Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

blackcatgrowl

Your thoughts on Hunting

How do you feel about hunting of wild animals?   51 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about hunting of wild animals?

• I think it’s a GREAT sport!
    • I think it’s a legitimate way to obtain food.
    • I think its important people know how to hunt in case of a collapse of society.
    • I think it’s inhumane and not necessary for our survival.
    • I have no opinion on it.
    • Other – Specify below

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

75 posts in this topic

I see a counterweight and evidence that it is a compound bow... I'd respect him more if it were a recurve...

These days, hunting is only NECESSARY when there is overpopulation of a species that might upset the balance of an ecosystem. Now...I grew up next to an avid hunting family and I have nothing against it if it is fair, you consume what you kill, don't take more then your limit. I DO NOT believe in hunting for sport. A lot of people have their heads up their @sses and don't realize that wild animals, especially larger wild animals are being encroached on and are losing their natural food chain, thus forcing them to prey on other game. That is one reason you've seen so many cougar and mt. lion attacks on joggers and hikers and even kids in their own neighborhoods in Cal and Col. the past 8-10 years.[/QUOTE]

The reason for the Lion attacks in California is not because of hunting but because of the lack there of. See the tree huggers of Cali. voted to ban Mt. Lion hunting some 10 to 15 years ago, the only natural enemy Cougars have in Cal. is man himself, with nothing to control their numbers the Mt lions outgrew their food sources, and also became unafraid of man, and when theres not enough food to go around the younger cougars and older ones have to find something easier to prey on, and thats where the attacks on people's pets , children and the occasional jogger in a sports bra with an Ipod came into play.

The same thing will happen around the south in the next few years but it want be Mt. Lions it will be Coyotes doing the damage ( I'm not saying yotes are gonna attack grownups) but children and pets are more to their liking.

A coyote is a killing machine, it will eat whatever it has to, to survive if it can't find any small game it will eat soy beans are corn to survive, they breed like crazy and their numbers are increasing dramatically in the south. Coyote hunting is legal in North and South Carolina but their numbers have went unchecked for too long already.

And also there is nothing wrong with trophy hunting, if a person has set a standard for themselves to shoot the biggest buck they can, what is the problem. Just because they are after a large set of horns doesnt mean they don't eat the meat also.

This ain't the old west and Buffalo hunting where they shot everything they saw, skin it out and left the meat behind.

I have shot quite a few large bucks and they adorn my walls now, out of respect for that beautuful animal and for me to be able to look back and relive each wonderful hunt that they were taken on. It's not only about the hunt or kill but about all the great times shared with good friends.

Oh BTW every one of those trophy bucks along with all the other game I have been blessed to take were thoroughly enjoyed by my family and I at the dinner table.

Eat what you kill. I have passed up on shooting a buck because it might be bigger in a year or two. I guess you could say I'm both part of the "sport" of hunting and a man that just enjoys delicious animals. :)

Coyotes don't kill pets. They hunt them.

Just sayin'.

Pops is american indian (x2 more than me) and says if you kill something you should honor it and use as much of the carcass as possible.

I'm too lazy to do that so i don't hunt.

The reason for the Lion attacks in California is not because of hunting but because of the lack there of. See the tree huggers of Cali. voted to ban Mt. Lion hunting some 10 to 15 years ago, the only natural enemy Cougars have in Cal. is man himself, with nothing to control their numbers the Mt lions outgrew their food sources, and also became unafraid of man, and when theres not enough food to go around the younger cougars and older ones have to find something easier to prey on, and thats where the attacks on people's pets , children and the occasional jogger in a sports bra with an Ipod came into play.

The same thing will happen around the south in the next few years but it want be Mt. Lions it will be Coyotes doing the damage ( I'm not saying yotes are gonna attack grownups) but children and pets are more to their liking.

