19 replies to this topic

#1 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,550 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:04 PM

My brother is 19, getting divorced, and is dirt poor.

I want to give him $1,000 for his birthday. Is that too much to give?

I dont want him to think I am insulting his poorness. He works a super crummy job at Arby's and goes to college, making some wicked good grades might I add.

So is $1,000 too much in this case or whats some of the best advice here?

#2 Wanderlai

Wanderlai

• HUDDLER
  • 2,908 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:09 PM

Do it. If you can afford to give him a grand, then it would mean alot to your brother. Plus if he is trying to better his life by doing well in college then its a nice reward.

#3 tarheelblue89

tarheelblue89

More u spend, More u win

• HUDDLER
  • 6,182 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:12 PM

Do it. If you can afford to give him a grand, then it would mean alot to your brother. Plus if he is trying to better his life by doing well in college then its a nice reward.

This

#4 sunbunny

sunbunny

• HUDDLER
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:24 PM

My birthday is coming up next month!

#5 mmmbeans

mmmbeans

FBI SURVEILLANCE VAN

• HUDDLER
  • 14,000 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

yup. just don't expect anything in return. ever.

#6 Kyle82

Kyle82

• HUDDLER
  • 3,822 posts
  • LocationRock Hill SC

Posted 25 April 2010 - 02:56 PM

If you can afford it and your brother is a responsible guy....then by all means do it!

#7 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,451 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 03:50 PM

If you can afford it, then do it. But if he is not responsible with his money, maybe it would be better given in a way that would force him to use the money responsibly. For example, gift card at clothing stores for new threads, gas cards, etc...

#8 mr beauxjangles

mr beauxjangles

Large Member

• HUDDLER
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:47 PM

Here's a suggestion. Take him to his bank and open a money market account with it. You can frame it as "here's a cushion for when you need it" or "to get you started on some savings" rather than "here's $1,000, you're poor so go buy some groceries and beer." Even if the latter is what he really needs he can withdrawal the money, close the account, and spend it as he pleases. But the way you frame the gift is important.

You're a good bro.

#9 pstall

pstall

Gazebo Effect

• HUDDLER
  • 19,827 posts
  • LocationMontford

Posted 25 April 2010 - 04:50 PM

Here's a suggestion. Take him to his bank and open a money market account with it. You can frame it as "here's a cushion for when you need it" or "to get you started on some savings" rather than "here's $1,000, you're poor so go buy some groceries and beer." Even if the latter is what he really needs he can withdrawal the money, close the account, and spend it as he pleases. But the way you frame the gift is important.

You're a good bro.

No this. Or put 500 in there and 500 in I Bonds.

#10 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,451 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:02 PM

No this. Or put 500 in there and 500 in I Bonds.

Well, if he is that depressed, it would be ok to spend a couple of hundred on a night on the town. A nice meal, some drinks and a couple of lap dances. :)

#11 charlotte49er

charlotte49er

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationCharlotte-Mint HIll, NC

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

You're a good bro.

NO!!!

Unless they are divorced and the papers signed, don't give him anything that she may be entitled to 1/2 of!!! Community property laws! Most spouses are entitled to 1/2 of everything the other spouse makes, including gifts while the couple is/was married!

I don't know the state where your brother and his wife/soon to be ex wife life in, But unless the divorce papers are signed by both parties, don't give him something that can be traced!

The best thing is to wait until the papers are signed! JMO If you want to slip him a couple $100 bucks, do it in cash. Even gift cards, CAN be construed as "Community Property"!

Edited by sports talk, 25 April 2010 - 05:39 PM.

#12 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • 17,023 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 05:55 PM

Take him to Vegas instead. That's what i did with my little brother when he was in the same spot.

#13 Hawk

Hawk

Huddler of the Decade

• Moderators
  • 14,979 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 06:08 PM

lots of good advice...but I need to echo the whole...if he's responsible part...and the don't expect anything in return part.

#14 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• HUDDLER
  • 16,451 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:06 PM

NO!!!

Unless they are divorced and the papers signed, don't give him anything that she may be entitled to 1/2 of!!! Community property laws! Most spouses are entitled to 1/2 of everything the other spouse makes, including gifts while the couple is/was married!

I don't know the state where your brother and his wife/soon to be ex wife life in, But unless the divorce papers are signed by both parties, don't give him something that can be traced!

The best thing is to wait until the papers are signed! JMO If you want to slip him a couple $100 bucks, do it in cash. Even gift cards, CAN be construed as "Community Property"!

Don't get divorced in Virginia. Divorce laws suck there for the guy.

#15 charlotte49er

charlotte49er

SENIOR HUDDLER

• HUDDLER
  • 4,549 posts
  • LocationCharlotte-Mint HIll, NC

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

Don't get divorced in Virginia. Divorce laws suck there for the guy.

Unless it's changed, North Carolina law makes you be legally (separation papers filed) separated a year before you can file for divorce. Now, if both parties agree on a date of separation, you can filed the separation decree retroactively.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.