Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Okinawa says US troops can go now.

36 posts in this topic

Posted

Fine...move to Guam. Or pull back to Hawaii. But don't expect a quick reaction time if NK gets ronery and decides to piss everyone off.

Well obviously that's dumb. It could tip over.

2 people like this

Posted

Fine...move to Guam. Or pull back to Hawaii. But don't expect a quick reaction time if NK gets ronery and decides to piss everyone off.

This argument doesn't make that much sense. We can have a carrier group off the coast of NK in short order. probably one off the coast of China right now anyway. Missile strikes would take that long either.

When NK attacks SK our ground troops aren't going to make much difference to the 1/2M SK troops. And it will not be a ground war anyway. those times are past

Posted

This argument doesn't make that much sense. We can have a carrier group off the coast of NK in short order. probably one off the coast of China right now anyway. Missile strikes would take that long either.

When NK attacks SK our ground troops aren't going to make much difference to the 1/2M SK troops. And it will not be a ground war anyway. those times are past

re: SK...you're right. I'm talking region. There's obviously a need for us to have a base in the area, but response time is critical. Thousands of civilians were killed in short order by tyrants in the past...and we've only become more talented and proficient at killing. Hope it never happens to the levels ww2 took us to.

Posted

Well obviously that's dumb. It could tip over.

Win

Posted

I hope this starts spreading to the other occupied countries. Libertarians are ahead of the curve. :P

libertarians? ahead of the curve? this has been a liberal position since they marched for it in the 60s.

Posted

by marched i mean smoked pot.

Posted

libertarians? ahead of the curve? this has been a liberal position since they marched for it in the 60s.

I think libertarians want a strong defense but more isolationist.

Liberals want to solve the world's conflicts with Peace Maaaan

Posted

Because as we all know getting all of our troops back on US Soil with nothing to do but quell riots is a Libertarian mandate LOL

Posted

Might cut down on suicides anyway

Posted

From the French and Indian War to World War II there were 6 Major wars that were fought across the Globe, usually with each one more deadly than the last. All but one of them started in Europe and Spread to the US. There hasn't been a major globe encompassing war since 1945. The global presence of a Superpower, along with Nukes, is the thing that has kept the world at peace since 1945. All the small wars the US has been involved since don't add up to a month's worth of casualties from the worst months of World War II or World War I.

This is why the US maintains a global presence. Not to defend Germany or Japan, but to keep the peace.

Posted

I have never understood why countries around the world let us keep 10s of thousands of troops on their land. I get the benefit to the US as world police

Japan is an obvious one to say get the heck out. They have a sturdy army.

Cuba is a funny one. Basically we sent them a rent check a few decades ago and they refused to cash it. So we just stayed and they ignore us. Funny for a country that declared us evil and we have embargoed for 40 years

We have tons in Germany and Italy. I would have thought Germany would say..."so WWII was a long time ago..."

Or do they think we are a good deterrent against Russia?

29,000 troops in NK makes sense I guess

I'm not complaining, just is interesting

There are 0 American troops in NK.

The US has sent Cuba a rent check every month since the Spanish American War. Castro has never cashed a single one. But it is still sent every month.

The reason we're in Europe is because of NATO. When I was stationed in Germany, I worked with Germans, Brits, Estonians, Belgians, Frenchies, Canadians and the Dutch. When stationed int he US, well, I saw a Canadian General once.

Posted

by marched i mean smoked pot.

No you mean SPIT on soldiers who were FORCED to go to war!