• Please log in to reply
419 replies to this topic

#61 Rononoa3000

Rononoa3000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:35 PM

Looks like Martin is going to SS if this is true.
..Chris Harris was one of my favorites.

#62 CharlotteBeer.com

CharlotteBeer.com

Resident Beer Nerd

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,700 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:37 PM

Have you seen the Bears depth chart at LB??

Have you seen the Panthers depth chart at linebacker?

I'm not saying this guy isn't a good player--but why did we go after a linebacker, which is the position we're deepest at on defense?

#63 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:38 PM

I'm not going to do that, but it's getting harder and harder to root for this team. Jon Beason seems like he was drafted just yesterday, but he's now been on the defense longer than everybody but Gamble/TD/James Anderson. We're approaching the point where we're just rooting for a jersey at this point, a jersey that represents a cheapass, old owner that cares more about his bottom line than this team competing for a championship.

Yet I'm sure you complained when he "overpaid" when trying to retain Peppers and such. :frown2:

#64 cantrell

cantrell

secular progressive bogeyman

• HUDDLER
  • 4,447 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:39 PM

Did we just go back in time and trade the 07 Chris Harris? No? We traded the Chris Harris whose numbers have been in decline over the past 3 years? The Chris Harris with questionable (at best) coverage skills? The Chris Harris with a young, capable backup? Oh, OK.

STFU and GBTW.

#65 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,092 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

Have you seen the Panthers depth chart at linebacker?

I'm not saying this guy isn't a good player--but why did we go after a linebacker, which is the position we're deepest at on defense?

Possible insurance against Davis coming back strong from the injury.

Also, possible insurance if we can't get Davis signed.

#66 Sam Mills Fan

Sam Mills Fan

The Truth Sometimes Hurts

• HUDDLER
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:41 PM

Yet I'm sure you complained when he "overpaid" when trying to retain Peppers and such. :frown2:

Logical fallacy. You're making the faulty assumption that if somebody complains about an NFL owner cutting $50 million in payroll or whatever the number is up to now by trading away/cutting virtually all veterans of note then that person is being a hypocrite if he didn't also support paying a lazy player $20 million for a single season of work.

Newsflash: There IS a middle ground. Good teams know that. Teams that have never had consecutive winning seasons don't.

#67 MoreCowbell

MoreCowbell

• NEWB
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:42 PM

[Bears fan here, hoping to give you some perspective]

When team management is under fire, generally any move they make gets roasted by fans as another horrible mistake in a line of horrible mistakes. It happens with Carolina fans, Chicago fans, and pretty much every where else that hasn't won a SuperBowl recently.

Jamar Williams was drafted to replace Lance Briggs several years back when Lance was claiming he'd "played his last game in a Bears uniform" -- clearly that didn't turn out as expected.

Every time Jamar has had the chance to play as a WLB, he's flashed skills. In previous years, he's been touted by the Bears as the 4th LB, and has backed up all 3 starting LB positions, despite the fact that physically, he's far better suited to playing on the weak side in space than being a strong-side backer or MLB. Williams is incredibly athletic, and will be able to start for the Panthers rather than languishing in Briggs' shadow. He's talented enough that he can readily start as a 4-3 WLB or an 3-4 ILB without much difficulty -- you're going to be surprised by this guy.

#68 Proudiddy

Proudiddy

The Thread Killer (Since 2004)

• Moderators
  • 14,277 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:44 PM

Reports are also saying Harris is re-working his deal as part of the trade to CHI... So it wasn't about the money at all.

I don't have a problem with the trade. I have a problem with the compensation. Why do we need another scrub LB? We drafted Norwood. We have Anderson, Connor (who supposedly was a very attractive asset in the trade market this offseason) and a young talented guy like Morty Ivy. I don't get it??? Why another LB. That's my problem. And not that it's just a LB, it's a scrub. Why not just sign Donte Curry back if that's all you want? May as well have signed Landon Johnson back.

With the talk of Jarrett being released and I don't think Moore will be around much longer either, why not try to get a WR back? Maybe another DL?

Like I said, I didn't expect Harris to be around much longer b/c of the play of Godfrey (end of season) and Martin last year combined with his rants on twitter, but I just don't like the compensation - or lack thereof in this case.

#69 God

God

Attitude

• HUDDLER
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

When team management is under fire, generally any move they make gets roasted by fans as another horrible mistake in a line of horrible mistakes. It happens with Carolina fans, Chicago fans, and pretty much every where else that hasn't won a SuperBowl recently.

