Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is $1,000 too much for a Bday present?

20 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

My brother is 19, getting divorced, and is dirt poor.

I want to give him $1,000 for his birthday. Is that too much to give?

I dont want him to think I am insulting his poorness. He works a super crummy job at Arby's and goes to college, making some wicked good grades might I add.

So is $1,000 too much in this case or whats some of the best advice here?

Posted · Report post

Do it. If you can afford to give him a grand, then it would mean alot to your brother. Plus if he is trying to better his life by doing well in college then its a nice reward.

Posted · Report post

Do it. If you can afford to give him a grand, then it would mean alot to your brother. Plus if he is trying to better his life by doing well in college then its a nice reward.

This

Posted · Report post

My birthday is coming up next month!

1 person likes this

Posted · Report post

yup. just don't expect anything in return. ever.

Posted · Report post

If you can afford it and your brother is a responsible guy....then by all means do it!

Posted · Report post

If you can afford it, then do it. But if he is not responsible with his money, maybe it would be better given in a way that would force him to use the money responsibly. For example, gift card at clothing stores for new threads, gas cards, etc...

Posted · Report post

Here's a suggestion. Take him to his bank and open a money market account with it. You can frame it as "here's a cushion for when you need it" or "to get you started on some savings" rather than "here's $1,000, you're poor so go buy some groceries and beer." Even if the latter is what he really needs he can withdrawal the money, close the account, and spend it as he pleases. But the way you frame the gift is important.

You're a good bro.

Posted · Report post

Here's a suggestion. Take him to his bank and open a money market account with it. You can frame it as "here's a cushion for when you need it" or "to get you started on some savings" rather than "here's $1,000, you're poor so go buy some groceries and beer." Even if the latter is what he really needs he can withdrawal the money, close the account, and spend it as he pleases. But the way you frame the gift is important.

You're a good bro.

No this. Or put 500 in there and 500 in I Bonds.

Posted · Report post

No this. Or put 500 in there and 500 in I Bonds.

Well, if he is that depressed, it would be ok to spend a couple of hundred on a night on the town. A nice meal, some drinks and a couple of lap dances. :)

Posted · Report post

You're a good bro.

NO!!!

Unless they are divorced and the papers signed, don't give him anything that she may be entitled to 1/2 of!!! Community property laws! Most spouses are entitled to 1/2 of everything the other spouse makes, including gifts while the couple is/was married!

I don't know the state where your brother and his wife/soon to be ex wife life in, But unless the divorce papers are signed by both parties, don't give him something that can be traced!

The best thing is to wait until the papers are signed! JMO If you want to slip him a couple $100 bucks, do it in cash. Even gift cards, CAN be construed as "Community Property"!

Posted · Report post

Take him to Vegas instead. That's what i did with my little brother when he was in the same spot.

• Latest Articles

• Recent Comments