#136 riddel

riddel

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 07:49 PM

No...he wasn't.

Matt Jones had 65 receptions for 761 yards and 2 tds. Oh yeah he only played 12 games....

Moose had 53 receptions for 581 yards and 1 td.

What is a good WR mean to you, because Matt Jones was 180 yards and a td in 4 fewer games better than the Panthers #2 WR?

Edited by riddel, 25 April 2010 - 07:51 PM.

#137 AceMan

AceMan

Huddle Vet

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,667 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:06 PM

Matt Jones had 65 receptions for 761 yards and 2 tds. Oh yeah he only played 12 games....

Moose had 53 receptions for 581 yards and 1 td.

What is a good WR mean to you, because Matt Jones was 180 yards and a td in 4 fewer games better than the Panthers #2 WR?

Ok

Matt Jones-65 Rec., 761 yards, 2 Tds

Keary Colbert-47 Rec., 754 yards, 5 TDs

For a 1st rounder, I really wouldn't call that good production after 4 years in the league.

Using WR stats for our team last year is useless because we had Delhomme throwing the ball. Also, Moose was clearly over the hill last year. Was Matt Jones better than Moose last year? Probably. But, both weren't good WRs anyway.

If we can get a #2 that put up decent numbers like Moose did in 08, then I would qualify that as a good WR.

#138 riddel

riddel

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:56 PM

Ok

Matt Jones-65 Rec., 761 yards, 2 Tds

Keary Colbert-47 Rec., 754 yards, 5 TDs

For a 1st rounder, I really wouldn't call that good production after 4 years in the league.

Using WR stats for our team last year is useless because we had Delhomme throwing the ball. Also, Moose was clearly over the hill last year. Was Matt Jones better than Moose last year? Probably. But, both weren't good WRs anyway.

If we can get a #2 that put up decent numbers like Moose did in 08, then I would qualify that as a good WR.

For a 21st pick, Matt Jones is a flop, but to say he wasn't a good WR is obsurd. Had he not ruined himself he would have been a "good" WR. Would he have been a 21st pick WR? No.

Fact is he only played 12 games and only started 10 games in 2008 and had 65 catches for 761 yards. Moose in 2008 had 100 plus yards more than Jones, but played 16 games. After that comparison, you have to go back to 2004 to find a #2 WR on the Panthers that matched Matts numbers.

The point is he was not a flop as a WR he was a flop as a person. The original point made was that Matt Jones was a flop as a QB turned WR and that's not accurate. Even as a twisted cokehead he still did better than most of the Panther's #2 WRs stats since the Panthers have been in existence.....so if you're calling the guy out for not being a "good" WR, then you're wrong.

#139 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 18,752 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:04 PM

Matt Jones with the Jaguars the first one that comes to mind.

Edelman in NE.....Cribbs in Cleveland.

#140 koolkatluke

koolkatluke

• HUDDLER
  • 7,847 posts
  • LocationNonya

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:13 PM

Edelman in NE.....Cribbs in Cleveland.

Thank You MH. People need too understand that somtimes you draft playmakers because they are playmakers and have skills that translate too more then 1 position. By the way Boldin was a QB in college as was Ronald Curry. Both became solid WR.

#141 Darknight

Darknight

Official Rep Keeper

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 662 posts
  • LocationKinston

Posted 25 April 2010 - 09:27 PM

Edwards is a third round pick. If he can return a punt past the 20 consistently, it will have been worth the investment. If he throws ONE pass that goes for long yardage on a wildcat play, or gets a few first downs, it will have been worth the investment.

He's a playmaker. I feel good about this pick.

this

#142 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,777 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:07 PM

#143 carpanfan96

carpanfan96

play hard, hit harder

• ALL-PRO
  • 11,388 posts
  • LocationConcord, NC

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:35 PM

The picks I will follow most: Clausen, Armanti Edwards

Certainly it will be Clausen, but the other prospect will be Armanti Edwards, projected to move from quarterback to wide receiver. He is athletic and fast with good hands. I am told he looked good in receiver workouts. The Panthers traded a second-round pick next year to get him.

http://www.cbssports...overlist_footer

So Edwards looked really good in his WR drills and showed really good hands catching the ball.
Awesome...

#144 rmoneyg35

rmoneyg35

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 03:33 AM

Ok my question is what position did we draft Edwards for. I am really pissed how we used a 2nd round pick to get him. We drafted him pretty high. I can tell you right now we didn't draft him to be our starting quarter back, but possibly with our run game use him as the QB in the wild cat formation, maybe we plan on using more wild cat plays. Our front office has been looking at the guy for a while now. I believe we have a plan for him and its not just for him to be our WR or return man. Just think of what how sick it would be with Edwards as our Qb and double trouble behind him? I think if Edwards can be successful in the NFL then we will be able to do some sick plays in the wild cat.

#145 Cyberjag

Cyberjag

• HUDDLER
  • 3,642 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 06:21 AM

http://www.cbssports...overlist_footer

So Edwards looked really good in his WR drills and showed really good hands catching the ball.
Awesome...

Edwards has bigger hands than LaFell

#146 Shermdog

Shermdog

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:19 AM

We have his old favorite target Dexter Jackson on the team now. Maybe they can build some chemistry together.

#147 Panthro

Panthro

aka Pablo

• Moderators
  • 23,777 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:22 AM

Awesome idea!!! An Appalacian DOUBLE ATTACK watch the fug out NFL!!!! Yeah!!!! Woo!!!!

#148 psyburn21

psyburn21

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:02 AM

From what I've seen of him I have to say that I like that pick too. Can't have enough playmakers and he will see the field this year at WR/KR.

Edited by psyburn21, 26 April 2010 - 08:05 AM.

#149 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:16 AM

We have his old favorite target Dexter Jackson on the team now. Maybe they can build some chemistry together.

That was one of the first things that I thought of.

:D

#150 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,571 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:19 AM

His drafting more than likely helps put Jackson back on the street.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com