Charter Fan '93

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 10:37 AM

I like this pick.

2010 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report (from fftoolbox.com):
Eric Norwood, OLB, South Carolina
Norwood is one of those rare college athletes who stick around for four years and are absolute forces in all four of those seasons. The Gamecock linebacker arrived in Columbia in 2006 and promptly tied for the team lead with seven sacks as a freshman. He was named to the All-SEC First Team as both a sophomore and junior and he was even better as a senior.
Norwood led South Carolina in the following categories: solo tackles (55), tackles for loss (11.5), sacks (tied with seven), interceptions (two), quarterback hurries (11) and blocked kicks (three). He finished second in both assists (26) and total tackles (81). Even without such a remarkable 2009 campaign, Norwood was already the program's career leader with 43 tackles for loss and third with 22 sacks after just three seasons.

It goes without saying that Norwood is an extremely durable player, as he never missed a single game in his college life. Not only will NFL scouts be thrilled with that, but they also have to love Norwood's speed that makes him a standout outside 'backer. Norwood projects as a outside linebacker in a 3-4 NFL defense or perhaps a defensive end in a 4-3. He lined up at DE several times for the Gamecocks despite playing primarily as an OLB. He is a bit undersized at 6'1'' and 252 pounds so a firs-round selection is unlikely, but he will almost certainly be off the board prior to the end of round two.

Edited by DawgzLife, 24 April 2010 - 10:40 AM.

#2 bes628

bes628

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

Im a fan.

So far I got our draft at B+

#3 necroplasm

necroplasm

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:23 AM

I knew Panthers would get this guy.. all alone. Solid player, great attitude.
Fug yea I'm excited!

#4 Tweeder

Tweeder

Hark the Sound

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:58 AM

I think he was a steal at this pick.....very solid pickup

#5 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:11 PM

Yep. besides the App State guy (who could be great for all i know) this is an A+ draft

#6 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 16,550 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:18 PM

No. 124: Panthers select: Eric Norwood, OLB, South Carolina Grade D+
Analysis: Eric Norwood is a good pass rusher but might be undersized. He would have fit better in a 3-4 defense. With limited picks the Panthers could have went with Cam Thomas to add a DT.

Or not...

#7 TerriblePizza

TerriblePizza

Bringin dat Gamecock swag

• HUDDLER
  • 2,221 posts
  • LocationCamden, SC

Posted 24 April 2010 - 12:20 PM

Norwood is a great pick. He started out as a DE his first two years. He was playing at 270, but dropped the weight when they asked him to move to OLB. He'll be a good DE if we puts some of the weight back on.

#8 TANTRIC-NINJA

TANTRIC-NINJA

The holy ghost of Mr. Miyagi

• HUDDLER
  • 5,570 posts
  • LocationColumbia, South Kacky

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:15 PM

No. 124: Panthers select: Eric Norwood, OLB, South Carolina Grade D+
Analysis: Eric Norwood is a good pass rusher but might be undersized. He would have fit better in a 3-4 defense. With limited picks the Panthers could have went with Cam Thomas to add a DT.

Or not...

a D+ grade is a joke and unjustified. I felt like Cam Thomas was a better fit but our LB core is actually a little thin if Thomas Davis is not 100%. Norwood does whatever you want and does it well. I am a fan. I give it a B grade.

#9 GIXXER1000

GIXXER1000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 445 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 24 April 2010 - 03:39 PM

Yep great pick, anybody that has stiff armed The Golden Calf of Bristol like this is awesome in my book.

Posted Image

#10 Shermdog

Shermdog

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:25 PM

I think this is my favorite pick of the draft. This guy looks like a beast.

#11 southcakalac

southcakalac

Wharton Fan Club

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,755 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 07:39 PM

As a Gamecock fan I love this pick. Norwood was a force his entire time in college. You never heard anything bad about the guy off the field. He is extremely athletic and has good speed.

He and Captain are good friends so I am happy that they are back together on the same team again.

#12 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

• HUDDLER
  • 6,407 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

what I like about Norwood is that we can do some of our base defense with him as a down lineman, like a 5-2. That'd be nice to have a little wrinkle like that every now and then.

#13 Delhommey

Delhommey

• Moderators
  • 12,407 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:44 PM

I can see him being used like Thomas Davis was his first year, in a kind of Joker role.

#14 theyhateme45

theyhateme45

360 GT = Shino45

• HUDDLER
  • 3,371 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 11:13 PM

As a Gamecock fan I love this pick. Norwood was a force his entire time in college. You never heard anything bad about the guy off the field. He is extremely athletic and has good speed.

He and Captain are good friends so I am happy that they are back together on the same team again.

The worst thing you could probably find is the dude probably didn't do his homework in high-school.... I believe he said in his panther.com interview that he graduated with like a 1.8!! Lol... that's like a D+..... In all fairness to him, academics we not an issue at USC and he did graduate early.

#15 rmoneyg35

rmoneyg35

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 02:39 AM

I can see him being used like Thomas Davis was his first year, in a kind of Joker role.

As long as we dont line him up as a safety like we did Davis his first year. The guy reminds me of Davis for some reason. He is basically the same size. he ran a 4.67 and Davis ran a 4.65. The problem seems to be coverage which with our great linebacker coaches can be fixed if the kid is willing to learn. Anyone know what position we have him for? WLB or SLB?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.