Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Smoltz to Red Sox?

44 posts in this topic

Posted · Report post

I'll be honest, this pisses me off a lot. The Braves have done nothing but sit on their butts this off season and the one move they try to make blows up in their faces. I'm guessing Smoltz likes the money and being on a team that wants to do something.

Posted · Report post

fire wren. he is the joke of the league now. you have a guy that has been with the team since the 14 div streak started, the best pitcher you have and you let him walk. top that off with the deals that you let get away, and make a boneheaded one for a overpaid pitcher and frank wren single handedly will make the braves the worst team in baseball and kill the fan base. until this f*cker is booted out, i wont likely follow baseball anymore like others have said. way to turn fans away franky.

Posted · Report post

wren wants to resign andrew jones supposedly as well. chipper isnt thrilled the smoltz deal and now glavin is not a lock to return to just the braves. can someone tell me why the hell this dumbass got the job.

Posted · Report post

Now that I have cooled down some about this deal, I kind of see what the thinking was on the Braves part. There is a good chance that Smoltz will take some time before playing this season to rest up his arm and with his age, an injury like that is a big concern. Throwing $5 mil at him is not something the Braves would do considering that chance.

Still, Smoltz did so much for the organization that it hurts to see him leave and makes you wonder how hard the Braves actually tried to keep him. He just seems like the type of guy that wants to win first, the money comes latter. I think this says something about where the organization is headed and leaves a bad taste in the mouths of players close to him.

If they let Smoltz walk, they will let Chipper too it seems. That would be a very sad day.

Posted · Report post

Not as a starter I hope.....middle relief, hell yeah! Bring it on. Oh and I could buy my wife a Sox "Smoltz" jersey so she can throw her Braves one away :)

OMG, the thought of how pissed she will be if this happens!

:thumbsup:

HELL YEAH!!

Posted · Report post

This is a major bummer. I'm a Braves fan who lives in Boston and am NOT looking forward to seeing him in a Sox uniform.

Posted · Report post

Not as a starter I hope.....middle relief, hell yeah! Bring it on. Oh and I could buy my wife a Sox "Smoltz" jersey so she can throw her Braves one away :)

OMG, the thought of how pissed she will be if this happens!

Why Middle Relief? If he recovers from his injury, then he should definitely start. And if I were a Red Sox fan, I would be highly pissed that a middle reliever got paid 5.5 million for one year.

Posted · Report post

Why Middle Relief? If he recovers from his injury, then he should definitely start. And if I were a Red Sox fan, I would be highly pissed that a middle reliever got paid 5.5 million for one year.

Cause he's an old man who's starting days are behind him...he would be awesome as a setup guy for Pap. Never liked the Braves putting him back in the rotation after he did his stint in the bullpen. Guess they didn't have much choice with lack of talent among the starting pitchers but he was great out of the bullpen.

Oh, and the Sox middle relief isn't so great so we could use the help there.

Posted · Report post

Cause he's an old man who's starting days are behind him...he would be awesome as a setup guy for Pap. Never liked the Braves putting him back in the rotation after he did his stint in the bullpen. Guess they didn't have much choice with lack of talent among the starting pitchers but he was great out of the bullpen.

Oh, and the Sox middle relief isn't so great so we could use the help there.

Yeah I agree with our Mid as well -- he would be a great asset there! ;)

Posted · Report post

has to be middle relief. I love Smoltzie , but can't rationally pull anyone out of the Boston rotation to make room for him

Posted · Report post

why mid relief, guy had 150 saves. guy is a gamer, and he has shown he can adapt to any position you stick him in, starter, closer, hell bullpen work.

he will be the setup/7th inning guy, and give them a nasty end game with pap closing. hell he can spell pap at times.

still not happy at all with wren though he lowballed the base and if i was smoltz i would been upset too.

Posted · Report post

why mid relief, guy had 150 saves. guy is a gamer, and he has shown he can adapt to any position you stick him in, starter, closer, hell bullpen work.

he will be the setup/7th inning guy, and give them a nasty end game with pap closing. hell he can spell pap at times.

still not happy at all with wren though he lowballed the base and if i was smoltz i would been upset too.

I say because of the major surgery but it looks like he will get his wish as a starter around June 1st...

http://hotstove.mlblogs.com/archives/2009/01/smoltz_expected_to_sign_with_r.html

Smoltz set to sign with Red Sox

John Smoltz's days with the Braves are over. The veteran hurler could sign with the Red Sox as early as Thursday afternoon.

A Major League source who was in contact with Smoltz on Wednesday night said the 41-year-old right-hander will be calling the Braves on Thursday morning to tell them that he has decided to sign with the Red Sox..

Smoltz, who had been with the Braves since making his Major League debut in 1988, will make a guaranteed $5.5 million. The source said his offer also includes "very attainable" incentives that could raise his 2009 earnings to $10 million.

With Smoltz coming off major shoulder surgery, the Red Sox don't plan on having him pitch until June 1. He's expected to get his wish to serve as a starter.

- Mark Bowman