Jamar Williams was drafted to replace Lance Briggs several years back when Lance was claiming he'd "played his last game in a Bears uniform" -- clearly that didn't turn out as expected.

Every time Jamar has had the chance to play as a WLB, he's flashed skills. In previous years, he's been touted by the Bears as the 4th LB, and has backed up all 3 starting LB positions, despite the fact that physically, he's far better suited to playing on the weak side in space than being a strong-side backer or MLB. Williams is incredibly athletic, and will be able to start for the Panthers rather than languishing in Briggs' shadow. He's talented enough that he can readily start as a 4-3 WLB or an 3-4 ILB without much difficulty -- you're going to be surprised by this guy.

Thanks. Chris Harris is a solid player but you would think he was Troy Polamalu on this board.

#70 MadHatter

MadHatter

The Only Voice of Reason

• HUDDLER
  • 17,092 posts
  • LocationDark Side of the Moon

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:48 PM

I understand that you came in peace. However, he WILL NOT start at WLB in Carolina. He will be backing up Thomas Davis the same as he backed-up Briggs.

Also, Davis is a better WLB than Briggs.

#71 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Logical fallacy. You're making the faulty assumption that if somebody complains about an NFL owner cutting $50 million in payroll or whatever the number is up to now by trading away/cutting virtually all veterans of note then that person is being a hypocrite if he didn't also support paying a lazy player $20 million for a single season of work.

Newsflash: There IS a middle ground. Good teams know that. Teams that have never had consecutive winning seasons don't.

I actually didn't know what you thought of the Peppers stuff; I was just using him as an example. :chillpill:

#72 grateflday

grateflday

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,377 posts

I dont know about this one and at first thought this thread was a joke. I still think it might be. Maybe I wasnt paying enough attention last season, but it looked like Harris played well. I do not think I really saw much out of the other guys to think our Safety position will be better off without him??

Oh well, it is going to be an interesting team and season coming up. There is talent and they will surprise us. This team is going to be a whole new generation of players.

#73 Adrenaline

Adrenaline

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts

I'm confused, what's with all the outrage. I mean I liked Harris, but have felt like he was a liability more than an aid lately. A few bone-jarring hits don't make up for the lapses in coverage.

This pales in comparison to letting Hoover go b/c Fiametta showed me nothing last year. Harris has 2 capable people behind him that are both faster and younger.

#74 GIXXER1000

GIXXER1000

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • LocationColumbia, SC

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

F*KK IT!!!

We won games before him, and we'll win games after him...

That is my attitude about it, because I am a CAROLINA PANTHER FAN 4 LYFE, PERIOD! :dita:

No single player is bigger than the team, 'cept maybe Smitty and Double Trouble(DWillie/JStewie) considering they are pretty much our entire offense...LOL

It's apparent that Harris is unhappy/angry about the current wave of changes that are going on within the Panthers and he made the mistake of openly criticizing his boss onTwitter, which pretty much made the feeling mutual and he had to go, simple as that. He was not on board with the ultimate goal of winning a SB in the next few years with a strong core of young players who are talented and hungry to win starting positions as a Panther, so I'm fine with him leaving. I agree though the timing is kind of weird.

I for one am a huge fan of the PYM (Panther Youth Movement) because I understand that it is ultimately making us better by removing all the old fogey vets(Delhomme, Peppers, Hoover, Muhammad, etc, etc...) and breeding open competitions for their spots in training camp and pre-season.

Wish everyone could see the BIG PICTURE...

Edited by GIXXER1000, 27 April 2010 - 01:51 PM.

#75 chbright

chbright

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:49 PM

meh, like the idea of martin and godfrey on the field at the same time, but at the price of harris? the silver lining is martin has been a safety and in college was a good hitter and looked like a ballhawk when he got time at FS. idk if that translated to stopping the run, but he sounded like a willing tackler. also we drafted another young safety in pugh who can fly and the team apparently likes him at safety not CB. harris was not the greatest in coverage for even a SS, and with teams like the falcons, saints, and even the bucs with all their new shiny recievers, we had to think to win the south now, you gota stop the pass 1st, run 2nd.

consider we delt a 5th for him, sounds like we got the same in return. not a bad rental if thats all it really was.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com - IP Content Design by Joshua Tree / TitansReport.