#46 pantherclaw

pantherclaw

Wise Ass

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,585 posts
  • LocationGalveston

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:23 PM

Ahhh, another senseless thread whining about letting a favorite player go.
CRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYY ME A RIVER!!!!!!
WAAAAA

and wa some more. Please, keep it up, cause none of us are tired of it yet.

#47 NanceUSMC

NanceUSMC

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:46 PM

Didn't the Panthers raise ticket prices for next year?

Thinkin' the Rams did too, yes?

#48 Saint J

Saint J

Banned

• Banned
  • 4,192 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 08:59 PM

For a opposing team's perspective...

I've always thought of Harris as an average SS but the Panthers' secondary has generally been ''different'' with him in there. Sort of like our secondary was with Sharper. I remember your secondary seeming a lot tougher once he returned from injury last year and he's played us well since 2007 or so when he came over. Guys that like that are leaders and their value can't really be pointed out fully in stats. With him gone your top players in the secondary include a half retarded corner back and a guy sort of in limbo with Marshall. yikes...

#49 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 38,461 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:09 AM

He inherited a 1-15 team, and it appears he is intent on leaving one for the next guy.

Delhomme, Peppers, Harris, Hoover, Diggs, Kemo, Lewis....this is what Seifert did before 2001, saying the Panthers were doomed to 7-9 seasons unless they went with a youth movement. He ditched Beuerlein and other vets, and when things went South, he had no one in his locker room to turn to.

Trading Harris makes NO sense.

You and I generally agree. Can't go with you on this one, though.

May or may not agree with the reasons, but I think there are reasons.

#50 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,642 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:18 AM

I've always thought of Harris as an average SS but the Panthers' secondary has generally been ''different'' with him in there. Sort of like our secondary was with Sharper. I remember your secondary seeming a lot tougher once he returned from injury last year and he's played us well since 2007 or so when he came over. Guys that like that are leaders and their value can't really be pointed out fully in stats. With him gone your top players in the secondary include a half retarded corner back and a guy sort of in limbo with Marshall. yikes...

My point exactly in another thread. It sometimes takes someone from outside the team to see things clearly. Harris is alot like Sharper is for the Saints. He isn't the most gifted guy but is always around the ball and elevates the guys around him.

I wish people here could see that leadership and intangibles are as valuable or more than 40 times and cover speed alone.

#51 rico6

rico6

Shit.

• HUDDLER
  • 6,675 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:28 AM

A Saints-fuging-Fan Get's It.

#52 top dawg

top dawg

The Creative Cat

• HUDDLER
  • 7,060 posts
  • LocationWITHIN MY MIND'S EYE

Posted 28 April 2010 - 12:53 AM

He inherited a 1-15 team, and it appears he is intent on leaving one for the next guy.

Delhomme, Peppers, Harris, Hoover, Diggs, Kemo, Lewis....this is what Seifert did before 2001, saying the Panthers were doomed to 7-9 seasons unless they went with a youth movement. He ditched Beuerlein and other vets, and when things went South, he had no one in his locker room to turn to.

Trading Harris makes NO sense.

Delhomme..???....LOL LOL LOL. Man, it was time for hime to go. What didn't make sense was the contract extension. This was the dumbest move in franchise history as far as I'm concerned. I didn't particularly like them just letting Pep go, either, but I know why they did it, and I'm good with it. Pep was costing us too much for what he was producing (or not), and it seems like he wanted to leave anyway (otherwise he would have signed when they gave him a chance). Hoover is debatable, but (like it or not) he was getting old and the FO deemed him expendable. I know he was a fan favorite, but the FO is probably right. With Fiametta (and Sutton filling in in a jam), we probably can get by without Hoover. You knew it had to be coming with the drafting of Fiametta. Diggs, Kemo and Lewis, like it or not, truly were expendable. Not one is really exceptional. They are average to good, so it's not like their productivity can't be asily matched or exceeded.

In general, this Panthers team has so much more talent (and young talent) than Siefert's hack job, that I just can't get with your comparison. This is comparing apples to oranges (and possibly "golden" apples at that). We still have enough young, veteran leadership that I don't see leadership as an issue.

I will admit that I was surprised as you that they traded Harris. I would have felt more comfortable with him on the field, but it's not like the end of the world.

