Photo
- - - - -

Smoltz to Red Sox?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
43 replies to this topic

#11 Nicbsbll2

Nicbsbll2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

Wow... I completely give up on the Braves. What happened to the front office that was able to bring us 14 straight division titles? How in the hell do you let John Smoltz leave Atlanta? They need to just disband the entire organization now.

...Ok, maybe I'm overreacting a little bit, but damnit, how in the world do you let Smoltz leave??

#12 faultlessjoint

faultlessjoint

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 January 2009 - 04:41 PM

Sad day. I'm with scrum on this. It's going to be hard to watch the braves this year. I doubt I'll purchase Extra Innings this year and only watch the locally televised games here (i.e. when they play the nationals).

There are two things that could have happened: Wren didn't offer smoltz enough money or smoltz didn't believe the braves had any shot at winning. Either way, it is a terrible sign for the future of the braves. I don't hold anything against smoltz.

This might be the most upsetting departure of a player in my 23 years of being a sports fan.

#13 Joscott

Joscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 08 January 2009 - 05:09 PM

I'll be honest, this pisses me off a lot. The Braves have done nothing but sit on their butts this off season and the one move they try to make blows up in their faces. I'm guessing Smoltz likes the money and being on a team that wants to do something.

#14 chbright

chbright

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:55 PM

fire wren. he is the joke of the league now. you have a guy that has been with the team since the 14 div streak started, the best pitcher you have and you let him walk. top that off with the deals that you let get away, and make a boneheaded one for a overpaid pitcher and frank wren single handedly will make the braves the worst team in baseball and kill the fan base. until this f*cker is booted out, i wont likely follow baseball anymore like others have said. way to turn fans away franky.

#15 chbright

chbright

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 January 2009 - 03:59 PM

wren wants to resign andrew jones supposedly as well. chipper isnt thrilled the smoltz deal and now glavin is not a lock to return to just the braves. can someone tell me why the hell this dumbass got the job.

Edited by chbright, 09 January 2009 - 04:33 PM.

#16 Joscott

Joscott

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 09 January 2009 - 04:30 PM

Now that I have cooled down some about this deal, I kind of see what the thinking was on the Braves part. There is a good chance that Smoltz will take some time before playing this season to rest up his arm and with his age, an injury like that is a big concern. Throwing $5 mil at him is not something the Braves would do considering that chance.

Still, Smoltz did so much for the organization that it hurts to see him leave and makes you wonder how hard the Braves actually tried to keep him. He just seems like the type of guy that wants to win first, the money comes latter. I think this says something about where the organization is headed and leaves a bad taste in the mouths of players close to him.

If they let Smoltz walk, they will let Chipper too it seems. That would be a very sad day.

#17 hmsmike

hmsmike

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:07 AM

Not as a starter I hope.....middle relief, hell yeah! Bring it on. Oh and I could buy my wife a Sox "Smoltz" jersey so she can throw her Braves one away :)

OMG, the thought of how pissed she will be if this happens!

:thumbsup:
HELL YEAH!!

#18 George Shinnsplints

George Shinnsplints

Franchise Destroyer

• PipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 January 2009 - 02:36 PM

This is a major bummer. I'm a Braves fan who lives in Boston and am NOT looking forward to seeing him in a Sox uniform.

#19 Davidson Deac II

Davidson Deac II

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 10 January 2009 - 06:24 PM

Not as a starter I hope.....middle relief, hell yeah! Bring it on. Oh and I could buy my wife a Sox "Smoltz" jersey so she can throw her Braves one away :)

OMG, the thought of how pissed she will be if this happens!

Why Middle Relief? If he recovers from his injury, then he should definitely start. And if I were a Red Sox fan, I would be highly pissed that a middle reliever got paid 5.5 million for one year.

#20 shinner

shinner

Anomaly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
HUDDLER

Posted 11 January 2009 - 01:14 PM

Why Middle Relief? If he recovers from his injury, then he should definitely start. And if I were a Red Sox fan, I would be highly pissed that a middle reliever got paid 5.5 million for one year.

Cause he's an old man who's starting days are behind him...he would be awesome as a setup guy for Pap. Never liked the Braves putting him back in the rotation after he did his stint in the bullpen. Guess they didn't have much choice with lack of talent among the starting pitchers but he was great out of the bullpen.

Oh, and the Sox middle relief isn't so great so we could use the help there.