • 3,893 posts
  • LocationRound about here

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:17 PM

and if the mass media is right, losing a top 10 pick next year is something this franchise can not afford to have happen. Especially with a new coach coming in because the next draft will be his and all new coaches want some of their selected talent to start rebuilding....especially elite talent.

#12 PantherProfessor

PantherProfessor

Fingers Crossed

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 01:53 PM

and if the mass media is right, losing a top 10 pick next year is something this franchise can not afford to have happen. Especially with a new coach coming in because the next draft will be his and all new coaches want some of their selected talent to start rebuilding....especially elite talent.

true, but with our schedule, i dont see that happening unless we have monumental injuries on both sides of the ball.

#13 Peppers90 NC

Peppers90 NC

• HUDDLER
  • 9,142 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:07 PM

The problem is... we wouldn't be trading with the mass media.

#14 OneBadassCat

OneBadassCat

• HUDDLER
  • 5,082 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

We need to get two 2nd round picks.

#15 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 02:28 PM

The problem is... we wouldn't be trading with the mass media.

This.

Also, yes, it's a great year to trade next years picks. However, on the flip side, it's an excellent year to NOT trade up because the depth of the draft. If you trade picks from next year, sure, you can grab more from this draft. But, this draft has more talent in further rounds than usual, meaning that you shouldn't need those extra high round picks to get good players.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.