Armed man arrested at airport as Obama leaves

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_CatofWar_*

Guest_CatofWar_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2010 - 04:14 AM

Digging the guy's name.

ASHEVILLE, N.C. - An armed man spotted at a North Carolina airport parking lot just after Air Force One departed Sunday told an officer he wanted to see the president and had a car equipped with police gear, including a siren and flashing lights, authorities said.

Joseph Sean McVey, 23, of Coshocton, Ohio, is charged with going armed in terror of the public, a misdemeanor, said Asheville Regional Airport Police Capt. Kevan Smith.

Security was heightened at the airport because President Barack Obama was leaving after spending the weekend vacationing in Asheville. He was headed to a memorial service for 29 West Virginia coal miners killed in an explosion.

At about 2 p.m., airport police saw McVey get out of a maroon car with Ohio plates and that he had a sidearm, Smith said. Both airport police and the Secret Service questioned him and he was taken into custody. The suspect was nowhere near the president's plane, which had just departed, and was in a rental car return lot that is open to the public, Smith said.

His car was equipped with clear LED law enforcement-style strobe lights in the front and rear dash, Smith said. The car also had a mounted digital camera in the front window, four large antennas on the trunk lid, and under the steering wheel was a working siren box. Smith said McVey was not in law enforcement.

Remote earpiece
When McVey got out of the car, he was listening to a handheld scanner and radio that had a remote earpiece, Smith said. Police said he was monitoring local agencies and had formulas for rifle scopes on a note in his cup holder. Police did not immediately elaborate on what the formulas might mean and Smith was not available to comment late Sunday.

McVey gave authorities an Ohio driver's license, but a computer check failed to show the number was valid, police said. His hometown of Coshocton is about halfway between Pittsburgh and Columbus, Ohio.

When Officer Kaleb Rice asked him what he was doing, McVey told him he heard the president was in town and wanted to see him.

Rice removed the firearm and took McVey into custody. He was being held at the Buncombe County jail on $100,000 bond.

The investigation into what McVey was doing with a gun, with formulas for rifle scopes and why his car was equipped with police gear was continuing, Smith said. The Secret Service had no comment on the arrest, deferring to airport police.

A jail officer said it didn't appear McVey had an attorney

The charge is a BS misdemeanor and his bond is ridiculous.

#2 Happy Panther

Happy Panther

Now even funnier.

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,596 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:52 AM

Did he break any laws?

Sounds psycho though

#3 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,552 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:12 AM

The problem with the whole, "He didn't break any laws...yet" mentality is that it's kind of hard to take a wait-and-see approach when a guy has a gun and is asking to see the President.

What are you supposed to do? Let him get close and see if he draws, then try to tackle him before he pulls the trigger? See how you react when you get notified that some stranger with a gun is asking to see you.

#4 Zod

Zod

YOUR RULER

• MFCEO
  • 20,084 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:16 AM

Sad that people are going to the defense of someone obviously interested in assassinating our president. Disgusting.

#5 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:18 AM

He was probably pissed about the traffic cluster fug that King Obama caused. I know I was pretty pissed. Closed down interstate exits for 90 minutes? AWESOME!

I think it was ridiculous how Obama being here on VACATION screwed up the normal routine for everyone else so badly. I hope he and no other person demanding this much security comes here ever again. His coming here also probably cost Buncombe county a small fortune.

I now officially hate the man.

#6 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

Grey Poupon Elitest Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 22,772 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:19 AM

But let's temper that with the knowledge that he could be the Anti Christ, that has to count for something, doesn't it?

#7 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:20 AM

But let's temper that with the knowledge that he could be the Anti Christ, that has to count for something, doesn't it?

It's in that thar book.

#8 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

McVey

#9 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,772 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:23 AM

He was probably pissed about the traffic cluster fug that King Obama caused. I know I was pretty pissed. Closed down interstate exits for 90 minutes? AWESOME!

I think it was ridiculous how Obama being here on VACATION screwed up the normal routine for everyone else so badly. I hope he and no other person demanding this much security comes here ever again. His coming here also probably cost Buncombe county a small fortune.

I now officially hate the man.

When he was here in Charlotte, we actually had to traverse the roads he may have been using. There were cops everywhere. We got into the shopping center where we were meeting family for lunch with no issues, ate and watched the road being closed off for 15 minutes, then everything went back to normal.

Asheville is a bit more of a tough nut traffic wise, and the GPI is kind of up in the hills but near the city so I'd imagine that it would be more of a hassle. But hating him for coming to your city for a vacation is kind of silly, and given our friend from Ohio showing up with his fake police car and rifle, the security measures were needed, don't you think?

#10 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:34 AM

When he was here in Charlotte, we actually had to traverse the roads he may have been using. There were cops everywhere. We got into the shopping center where we were meeting family for lunch with no issues, ate and watched the road being closed off for 15 minutes, then everything went back to normal.

Asheville is a bit more of a tough nut traffic wise, and the GPI is kind of up in the hills but near the city so I'd imagine that it would be more of a hassle. But hating him for coming to your city for a vacation is kind of silly, and given our friend from Ohio showing up with his fake police car and rifle, the security measures were needed, don't you think?

I'd rather he hadn't of come to interfere with the lives of very many for his own leisure. Hail King Obama.

No that security wasn't important. The guy got to the Airport anyway. Maybe the shutdown traffic made him late though.

Hating him for coming here on vacation is silly? Alright you sit on 240 for 90 minutes sweating your balls off and tell me if you don't hate the asshole responsible.

#11 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,772 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:40 AM

Since you knew he was coming, I'd say that the asshole responsible for you sitting on the interstate may not just be Obama.

You should be proud that you live in such a great place that the President likes going there. Asheville is a tourist place and he is Tourist #1 at the moment, can't get a lot better than that.

#12 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:42 AM

Since you knew he was coming, I'd say that the asshole responsible for you sitting on the interstate may not just be Obama.

You should be proud that you live in such a great place that the President likes going there. Asheville is a tourist place and he is Tourist #1 at the moment, can't get a lot better than that.

Oh my bad. It's my fault I have to drive to work gotcha.

#13 Captroop

Captroop

Pronounced, "Cat Poop"

• HUDDLER
  • 4,552 posts
  • LocationNot Telling... CatofWar might find me.

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:44 AM

Ever heard of working remotely? It's what almost all of DC did during that Nuclear Summit that turned the whole of the Capital into a security shitstorm

#14 Kral

Kral

Internet Legend

• HUDDLER
  • 6,828 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:46 AM

Ever heard of working remotely? It's what almost all of DC did during that Nuclear Summit that turned the whole of the Capital into a security poostorm

It's hard to do what I do remotely.

#15 cookinwithgas

cookinwithgas

• HUDDLER
  • 22,772 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:46 AM

Yep, all it would have taken is a small about of planning ahead. I timed our drive to the place we were meeting the family to happen right in the middle of Obamas speech instead of a bit later as we planned originally. It was not a big deal.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.