#16 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,936 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:28 PM

I'd say Az-Zahir Hakim is a better receiver comparison than Ricky Proehl.

#17 Achilles

Achilles

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:36 PM

I would totally go out and buy an A. Edwards jersey right now...

but I think he should do like Brazilian soccer players and just go by his 1st name...

Mixon: "Moore pass to Armanti in the end zone...TD!!!!"

#18 DaveThePanther2008

DaveThePanther2008

Member from WAAAYY Back

• ALL-PRO
  • 3,266 posts
  • LocationMelfa

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:50 PM

I'd say Az-Zahir Hakim is a better receiver comparison than Ricky Proehl.

Az-Zahir Hakim couldn't sniff Ricky Proehl jock.

Proehl played 17 season and had 7 of those season he had more yardage than Hakims best of 9 season.

Proehl was a stud and a great slot receiver. Hakim was adequate.

I would love to see Edwards do the things in the slot until Smitty retires and then move out to the #1 spot.

#19 Nu Guns

Nu Guns

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:08 PM

Proehl ?? I am expecting much more from Edwards

#20 Miaoww

Miaoww

• HUDDLER
  • 2,730 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:27 PM

Proehl played 17 season and had 7 of those season he had more yardage than Hakims best of 9 season.

I would love to see Edwards do the things in the slot until Smitty retires and then move out to the #1 spot.

Bingo. Hakim was just a quick slot guy that benefited from playing alongside; Warner, Faulk, Holt, and Bruce all in their primes. People literally forgot to cover him.

#21 ChucktownK

ChucktownK

Gitmo Nation Detainee

• HUDDLER
  • 12,043 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:37 PM

I don't know, but if Edwards is even half the asset to the team that Ricky Proehl was, then I'm all for it. Ricky was the best thing since Wesley Walls was doing amazing things, and I for one would sure love to see that kind of production from a receiver other than Steve Smith again!

Yeah except Edwards trumps any amount of athletic ability Proehl ever had.

yeah's like ricky proehl... if proehl weren't slow white and awkward...

Ricky more than made up for his shortcomings.

#22 megadeth078

megadeth078

hate hate hate

• HUDDLER
  • 3,997 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:58 PM

You guys know the rule:

"Only caucasian wide receivers of the Carolina Panthers football organization can be considered for and given the title of 'Our new Ricky Proehl' and any according threads must be started as soon as said player joins team and skin color is recognized. There may be a waiting period administered to ensure correct color identification, slow speed, awkward athleticism and capability of handling homer-induced overratedness. No blacks."

wat are u guys? nuobs?

Edited by megadeth078, 06 May 2010 - 06:13 PM.

#23 LelouchBritannia

LelouchBritannia

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:11 PM

I hope he turns out to be another Ricky Proehl, but really if he does it would be 5 or 10 years down the road. The reason Ricky was great at what he did was because he outsmarted the guy across from him, despite his limitations. And I doubt a rookie would have the experience or expertise to do so, and he doesnt seem to really have the lack of speed. But if he does turn out to be another incredibly intelligent receiver i'm all for it.

#24 theedaddy

theedaddy

living in the present

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:20 PM

rickey was white???

#25 Wither

Wither

Relatively Unknown Poster

• HUDDLER
  • 9,215 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

rickey was white???

Win.

#26 CarolinaPantherSinceDay1

CarolinaPantherSinceDay1

• HUDDLER
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:43 PM

I've said it before if Smitty is Mighty Mouse than Armageddon is Sonic the Hedgehog...meaning the FO knew when Smith said he didnt wanna be #1 any more we had to find the next S.Smith...and I'm not talking about the Giants WR

#27 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• HUDDLER
  • 37,936 posts
  • LocationSC

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:10 PM

Bingo. Hakim was just a quick slot guy that benefited from playing alongside; Warner, Faulk, Holt, and Bruce all in their primes. People literally forgot to cover him.

Think style, not substance.

Proehl was a big, strong guy with a knack for finding the soft spots in coverage. That's not Edwards profile at all.

Edwards is a small, fast guy with the athleticism to exploit mismatches and also do some return work, like Hakim.

Hakim could arguably have been more successful had he stayed where he was rather than trying to be a number two elsewhere. The question that will come with time is will Edwards have that limitation or be successful enough to be another Steve Smith type?

We'll see.

Edited by Mr Scot, 07 May 2010 - 12:13 AM.

#28 panthers55

panthers55

Starting all over again

• HUDDLER
  • 16,626 posts
  • LocationAt the lake

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:31 PM

Think style, not substance.

Proehl was a big, strong guy with a knack for finding the soft spots in coverage. That's not Edwards profile at all. Edwards is a small, fast guy with the athleticism to exploit mismatches and also do some return work, like Hakim.

Hakim could arguably have been more successful had he stayed where he was rather than trying to be a number two elsewhere. The question that will come with time is will Edwards have that limitation or be successful enough to be another Steve Smith type?

We'll see.

Exactly. These guys will get it done in very different ways I expect. But if both of them can contribute the same then our offense could be very good. I used to be amazed and how well Ricky could come in on third down and always seem to be wide open in a seam running downfield. He an uncanny ability to read the defense and find the weakness in the secondary.

Early reports are that Edwards is advanced at this point. If that means because he was a quarterback he can read defenses, then he might be able to do the same thing. His speed and leaping ability will surely be an asset as well. If he has half the fire that Smith does, we got a steal in the 3rd round.

#29 ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

ItsNotGonnaBeAlright

Insane Racist Moron

• HUDDLER
  • 6,218 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:52 PM

Again, I'll make this statement:

In two years, we'll all be wondering how the Panthers were ever good without Armanti Edwards.

That puts a lot of pressure on the young man, I know. But I believe in him.

#30 chris999

chris999

• HUDDLER
  • 5,023 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 May 2010 - 09:54 PM

Yeah except Edwards trumps any amount of athletic ability Proehl ever had.

i agree. accually, he reminds me more of our new steve smith, then proel.

of course, whos to say how good he will really be, we have never seen him on the feild.

but just like steve, he is fast, he is athletic, and the kid is a winner. it would be awesome if he turns out to be like desean jackson, or percy harvin, but he definately not be a proel like receiver.

Edited by chris999, 06 May 2010 - 09:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Shop at Amazon Contact Us: info@carolinahuddle.com