A coyote is a killing machine, it will eat whatever it has to, to survive if it can't find any small game it will eat soy beans are corn to survive, they breed like crazy and their numbers are increasing dramatically in the south. Coyote hunting is legal in North and South Carolina but their numbers have went unchecked for too long already.

And also there is nothing wrong with trophy hunting, if a person has set a standard for themselves to shoot the biggest buck they can, what is the problem. Just because they are after a large set of horns doesnt mean they don't eat the meat also.

This ain't the old west and Buffalo hunting where they shot everything they saw, skin it out and left the meat behind.

I have shot quite a few large bucks and they adorn my walls now, out of respect for that beautuful animal and for me to be able to look back and relive each wonderful hunt that they were taken on. It's not only about the hunt or kill but about all the great times shared with good friends.

Oh BTW every one of those trophy bucks along with all the other game I have been blessed to take were thoroughly enjoyed by my family and I at the dinner table.

RIF

I said encroachment, not hunting. Actually you are incorrect on the matter. They are running out of their food source in their natural habitat and often have to venture into areas they are unfamiliar with. Most of the cases here in Cal. the animal usually is emaciated and obviously starving; hence the attacking of humans. Depending on the areas, we've either moved in and set up shop (developments) or we've caused their food source to disappear.

Coyotes on the other hand is a different story and about to be a problem. When you have coyotes on the East Coast, you know something's up.

I hunt I dont stand hunt I get out in the woods and try to stalk the deer and get in the woods. Growing up deer meat was a main staple for me as it was a cheap alternative to cow meat. Now that I am older I still hunt but it is not the killing of the deer I enjoy. It is the challenge of killing it and just realising how easy it is we have it in life now.

Coyotes don't kill pets. They hunt them.

Just sayin'.

You really think it's that hard for a coyote to kill some little foo foo house dog that is let out in the middle of the night to relieve itself?? " just saying" you think a yote has to plan some elaborate stalk to hunt and kill that poor little house pet while it is taking a dump in it's front yard.:rolleyes:

I understand what your saying about encroaching ,same thing to an extent is happening around here with all the housing developments. But they are not running out of their food source because of hunting. Their food source isn't being killed off by hunters but drove away and killed off because of surburban development. There would be alot less starved and emaciated cougars if they would legalize Mt. Lion hunting.

The only predator that Mt. Lions have is man himself when you don't allow hunting of these animals , their numbers go unchecked couple that with all the encroachment and it would not matter their natural territory would not even be able to sustain all the cougars food requirements.

Hence the attacks on easier targets.

1 person likes this

If you eat what you kill, I got no beef. I eat meat, and I won't give you shiz because you choose to eat meat you kill instead of a butcher. Hunting for sport is the stupidest of all stupid human activities. If you think killing a 120 pound herbivore, with a high-powered rifle and camouflage is a challenge, you are sofa king wee todd did.

If you want to make hunting a sport, the rule should be that you can kill anything in the game preserve; other hunters included. Because then the hunter can't just stalk a deer, he's got to constantly be on the lookout for other hunters, move stealthily, quietly and invisibly. The thrill of the kill tempered with a constant sense of fear for your life. A pounding sense of paranoia that at any moment you could be in someone's crosshairs, and that you can't linger anywhere too long (much less in a camouflaged stand in a tree with a six pack of PBR). That's a fuggin' sport right there.

Plus it would cull the herd of rednecks in this country a little

You really think it's that hard for a coyote to kill some little foo foo house dog that is let out in the middle of the night to relieve itself??

About as hard as shooting a deer stopping to nibble on something from 50 ft away with a projectile that travels much faster than they can run.

there's a right to hunt? since when?

Falls in with the rights to: Have a good paying job, have a house, have free healthcare....

One of the biggest reasons to support hunting of Deer in NC is to keep the population under control. They have no natural predators that I can think of and without a hunting season they would die from starvation/disease/cars.

Understand there exists a difference in "Sport" and "trophy" hunting.

One is just killing things, the other is killing things that have reached a certain age/standard.