Although Fox has had tough going two out of the last three years, there is no way I think that his is tanking the team. In fact, I believe that the moves he has made this offseason have made a whole helluva lot of sense, if not for the short run, but definitely the long run. Just like Fox, the Panthers will not be also-rans come the next few seasons (even this one).

#53 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:24 AM

Thinkin' the Rams did too, yes?

Rams drafted Sam Bradford, signed an Eagles QB who played well under their OC, about to sign Westbrook, too....they aren't slashing payroll AND raising ticket prices. That's gashing your fans.

#54 Matt Foley

Matt Foley

• HUDDLER
  • 15,983 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 02:32 AM

Meat is correct here, Brad Hoover was a shining example of how to run straight ahead into a 350 pound nose tackle for half of a yard.

Brad Hoover played hurt 90 percent of the time. And yet he was still a top-five fullback almost every year. The Hoover and Harris moves don't make sense because they weren't necessary, talent-wise, and they were unexplainable, leadership-wise. Delhomme? Yes. Although like I've said pumping up Moore for four months only to cut him off at the knees on draft day also makes no sense.

Face it, the entire organization has been operating as if it was rudderless for over a year now. The sons getting fired. The Delhomme saga. The Peppers fiasco. Talented stars wanting out. Loyal stars getting cut. None of it looks like a team that can compete with the Super Bowl champions. In fact, in this hypercompetitive league, it's looking more like a team that's ready to hit rock bottom and build up again. Tell me I'm wrong.

#55 Guest_silver82blade_*

Guest_silver82blade_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:54 AM

you're wrong. we have a lot of strong pieces to an elite team. we just need a better strong safety, some run stuffers on the d-line, and maybe a pash rusher at de. i'd hardly consider that rock bottom. for all the complaining about a few boneheaded moves, we are way better off than some teams. in fact, we have a better team than most teams. maybe just not playoff calibre.

#56 CatMan72

CatMan72

KEEP POUNDING

• HUDDLER
  • 15,040 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:26 AM

Thanks troll.

#57 PantherBrew

PantherBrew

Educated White Trash

• HUDDLER
  • 6,036 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:45 AM

LOL @ you guys.

Sharper was/is a probowl player.

Sharper was a DPOY canidate last year.

Dont get me wrong, I loved me some hard-hitting Chris Harris, but he was an average player. Above average in run, below average in pass.

With that said, typically, this is a young mans game and a passing league.

You do the math, and if you cant ask Fiz.

#58 catfang

catfang

• HUDDLER
  • 6,253 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:46 AM

The troll is right. Harris had his limitations but he was definitely a leader on the field.

#59 Hairless Cat

Hairless Cat

Thread Diddler

• HUDDLER
  • 2,356 posts
  • LocationShotgun Shack

Posted 28 April 2010 - 07:51 AM

with the exception of Harris every one they have gotten rid of makes sense to me.

You want delhomme back? gmafb

#60 LawCat

LawCat

• NEWB
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:30 AM

I understand that a lot of panther fans are upset about so many of the classy veteran players being released this off-season. However, I am really not. Sure Brad Hoover was a great guy, and a fan favorite, but he was old and an average NFL fullback. We had a promising young player sitting right behind him who is more athletic and probably going to be a better overall player. I think you could say this with every player that we released.

I don't know whose call it is to go with this so called "youth movement" (assume it's JRs) but is it really a bad idea? With an uncertain labor situation on the horizon, I am encouraged that the team ownership is taking precautions to ensure the survival of the franchise were there to be a lockout. The path the team has taken will ensure that they will be one of the most well positioned teams, both financially and personnel-wise following any sort of extended labor dispute. We will be rife with young players who will not be significantly harmed by sitting out a season. Had we kept Brad Hoover , let him play this year and then there was work stoppage in 2011, our only FB with starting experience when football resumed would be out of shape and on the wrong side of 30. I would rather Tony Fiametta get a year of experience under his belt this year, and if there is a lockout in 2011, our starting FB will be young and experienced and ready to go once football starts back up. Again, you can say this about every player released and their respective replacement. Maake, Damion Lewis, Diggs, Delhomme, etc.

If there is not a lockout, we will still be in good shape. We will have a team full younger, cheap players that will gain experience and eventually become as good as any of the guys we let go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com