Photo
- - - - -

Is $1,000 too much for a Bday present?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
19 replies to this topic

#16 Brokenbad

Brokenbad

Cam is my hero

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 25 April 2010 - 08:29 PM

Here's a suggestion. Take him to his bank and open a money market account with it. You can frame it as "here's a cushion for when you need it" or "to get you started on some savings" rather than "here's $1,000, you're poor so go buy some groceries and beer." Even if the latter is what he really needs he can withdrawal the money, close the account, and spend it as he pleases. But the way you frame the gift is important.

You're a good bro.

This. I was thinking a heartfelt, handwritten letter about strong suggestions of how to use the money. I agree 100% that he could use it as a foundation for savings, it would be my primary suggestion. I think I might wait to do all of this in person. I wont see him until after his bday, Im in Iraq right now.

#17 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

HUDDLER

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:53 PM

My brother is 19, getting divorced, and is dirt poor.

I want to give him $1,000 for his birthday. Is that too much to give?

I dont want him to think I am insulting his poorness. He works a super crummy job at Arby's and goes to college, making some wicked good grades might I add.

So is $1,000 too much in this case or whats some of the best advice here?

do in the form of an investment or something unless you want him to be able to use it immediately.

#18 SorthNarolina

SorthNarolina

HUDDLER

Posted 25 April 2010 - 10:54 PM

Here's a suggestion. Take him to his bank and open a money market account with it. You can frame it as "here's a cushion for when you need it" or "to get you started on some savings" rather than "here's $1,000, you're poor so go buy some groceries and beer." Even if the latter is what he really needs he can withdrawal the money, close the account, and spend it as he pleases. But the way you frame the gift is important.

You're a good bro.

too the words outa my mouf.

#19 Hawk

Hawk

Banned

Moderators

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:07 AM

ummm...op says he is dirt poor...sounds like he could use it now!!!

#20 mr beauxjangles

mr beauxjangles

Large Member

HUDDLER

Posted 26 April 2010 - 11:00 AM

ummm...op says he is dirt poor...sounds like he could use it now!!!

my suggestion was just on how he frames the gift. he can' mandate how it's used. a money market account is just as liquid as a checking account - he can take that money out immediately if he wants. but by putting it there it allows him to frame the gift with a bit more sensitivity given the OPs concern (insulting his brother).